British jazz reissues

RogerF

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Interesting. I thought I’d heard he was doing more conventional jazz trios in Istanbul but I could be wrong. Good that he will benefit from this one and that it will get some belated recognition. Not sure I agree with the OBI blurb about it being one of the top 10 British Jazz records of all time but it is well up there, for sure.

he's got a webpage... I'd say you are both right...

http://armanratip.net/indexEN.html

37 minutes ago, felser said:

Checked out the sample on Discogs, and it sounds like a great set.  No CD?

Yeah, i’d forgotten just how good it was and was playing the YouTube sample. I think this issue is on digital download or LP.

’Introducing the Arman Ratip Trio’ is also on YouTube. Much more conventional and from first listening, a lesser session.

Edited by sidewinder

• 5 months later...
59 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

An exceptional month for Barbara Thompson fans. Not only does she have her autobiography published but there’s also a box set 14CD issue of her BBC recordings.

https://barbara-thompson.co.uk/product/barbara-thompson-live-at-the-bbc/

Crikey, that's Braxtonesque.  A bit too much of a good thing for me but nice to see her get this treatment

There are some fascinating looking things in the box. New Jazz Orchestra with Neil Ardley. A Mike Taylor tribute shortly after Taylor’s passing. Some early string compositions. Plus plenty of broadcasts by the likes of Jubiaba and Paraphanelia. I remember broadcasts by some of these groups back in the day - nice that they are now re-available. I feel an Xmas present coming on !

7 hours ago, sidewinder said:

An exceptional month for Barbara Thompson fans. Not only does she have her autobiography published but there’s also a box set 14CD issue of her BBC recordings.

https://barbara-thompson.co.uk/product/barbara-thompson-live-at-the-bbc/

Are these recordings merely performances, or would there be a lot of talking and conversation as well?

5 hours ago, GA Russell said:

As long as the speechifying is short, that sounds great!

The recent Alan Wakeman release on Gearbox should give some idea of the spoken content. Personally, I am glad when they leave them in.

Barbara’s bands in the 70s and 80s were quite frequently on ‘Sounds of Jazz’ and ‘Jazz In Britain’ and I remember several of these.

21 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

The recent Alan Wakeman release on Gearbox should give some idea of the spoken content. Personally, I am glad when they leave them in.

Whilst they are the reason I haven't yet bought the release. I really don't need to hear a line up announcement every time I listen to the music. I can read.

• 5 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, RogerF said:

I like the intros mainly because of the late, great Peter Clayton’s insightful and humorous contributions. On a couple of the Thompson discs there are rare intro by Ian Carr, a genuine treat.

Totally agree, Roger. That Barbara Thompson box is definitely on my radar - just starting to read her autobiography.

With the forthcoming new ‘Jazz In Britain’ releases, this is an unexpected cornucopia in challenging times.

On 21/01/2021 at 7:08 AM, RogerF said:

On a couple of the Thompson discs there are rare intro by Ian Carr, a genuine treat.

Ian fluffing the intros on the ‘with strings’ second session on CD2 is a classic. Surprisingly, there seems to be an extra track (a very good NJO-type thing) by just the jazz group after the intros which is not mentioned in the booklet listing and which presumably was not broadcast but was recorded. 

Presumably also the sessions credited to the Temple Music archive were from master copies given to Barbara and Jon by the BBC Engineer?  Whatever is the case, the sound is first rate and the mastering job done for this set also excellent.

An absolute cornucopia ! :tup

The Barbara Thompson box wasn't on my radar, but it does seem tempting, esp. some of the big band broadcasts on the first few CDs.  I'll give it some more thought and also see what the shipping costs are as everything shakes out.  I mentioned elsewhere that Amazon.co.uk rates to North America are sheer piracy now, but sometimes there are better rates going direct with other vendors.

Going through the BBC site shipping charges are roughly £15 to Canada and £19 to the US.  I guess that is the Commonwealth-bonus? ^_^

Certainly steeper than I like and I may hold off for a while and/or see if a North American distributor turns up.

Edited by ejp626

I recommend it. Only through the first 2 CDs so far but there is important stuff on here. Not least the Mike Taylor tribute performances on CD2 with a band featuring Barbara, Dave Gelly and vibist Frank Ricotti, with Howard Riley on piano and Jack Bruce on bass (and vocals !). I’m a fanatic for jazz of this type over this era but it does have a ‘Dead Sea Scrolls’ feel concerning the important Taylor material, which seems to have been recorded over the air by a fan. Superb !

Nice booklet too, with very fine essay by Dave Gelly.

10 minutes ago, ejp626 said:

The Barbara Thompson box wasn't on my radar, but it does seem tempting, esp. some of the big band broadcasts on the first few CDs.  I'll give it some more thought and also see what the shipping costs are as everything shakes out.  I mentioned elsewhere that Amazon.co.uk rates to North America are sheer piracy now, but sometimes there are better rates going direct with other vendors.

You can also buy direct from Barbara’s Temple Music site - they might be able to do something better on the shipping. Barbara’s excellent bio can also be bought from there.

Edited by sidewinder

12 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

You can also buy direct from Barbara’s Temple Music site - they might be able to do something better on the shipping. Barbara’s excellent bio can also be bought from there.

Thanks for the tip, though unfortunately they are about £5 higher than the BBC site...

The other option I was wondering about was Rough Trade US. The UK site stocks it but the US site doesn’t seem to.

Worth keeping an eye open to see if Dusty gets it in !

JPC are also stocking it over in Germany and their site has some useful sound samples for the first disk with the NJO and Taylor tribute.

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/barbara-thompson-live-at-the-bbc/hnum/10328404

Edited by sidewinder

Not sure if the readers of this thread are aware but Barbara Thompson and Ian Carr also feature on the upcoming archival release of Neil Ardley's Kaleidoscope of Rainbows Live '75 recorded at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, London. This is a double CD release by Jazz In Britain (pre-order via Bandcamp) and from listening to the promo tracks on their Bandcamp site this is an absolutely superb album in high quality stereo. 

Kaleidoscope.jpg

Edited by RogerF