Blade Runner the Final Cut

7/4

I saw the final cut in an nyc theater a couple months ago, and was left wondering what all the fuss was about. I've seen the director's cut many, many times and I could barely perceive a difference between the final cut and the director's cut except for maybe a subtle improvement of the picture (and the weird unicorn scene seemed a little longer). The special effects were distinctly 2D.

That being said, A) it is still a great movie and I appreciated the chance to see it in the theater again and B) I'm sure the DVD/Blu Ray of the final cut will be superior to those of the director's cut, but that seems to just beg the question of the point in packaging both together.

I'm a fan of Harrison Ford, I'm a sci-fi fan, I'm a fan of PKD...but I didn't like this movie when it originally came out, I didn't like the director's cut any better and I doubt I'll get around to seeing yet another version. For some reason the film has always struck me as being flat and lifeless. This has nothing to do with the "tone", just the execution.

I wonder when they'll remake this starring Will Smith...

So is this new movie "I Am Legend" that he's in a remake of "Omega Man"? That's the first thought I had when I saw the preview.

I Am Legend is the title of the original novel by Richard Matheson. It has been filmed as "The Last Man On Earth" starring Vincent Price and "The Omega Man" and has been ripped off countless times (Night of the Living Dead, etc).

It's one of my favorite novels but I'm so turned off by the leading man choice that I'll skip it thank you very much.

I wonder when they'll remake this starring Will Smith...

So is this new movie "I Am Legend" that he's in a remake of "Omega Man"? That's the first thought I had when I saw the preview.

I Am Legend is the title of the original novel by Richard Matheson. It has been filmed as "The Last Man On Earth" starring Vincent Price and "The Omega Man" and has been ripped off countless times (Night of the Living Dead, etc).

It's one of my favorite novels but I'm so turned off by the leading man choice that I'll skip it thank you very much.

Thanks for the info, Shawn. Yes, Will Smith seems to be Mr. Sci-Fi these days, doesn't he?

Awww.... :blush:

Actually, I agree with your post about Bladerunner, Shawn. I had much the same reaction. I didn't like the original theatrical release, but then everyone said the Director's Cut was WAY better, don't miss it, etc. Well, I saw it, and despite jettisoning most of the dumb-as-dirt (would-be) noirish voiceovers the film still struck me as pretty bad. For me all the atmoshere in the world doesn't compensate for a lame story and lousy adaptation. Admittedly, I suffer from the inability to forget the book. In grand Hollywood fashion they manage to subvert everything that made the book interesting and replace it with set dressing and rain.

• 3 weeks later...

I see what you're saying Bruce and agree in some big ways. . . .But I still like the film. I have succeded in considering it a "non Dick" movie and when viewed that way it is more enjoyable for me. There is still the germ of part of what Dick had written, but turned on its ear. I think that at one point in the film-making the direction was changed and the new direction was never fully realized. What does suffer is the story-telling. . .yet in some ways the lack of plot and narrative definition makes it more REAL for me. Real life is not as exciting as pot-boiler novel life or thrilling cinema. And after many viewings I really like the "real life" parts of this movie, the noodle house scenes, the scenes of Deckard in his apartment with a drink, or at the ESPER, or Sebastian in his kitchen with guests. . . .In this instance the mood and atmosphere contribute to making these parts riveting.

I received the five disc set and have watched most of it (I haven't yet watched the 240 minute documentary "Dangerous Days"--that I hope to watch this weekend.) There are many fascinating parts to this set. There are about an hour and a half of material about Dick and the novel and how the novel differs from the film, with about 5 minutes of video footage of Dick discussing his works, and about 20 minutes of audio from telephone interviews with Dick about the book, the movie and Scott. That's all fascinating stuff. There are interesting features about the design and the effects and other production details. And the work print was quite interesting to see, as is a "mini Blade Runner" version cobbled together from alternate scenes that features a lot of narrations and is sort of a different version of the film (sort of like the android police station is a different version of the real station in the book!) I'm very happy with this set. The sound and picture are stunning in comparison with earlier releases.

I don't think the film was ever about being an adaptation of the book. Clearly from the documentary it was the ideas that the book presented that were more interesting than the content. Though it is true that the direction changed from the original screenplay once they established Scott as the director, and with the inclusion of another screenwriter, which was controversial for those involved in the beginning. I might be alone in this, but every time I see this film, I don't think of it as sci fi nor noir.

Thanks Adam!! Appreciate it.

Given the fact that the 4 disc set is only $10 or so more than the 2 disc set, I'll probably spring for that one. I've never seen the theatrical edition, and it also includes the Director's Cut, which is the only version I know and enjoy.

This is probably the version I'll end up springing for as well.

Thanks Adam!! Appreciate it.

Given the fact that the 4 disc set is only $10 or so more than the 2 disc set, I'll probably spring for that one. I've never seen the theatrical edition, and it also includes the Director's Cut, which is the only version I know and enjoy.

This is probably the version I'll end up springing for as well.

For those with (or contemplating) HD-DVD or BluRay, you can get the 5-disc set for around $25.

Received my 4 disc set and went straight to watching the US Theatrical cut, which I had never seen before. Quite the different viewing experience from the 1992 Director's cut! I haven't quite pulled together all my thoughts on it yet, but I do prefer the 1992 ending to the "happy" ending from the original. Also, I didn't mind Deckard's narration that much at all. It was interesting to see the film that way....and with all the horror stories I'd heard about the narration, was expecting something much worse.

Next week I think I'll take in the Final cut as well as the documentary. This is a very nice DVD set, by the way! I was impressed at how good the sound and picture were, even the Theatrical cut (which is on the same disc as the International version and the 92 Directors cut).

Edited by sal