That Old Black Magic

Uncle Skid

I'm looking at a drum chart for a Frank Mantooth arrangement of Harold Arlen's "That Old Black Magic", and struggling to make sense out of the song structure...

Lots of eight bar phrases, but one that appears to be either 14 or 6, and another that looks like 10.

Anybody familiar with this arrangement, or the structure of this tune in general?

It does go on, doesn't it...

Can't reel off the form off the top of my head, but I strongly suggest that you become familiar with a vocal version. The structure actually seems organic in the context of the lyrics, which give you something to hold on to when playing/learning the song instrumentally. Trust me on this.

Myself, I really dig the Louis Prima/Keeley Smith version, but there's others that are more "in-line" ;)

There's a great late-40s Stan Getz side where he just blows on the changes, no head or nothing, called "Diaper Pin". That's something to hear!

But definitely - learn the lyrics. It's easier than counting bars and is a lot more musical to boot.

It's been a while since I played that Tooth arrangement, but as I sing the tune in my head, it's an A A B A form with each section as 16 bars.

The different phrase lengths in Tooth's arrangment are probably just him taking the arranger's perogative. Near the end of a 16 bar phrase, he would often "interrupt" the end of the phrase by starting something new, resulting in what looks like a 14 bar phrase. Or he might extend an 8 bar phrase by stretching something at the end, giving you 9, 10 or 12 bars.

JSngry's suggestion to find a vocal version is a great one. I would heartily suggest finding a the episode of Gomer Pyle USMC where Seargent Carter coaches Gomer's girlfriend Luanne Poovey in how to perform. The vehicle they chose: "That Old Black Magic"

Classic!

Thanks for the help Jim and Glenn -- very much appreciated.

I was able to find both versions Jim mentioned (on EMusic). Also, two more swingin' versions from Ella Fitzgerald and Rosemary Clooney.

Once I have the lyrics in my head, I'll go back and see if this arrangement makes more sense to me... I'm betting it will! :)

-- Mark