Interview: Pete Gershon, editor,Signal to Noise

Eh, I'm not peeved, and I don't want to curttail criticism ... quite the opposite. I'm just curious to know more about people would like to see. If you've checked out STN, concluded it's not for you, and given up on it, I promise, my feelings won't be hurt. But I am interested in improvement and if anyone has any specific suggestions, I am open to that. That's all I'm saying. Does it seem like I'm being defensive? Because that's not the spirit in which these responses are intended. How often do the publishers of other magazines drop by to ask for input? Probably not that frequently.

Maybe this thread has run it's course though? I mean, even I'M getting bored.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(better you than NPR which is in pledge week right now - whoops, don't wanna get you in any trouble there too :rolleyes:

What??? Rest assured that I have reported this counterrevolutionary heresy to the proper authorities, and even as we speak--er, post--apparatchiks are busily stripping away all audio and Internet references to either Organissimo or Comrade Lowe from our vast media empire. To show that we are a benevolent rather than vengeful vanguard, however, we are offering you re-education classes at a 50% discount if you enroll now... and we'll even throw in a free Nina Totenberg coffeemug!!!

As for Comrade Clem, he is an extremely talented and insightful fellow who has a tendency to get a wee bit cutting at times in his zestful commentary. I do not wish to see him fall victim to any purge, self-inflicted or otherwise--perhaps a few counseling sessions with our own resident Achtung! Dr. Freud Calling might be just the ticket for working out those energetic ripostes!! :crazy:

Edited by The Red Menace

i assume, speaking of cutting rooms, you DID cut some of that garbage from Chadbourne? when he's bad, he's just horrible & these days, even when he's good with the keyboard, he's tolerable. (his Rod Poole was lame, sorry Rod.)

Picking on an obit? :ph34r:

organissimo is still $2000 in debt from our last CD. This place is $150 a month. That's $1800 a year that could go to paying off that CD debt so we can make another one. We have 20, maybe 30 regular contributors. This place sometimes seems like a playground for a select few. And I'm always wondering whether it would be better career-wise for me to either give it up, give it to someone else, or at the very least change the name so the association with the band isn't there.

I was about to make my annual contribution and this pushed me along to DO IT NOW!

You know, if everybody gave at least what you could afford ( remember there is no advertising here) Jim could rest a little better at night insted of losing sleep on how to juggle all of his responsibilities. As everyone knows, he put alot of time and effort in.

Clem, my man, I'm sure you're ponying up now as I write.

And Jim A. if you need money to keep the Board going, how about starting a thread about it? I'll gladly contribute!

Allen created a new thread for contributing.

As a side note (which I commented on there as well) you can avoid the $2.50 charge that occurs through the "Donate" link at the top of this page by simply going to Paypal directly, and sending payment to b3groover@hotmail.com.

Dude, don't think I don't appreciate it. In fact, this whisks me back to my Hampshire College days, studying under Michael "Wisconsin Death Trip" Lesy, who thought I was a lame hippy freak and frankly hated my guts. But I hung in there, suffered the abuse, and wound up learning a lot. When he would grudgingly tell me that something I wrote was maybe, kinda, sorta OK, it was like an A double plus good from any other prof I worked with. Oh, must split, baby screaming.

Allen, I'll get back to you on that cover story.

clem, thanks for the sincere post and I apologize if I went off on you. I have a lot of shit on my plate and yes the road is very long and I can only see it getting worse from here before it gets better. I'm not really looking forward to that.

I also apologize for complaining. And thank you to Allen for the telathon (that thread is cracking me up!) I hate asking people here for money. I just hate it.

This thread's giving me a headache on what's turning out to be an already weird day (just recovering from my own personal "gaslight" moment), but as someone who's never seen a copy of STN I thank Pete for the download links - I'll be checking it out shortly.

Missed it, will have to seek it out.

Wasn't Arthur kinda on the skids a bit lately, or is that just my mind?

Bishop ain't boring to say the least (neither is Coley, even if he seems sometimes like he just puked onto the page, it's still interesting to read him at his most half-baked, if I'm reading right into what you're saying).

Hey, I think it was actually Byron Coley who once asked me if I couldn't do some kind of spread of scantily clad female improvisors. I'm not really sure that's the kind of affirmative action anyone here is talking about, though. I have asked, and will ask again, to see if I can't get Coley back into the fold. Again, I think Cotner is pretty funny (and knowledgable) and we used to have a guy named Mike Zimbouski who wrote some shit that was fun to read, but I haven't heard from him in years. Maybe it had something to do with the time we went out for drinks with Peter Brotzmann's band after a gig in Burlington, then went back to the office to smoke a joint, and the doorknob fell out of the door, locking us inside and forcing us to crawl out through the window, I don't know. You know, a piece on say, Joe McPhee is not really going to be a laugh riot (Joe is a funny guy with a great sense of humor but he is basically a pretty serious dude when he's talking about his music). But I take your point and we'll see what we can do about that. Hey, if anyone had offered me a Bishop article I totally would have taken him up on it.

BTW Arthur is back from the dead, Jay Babock having been bailed out by a new financial backer ... you can find a PDF of the new issue, with Lavendar Diamond on the cover, at their site, arthurmag.com. Arthur is probably more of a "fun" read, though certainly aimed more at the Animal Collective crowd than the STN crowd, and some of the "how to knit a cool sweater" features and the Daniel Pinchbeck stuff are not necessarily where I want to be going with my own magazine. But yes, I certainly do admire what Jay is doing.

Thanks, some of this is starting to get constructive. But if it's boring for the rest of you, you can totally tune out.

excuse me, Jim?

Excuse me, "clem". You want to talk about losing money? I lose money on this site every goddamn month (me, trying to support an ill wife, a child, another on the way, and make records, all on an income that you New Yorkers would categorize as "dogshit", with ever decreasing gigs coming in). All so you can hide behind an alias and use the board as your personal blog to lash out at everything that your finely tuned tastes find beneath you. Have you ever contributed a red cent to this board? No. But you sure as hell use it as our own personal vendetta outlet, slinging insults like a belligerent drunk and acting like it's not personal.

If this place disappears tomorrow, don't be surprised. I'm getting fed up.

Jim, please understand the downturn is "industry" wide. I have sold less than half of last year at this time and hear similar info from folks further up the food chain. It ain't a Michigan thing. The gigs might be, but not the sales. The blogs have come home to roost. If you can download a gazillion sessions, when do you have time to absorb music you have to pay for?

It ain't a Michigan thing. The gigs might be, but not the sales.

It's a Texas thing too - gigs are getting sparser, smaller, and cheaper. In the past 3 years or so, I've gone from having my "straight job" being a "safety net" in terms of income to it being by far and away my main source of income. That hurts - and deeply - in a lot of ways, but bottom line for me is that I got skills besides music and I got responsibilities to honor besides "pure art". Life's a bitch sometimes, but consider the alternative...

Also going on here as well - CD stores are down to the chains. There might be a handfull of indie shops in the entire DFW area now. as opposed to 5-10 years ago, when every city had 3-4 or more such outlets. I don't even bother any more. Online shopping is now more fun, an more rewarding, than running after nothing.

Guest Bill Barton

...we used to have a guy named Mike Zimbouski who wrote some shit that was fun to read, but I haven't heard from him in years. Maybe it had something to do with the time we went out for drinks with Peter Brotzmann's band after a gig in Burlington, then went back to the office to smoke a joint, and the doorknob fell out of the door, locking us inside and forcing us to crawl out through the window, I don't know...

It would be great if he'd resurface. The guy was hilarious, plus he had good taste. Speaking of hilarious, that's a pretty cool story, Pete, I'm getting the mental images as I type. Didn't you tell me once the cat had purple hair? The mental images definitely include that part.:rofl: