Mosaic sale, ending October 14

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What else are you considering?

Gerald Wilson, Buddy Rich, Lou Donaldson and Dizzy Gillespie are on the list (as are, perhaps, the Count Basie, Duke and Eldridge).

I have the Gerald Wilson & the Duke. The Wilson was possibly the most surprisingly delightful Mosaic purchase (despite what any complaints about the last disc of '60s rock songs, which I don't really mind.) The players are outstanding, love the arrangements and though I don't have audiophile equipment, it also sounds outstanding.

The Duke is essential. I already had a good portion on the old Columbia releases, and feel no need to gush over it. Yes there are many alternates, but one can always program/reburn/skip/put it on a harddrive around that if need be.

My ever changing wish list also has the Gillespie, Eldridge and Basie bouncing around at different positions (fighting it out with the Jazztet and other sets) and I haven't ruled out the others you're considering. Having read many of the Mosaic threads I think the Diz & Basie are getting high marks, and while a couple of folks have expressed stylistic problems with Eldridge most praise the set (namely JSangry.)

I think in the end you can do no wrong, so go with what interests you the most right now. If you play the "order before it goes out of print" game, the Hodges has been around a long time, but I profess no expertise in predicting these things.

Any thoughts on the Hodges set? Too many great sets to choose from!

I'm glad I have it. The sound is excellent. It's the type of thing where I'll pull one disc out, but it's unlikely that I'll play 2 in a row. And I'm probably still more likely to play Ellington if I want to hear Hodges. Despite these caveats it's a wonderful set.

I'd forgoten about the Hodges ! Love the earlier vinyl set and as this one must be coming up towards expiry time (?) I suspect I'll order it this time round.

The Wilson was possibly the most surprisingly delightful Mosaic purchase (despite what any complaints about the last disc of '60s rock songs, which I don't really mind.)

There are only 3 rock songs on that disc, and 3 soul songs. And two of the rock numbers are probably better known from soul-style versions anyway.

MG

Gerald Wilson, Buddy Rich, Lou Donaldson and Dizzy Gillespie are on the list (as are, perhaps, the Count Basie, Duke and Eldridge).

I have the Gerald Wilson & the Duke. The Wilson was possibly the most surprisingly delightful Mosaic purchase (despite what any complaints about the last disc of '60s rock songs, which I don't really mind.) The players are outstanding, love the arrangements and though I don't have audiophile equipment, it also sounds outstanding.

The Duke is essential. I already had a good portion on the old Columbia releases, and feel no need to gush over it. Yes there are many alternates, but one can always program/reburn/skip/put it on a harddrive around that if need be.

My ever changing wish list also has the Gillespie, Eldridge and Basie bouncing around at different positions (fighting it out with the Jazztet and other sets) and I haven't ruled out the others you're considering. Having read many of the Mosaic threads I think the Diz & Basie are getting high marks, and while a couple of folks have expressed stylistic problems with Eldridge most praise the set (namely JSangry.)

I think in the end you can do no wrong, so go with what interests you the most right now. If you play the "order before it goes out of print" game, the Hodges has been around a long time, but I profess no expertise in predicting these things.

I agree. You generally can't go wrong with any of them. My problem is that I usually can't rule anything out -- even when I think I have, I always start thinking about it again (the Joe Pass has been on and off my list several times). I also don't have a huge (based upon what it seems many on this board seem to have) individual CD collection, so often I have very little if anything on many of the box sets and I am tempted to get it all at once. I do tend to have a stronger leaning toward bop/hard bop and more contemporary big band (contemporary in this case meaning generally post swing-era), but I like everything. I guess if I go with the "buy the older sets first" model, the Wilson and Hodges would be next up. As we've seen though, the oldest set don't necessarily always go first.

FWIW, I have the Jazztet set and, as you no doubt have heard countless times from others, it's excellent.

Of course, if anyone out there still doesn't have the Mobley, this is probably going to time out next year (I think this was the consensus), so go grab that.

I haven't decided if I will order anything, though I might. Earlier this year I got the Gillespie and the Nelson (and the Onzy Matthews Select), but I am strongly considering the Wilson.

The Wilson was possibly the most surprisingly delightful Mosaic purchase (despite what any complaints about the last disc of '60s rock songs, which I don't really mind.)

There are only 3 rock songs on that disc, and 3 soul songs. And two of the rock numbers are probably better known from soul-style versions anyway.

MG

Thanks for counting them. :) I just put the last disc on now as a matter of fact, and from all of the complaints about it I'm always surprised that the disc is not the replaying of "Hair" in its entirety followed by Monkees songs.

I agree. You generally can't go wrong with any of them. My problem is that I usually can't rule anything out -- even when I think I have, I always start thinking about it again (the Joe Pass has been on and off my list several times).

:lol: Isn't that the truth! It's never safe to completely write off any of them.

I guess if I go with the "buy the older sets first" model, the Wilson and Hodges would be next up. As we've seen though, the oldest set don't necessarily always go first.

Yep, I don't feel knowledgeable (or lucky) enough to guess which would go next. As long as finances are not so severely crimped that you couldn't act if something goes "Last Chance", or have the mindset that it's okay not to have it all, then I'd really recommend doing as I do and go with what interests you most right now (I know, you still have to narrow it down!)

FWIW, I have the Jazztet set and, as you no doubt have heard countless times from others, it's excellent.

I thought for sure I'd have it by now, but I've been happily side-tracked by an interest in the older music sets. Bix/Tram/Tea, Venuti/Lang, H.R.S., & the Capitol. Somehow Turrentine & the Stitt slipped ahead of the Jazztet too, as did the Teagarden Roulette. Funny how these things happen. One of these days! (In fact maybe before Sunday, though having ordered 2 sets last month I'm trying to be strong.)

Not sure what (if anything) I'll go for, but I'll put in a plug for the HRS set. It's a must for anyone who has a taste for individualistic soloists: Bechet, Pee Wee Russell, James P., Rex Stewart, Ben Webster, Buck Clayton, Johnny Hodges, Harry Carney, Jack Teagarden, to name just a few of those included in the HRS box. It's one of the most overlooked Mosaics and one of my favorites.

Yep, I don't feel knowledgeable (or lucky) enough to guess which would go next. As long as finances are not so severely crimped that you couldn't act if something goes "Last Chance", or have the mindset that it's okay not to have it all, then I'd really recommend doing as I do and go with what interests you most right now (I know, you still have to narrow it down!)

Yeah, that's generally what I've been doing and it works out pretty well. I've still got a few days to decide :rolleyes:

Somehow Turrentine & the Stitt slipped ahead of the Jazztet too,

Ah, the Turrentine -- forgot about that one. How do you like it? (See, the list is just getting longer! :wacko: )

and this would be as good a time as any to finally pick up the Hank box.

You mean to say that you don't yet have a Hank box? :o

Don't hesitate !

Of course, you're right. :cool:

I'm wavering on Dinah now. I read some old posts and it sounds like there may be other sessions that are better to get for someone like me who has none. Maybe I'll get the Hutch Select instead.

Update: I may have to go with Onzy. I remembered the recommendations I heard and am just now re-listening to the tunes posted on the site. Smokin' - like Gerald.

Edited by BFrank

Ah, the Turrentine -- forgot about that one. How do you like it? (See, the list is just getting longer! :wacko: )

It's as much fun as you'd expect, and each session has its own flavor thanks in part to the different piano/keyboard players - Parlan, Clark, Scott, Hancock, Tyner, and Walton. A few years ago I thought I might let it pass and hope it would all be RVG'd eventually. Some of the talk about the 1st disc brightness scared me too. But I couldn't wait & no regrets. While the sonics aren't as good as the Malcolm (warning - I belong to the cult) Addey sets mentioned (Wilson & Hodges) I certainly wouldn't dissuade someone from buying it. (I budget for Mosaics but not Japanese discs for what's it worth. I seem to recall those who do the latter prefer the Japanese pressings > Mosaic, but I may be misremembering.) And given some of the news about EMI there are no guarantees that the material will get RVG'd in the future either.

I forgot to mention a hazard of buying the Gerald Wilson set. It will likely spur further interest in many of those Pacific Jazz players, such as Harold Land, Teddy Edwards, Curtis Amy, Carmell Jones and so on. Some are served by the Selects.

I forgot I also have Peggy Lee/June Christy set hovering on my list. It's kinda cheap for a Mosaic too. And the talk of West Coast arrangers has me thinking of the Onzy Matthews, which I intended to pick up last month...This sale thread could get expensive.

Mosaic needs to regenerate its catalog. All the offerings now seem much too bourgeois for my tastes. Whither the avant-garde? Protest? Revolution? All the remaining options seem like they were churned out by the same mill.

Sorry to throw cold water on your suggestion, but if Mosaic's current offerings are selling slowly, I can't imagine that the ones you suggest will exactly fly off the shelves. I can understand Mosaic's caution.

Mosaic needs to regenerate its catalog. All the offerings now seem much too bourgeois for my tastes. Whither the avant-garde? Protest? Revolution? All the remaining options seem like they were churned out by the same mill.

Sorry to throw cold water on your suggestion, but if Mosaic's current offerings are selling slowly, I can't imagine that the ones you suggest will exactly fly off the shelves. I can understand Mosaic's caution.

I agree. I don't think the avant-garde etc. will sell any better than the "bourgeois" stuff, on the contrary.

Wondering if anyone might know of licensing issues re: "The Jazztet" box?

I know that it was available for a time in Europe and sold cheaply (un-numbered sets?). At 10,000 I'm thinking this will be around a loooong time if those Euro numbers did not make a dent. But then again might it run up against the same fate of the VeeJays and be pulled prior to the cap?

I'm hoping a 20% er by Christmas for at least the sets that are in heavy stock.

I agree. I don't think the avant-garde etc. will sell any better than the "bourgeois" stuff, on the contrary.

Precisely. Out of the frying pan and into the fire music. Not a recipe for commercial resurgence.