Mosaic sale, ending October 14

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They'll be even busier. :)

Just put in my order for the Hodges, Oliver Nelson and the Columbia Small Groups. :w

Can't believe that after all this time the Hodges hasn't yet sold out !

Neither can I. The Hodges set was released in the fall of 2000; the Mobley set was released during the summer of 1998. I do not think that either set will be around for that much longer, but we shall see.

I placed an order for the Ellington, Johnny Smith, and Columbia Small Groups sets as well as the Cohn/Newman/Green and Onzy Matthews Selects. (It is only prudent to take full advantage of the shipping fee schedule and order in bulk, right? ;) )

At any rate, I should be set for some time now unless I change my mind about the Prima/Manone set. Insofar as they are negative indications as to the future financial viability of Mosaic (I really don't think that regular sales are part of its business model), I hope that Mosaic does NOT have any sales in the foreseeable future. In the eleven years that I have been purchasing sets from Mosaic, I recall only seven or so sales before the trio of sales that we have seen over the past 2.5 months.

I'm trying to be strong.)

Resistance is futile... :D

With just a few hours to go I put the Christy/Lee in the cart. Then I thought I clicked Onzy Matthews, but instead I saw Liebman in the cart (they're alphabetical neighbors on the Select page.) Removed that, but rather than go back to the Onzy I saw the price of the Jazztet set... :excited:

4 big boxes in 2 months! I will return someday to get the Onzy.

I don't know what happened. One minute I was looking at the Mosaic website, and the next thing I knew I had the Hodges, Wilson and Turrentine sets in my shopping cart! :rolleyes: Well I couldn't just let them sit there -- so now they are on their way to me. :ph34r: I really hadn't planned on purchasing any this year ... Hope they're all as great as I expect.

4 big boxes in 2 months! I will return someday to get the Onzy.

No worries. The deal on the big boxes is better than the Selects, anyway. The $5 difference for those won't break the bank, I'm sure.

Yup, "no worries" other than wanting to hear it. :) Actually as the upcoming Lionel Hampton is a smaller box (just 5 discs) I intend to add it as a cherry on top when the time comes.

It is funny how the 4 & 5 disc Mosaics seem downright cozy after one has ordered a 7 disc or larger set.

Edited by Quincy

I don't know what happened. One minute I was looking at the Mosaic website, and the next thing I knew I had the Hodges, Wilson and Turrentine sets in my shopping cart! :rolleyes: Well I couldn't just let them sit there -- so now they are on their way to me. :ph34r: I really hadn't planned on purchasing any this year ... Hope they're all as great as I expect.

That's the way to handle difficult decisions! :tup With winter coming it's good to stock the cupboard with great music. Seriously, you'll be enjoying these sets for the rest of your life. (Unless you abandon jazz for punk or something, but if you do the resale value of the Mosaics will fund this new endeavor. :lol: )

Heh. Meant to order the Ellington during the sale, but got busy this weekend and forgot. Probably just as well; it can wait a while.

It's still going on.

After much hemming and hawing over the Turrentine, Mobley, Jazztet and Stitt sets, I opted for the Miles Columbia '65-'68 quintet vinyl box instead. :rolleyes: Maybe it was the $21 discount that prompted me to pull the trigger on that.

Edited by trane_fanatic

I got the Onzy and the Cohn/Newman/Green selects. Love the latter, but I have to confess that the Onzy mostly leaves me cold, and I love big band stuff from that period. Individual tastes I guess.

Looking forward to the Hampton, the Quincy Jones (hey, I liked that band!), and especially, the Herman Phillips!!

... , but I have to confess that the Onzy mostly leaves me cold, and I love big band stuff from that period. Individual tastes I guess.

Only listened to the first disk so far. It's definitely a mixed bag. Some of it has that great Gerald Wilson feel, while other tunes are a little cheesy sounding. Needless to say, the tunes are pulled from a wide variety of sessions.

From glancing at the liners, I expect that disk #2 has the "key" music.

The Oliver Nelson box is still at €129,44 at Amazon.fr :(

It's €79,99 (about $114) at JPC.

It seems Amazon U.K. are the winners with £33.97 or about €48,80 / $69.60

JPC have the Gillespie for Euro 79.99, which is a bit cheaper for us Brits than Amazon's current price.

Hope this one moves down to the £33 Amazonian price point soon !

Edited by sidewinder