Mosaic sale, ending October 14

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may get that Sonny Stitt box finally...

:tup

I think you would like it !

Great set!

My problem with this set is that I already have the vast majority of the material. It took me several years to purchase the original Roost albums.

Still pondering if I can afford getting the box even at a special price just to get several additional tracks!

I also have the same problem with the Chu Berry box!

Wish my wallet was thicker :rolleyes:

"Jazztet" vs 1/2 cord of wood ??

Gotta go with the Jazztet, the enjoyment will last much longer! ^_^

But will it keep you from freezing in the winter?

(Of course, a Jimmy McGriff boxed set would, but there ain't no such thing.)

MG

Well, that warm fuzzy feeling from the inside should do the trick. The Jazztet is definitely one of their best sets.

I'm VERY pleased with the Onzy Mattnews Select I got in the cut price shipping sale a few weeks ago.

I had a LONG look just now at the Farmer/Golson box but decided that even at $105 + postage, I had better give it a miss for a while.

MG

Why not have an even LONGER look and reverse your decision :) - that is one of the best ever Mosaic sets in my opinion.

Great box indeed.

I skipped the free shipping sale, but I'm sorely tempted to pull the trigger for Farmer/Golson this time.

Lets see, a few weeks ago I had a little extra cash, and I thought I better spend it before I end up needing it for something practical. I hadn't purchase a Mosaic in a year, so I surfed the website. I surfed it agan the next day when the "free shipping" message appeared. I went for the Basie set, because it was the highest priced item on my "want" list. I ended up spending more than 300.00, but thats okay, I've been enjoying the music non stop. (except for the brief moment when I was out running with my iPod and Gerald Wilson's version of the Door's "Light my Fire" appeared in the shuffle mix, and I nearly hurled my iPod to the ground and stomped on it, but I surpressed the urge and changed the selection, now it's all good.) I am surprised Mosaic is having a sale, the must have had a pretty good infusion of cash, just from the members of this board just from the free shipping. Maybe they recognize a trend, lower prices= more sales...

(except for the brief moment when I was out running with my iPod and Gerald Wilson's version of the Door's "Light my Fire" appeared in the shuffle mix, and I nearly hurled my iPod to the ground and stomped on it, but I surpressed the urge and changed the selection, now it's all good.)

I'm not sure why, but for some reason I like even the pop tunes on the GW Mosaic. Maybe just because I grew up with a lot of that music, but also there's a sense of spirit in the GW band that even the commercial material can't ruin.

IMHO. :)

(except for the brief moment when I was out running with my iPod and Gerald Wilson's version of the Door's "Light my Fire" appeared in the shuffle mix, and I nearly hurled my iPod to the ground and stomped on it, but I surpressed the urge and changed the selection, now it's all good.)

I'm not sure why, but for some reason I like even the pop tunes on the GW Mosaic. Maybe just because I grew up with a lot of that music, but also there's a sense of spirit in the GW band that even the commercial material can't ruin.

IMHO. :)

The musicianship and arrangements are top notch, I like 99.9% (or theirabouts) of the set, I think it was my first listen and it sneaked up on me in the shuffle play mode. I was hearing piccolos and a harpsichord, and my brain was trying to figure out the tune. I thought it sounded kind of Muzaky, like ane orchestral attempt to rock out, but upon subsequent listenings it on a good sound system, I got a better appreciation for it. You are right, their is a highly professional sense in the band, they know how to approach everything. (as for commercial material, I've always liked Woody Herman's version of Deep Purple's "Hush.")

Just ordered the Parlan and Turrentine sets. :) I wasn't going to order any more Mosaics for a while unless they were "running low", but you gotta support a sale. :rolleyes: And these two have been at the top of my Mosaic wish list for some time.

Now, only 22 left on the list. :w

I'm VERY pleased with the Onzy Mattnews Select I got in the cut price shipping sale a few weeks ago.

I had a LONG look just now at the Farmer/Golson box but decided that even at $105 + postage, I had better give it a miss for a while.

MG

Why not have an even LONGER look and reverse your decision :) - that is one of the best ever Mosaic sets in my opinion.

Great box indeed.

I skipped the free shipping sale, but I'm sorely tempted to pull the trigger for Farmer/Golson this time.

I've decided I'm going to wait for the Hampton box when it comes out later this year. It won't be in a sale but I WANT THAT BOX!!!!!!!! See?

MG

(as for commercial material, I've always liked Woody Herman's version of Deep Purple's "Hush.")

Now Woody's band had many flirtations w/pop tunes, some successful and some...well, NOT so successful. This could be a whole thread on its own..... :huh:

What do you know about Woody's band?

:P

I am surprised Mosaic is having a sale, the must have had a pretty good infusion of cash, just from the members of this board just from the free shipping. Maybe they recognize a trend, lower prices= more sales...

The only time I buy Mosaics now is when they have some kind of sale, however modest. It's good for us, and probably short-term for Mosaic, but I wonder if having sales so often is in Mosaic's long-term interest. In other words, to be very busy when they have sales and slow the rest of the time.

P.S. One set I will buy immediately upon release, sale or no sale, is the Woody Herman Philips set.

Edited by John Tapscott

Any thoughts on the Hodges set? Too many great sets to choose from!

I'm glad I have it. The sound is excellent. It's the type of thing where I'll pull one disc out, but it's unlikely that I'll play 2 in a row. And I'm probably still more likely to play Ellington if I want to hear Hodges. Despite these caveats it's a wonderful set.

What else are you considering?

I wasn't planning on picking up anything right now, especially with "Complete On the Corner Sessions" shipping in the near future (maybe ...).

OTOH, that Dinah Washington is might tempting and this would be as good a time as any to finally pick up the Hank box.