Muhal Richard Abrams Radio Special: 10-14-07, 7-10pm

Lazaro Vega

Jazz From Blue Lake

Sunday, October 14, 2007

A very special program featuring the words and music of Muhal Richard Abrams.

Artist—Song Title – Album Title – Record Label

7 p.m. Eastern Time

Duke Ellington, Main Stem; The Centennial Edition: RCA.

Lionel Hampton, I’m In the Mood For Swing; Hot Mallets: Bluebird.

Benny Carter Orchestra, Symphony in Riffs; Ridin’ In Rhythm: Swing.

Art Tatum, Tea For Two; I Got Rhythm: Decca.

Muhal Richard Abrams interview with Blue Lake.

Muhal Richard Abrams, (Excerpt); Vision Towards Essence: PI Records

8 p.m.

Muhal Richard Abrams, Tribute to Don Pullen and Julius Hemphill; One Line, Two Views: New World.

Muhal Richards Abrams interview segment.

Muhal Richard Abrams Orchestra, One For the Whistler; Blu Blu Blu: Black Saint.

Muhal Richard Abrams interview segment.

UMO Jazz Orchestra, Ritob; Plays the Music of Muhal Richard Abrams: Slam.

Marty Ehrlich Dark Woods Ensemble, Charlie in the Parker; Emergency Peace: New World.

Muhal Richard Abrams Orchestra, Bloodline; Rejoicing with the Light: Black Saint.

Jason Moran, Time Into Space Into Time; Modernistic: Blue Note.

Muhal Richard Abrams, Blues For M; AfriSong: India Navigation.

9 p.m.

Muhal Richard Abrams Orchestra, Hearinga; The Hearinga Suite: Black Saint.

Roscoe Mitchell, Tahquemenon; Nonaah: Nessa.

Abrams/Lewis/Mitchell, Scrape; Streaming: PI Recordings.

Muhal Richard Abrams Orchestra, Blu Blu Blu; Blu Blu Blu: Black Saint.

Abrams/Lewis/Mitchell, Sound Hear; Streaming: PI Recordings.

This program will stream live on the Internet from 7 to 10 p.m. Sunday, October 14, 2007 via www.bluelake.org/radio.html.

Lazaro Vega

Blue Lake Public Radio

300 East Crystal Lake Road

Twin Lake MI 49457

WBLV FM 90.3 / WBLU FM 88.9

www.bluelake.org

Edited by Lazaro Vega

No, not archived. Our schedule is up at the web site, but you have to catch them live. I know, I know. We don't have the man power for that. I'm full up broadcasting 31 hours of jazz per week. Tonight, the music of Thelonious Monk. So you're gigging Sunday night?

In the UK, but am doing some workshops/rehearsals before the gig. Yeah...gigs on a Sunday! Whatever next...;) Brilliant schedule though - I have to make a point of listening online more (made a similar resolution listening to something on Frace-Musiques the other day!)!

Blue Lake only offers those two streaming options at this point, one which opens a Windows Media Player and another that allows for an MP3 stream (usually better with MACs). When you click on them the devices open up. I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the system you're working with and would bet that the NCATS people are not available to answer these questions on a Sunday. Lazaro

Guest Bill Barton

Well Bill, I know we're up against "Desperate Housewives" but I forgive you, :excited::ph34r:

:rofl:

I'm not quite that desperate for entertainment yet. Holed up with the computer and the CD player cranking out reviews as the deadline approacheth... Then off to KBCS for my show.

Edited by Bill Barton

Lazaro - Thanks so much for this program. I don't know whether it was the interview or your choice of Muhal Richard Abrams' music, but I've never before felt the connection with his music that I've felt tonight.

First listen tonight to your show. I'll try to catch it more often - unfortunately, I'm usually asleep weekdays when you're on the air.

aloc, Ghost, Paul: thanks for tuning in. As Chuck said after the interview, "You survived." Felt the program needed to be this length to do him justice, and tried to let the musical selections be dictated by the content of the conversation (i.e. Jason Moran following Muhal's talking about young individualists; or 'Blu Blu Blu' following on the W.C. Handy comment, or "Bloodline" for Redman, Henderson and Carter after the segment about meeting Benny Carter. Follow the artist.....

The piece from Nonaah is, according to Terry Martin's liner notes, based on limiting the range each instrument could play in.

This program will air again Wednesday from midnight to 3 a.m. Thursday morning.

And then, EdgeFest this Saturday. Looking forward to hearing Muhal live again.

aloc, Ghost, Paul: thanks for tuning in. As Chuck said after the interview, "You survived." Felt the program needed to be this length to do him justice, and tried to let the musical selections be dictated by the content of the conversation (i.e. Jason Moran following Muhal's talking about young individualists; or 'Blu Blu Blu' following on the W.C. Handy comment, or "Bloodline" for Redman, Henderson and Carter after the segment about meeting Benny Carter. Follow the artist.....

You did indeed survive. I was taking notes on your technique... ;) And the whole program flowed very well.

MRA seemed quite pleased with the Handy link/insight you provided.

That comment about W.C. Handy consolidating the blues into form so groups could play it came from a conversation by Chuck Nessa when he was explaining Ornette Coleman's way of phrasing. In a sense Ornette related to the blues before Handy, i.e. having form follow the emotional message of the tune; emotion driving the duration of melodies.

In honor of Muhal Richard Abrams appearance with Roscoe Mitchell and George Lewis this Saturday at EdgeFest in Ann Arbor Blue Lake Public Radio will re-broadcast the three hour interview/music program which aired last Sunday. Please join Muhal Richard Abrams tonight, 10-17-07, at 12 a.m. until tomorrow, 10-18-07, at 3 a.m. over WBLV/WBLU FM and on line via www.bluelake.org/radio.html. (Those times in Chicago are 11 p.m. tonight to 2 a.m. tomorrow). The program’s original broadcast attracted more web-stream listeners than any other program broadcast all day Sunday. Thanks to Organissimo for that fact.