Drug References on the Lawrence Welk Show

re: "one toke over the line"

Wonder what other reference that phrase could have, other than drugs? It must have one because it's doubtful that Welk would've allowed a drug reference on his show.

Someone on staff must have lied to him and slipped it past him for the fun of it. :lol:

re: "one toke over the line"

Wonder what other reference that phrase could have, other than drugs? It must have one because it's doubtful that Welk would've allowed a drug reference on his show.

Someone on staff must have lied to him and slipped it past him for the fun of it. :lol:

I'd be willing to bet that when Mr. Welk found out what it really meant after he had aired it, that's what killed him! :rofl:;)

One of the REALLY strange things about America is how popular Lawrence Welk was. Seeing that clip brought it home to me all over again.

You're a very strange people, y'know.

MG

plus public tv ran welk reruns in prime time saturday nights for 25 or 30 years, and may still be.

that means he brought in big bucks.

he had some fine musicians. i remember trumpeter george thow, pete fountain, violinist dick kessner and several others.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

One of the REALLY strange things about America is how popular Lawrence Welk was. Seeing that clip brought it home to me all over again.

MG

plus public tv ran welk reruns in prime time saturday nights for 25 or 30 years, and may still be.

he had some fine musicians. i remember trumpeter george thow, pete fountain, violinist dick kessner and several others.

it must have been a bit hard on musicians to trade the conservative music for a fat steady paycheck that lasted for decades.

MG

it must have been a bit hard on musicians to trade the conservative music for a fat steady paycheck that lasted for decades.

he fired one of his stars, champagne lady alice lon, for showing a little too much knee on his saturday night abc dodge show.

"alice is a lovely girl," welk said, "but she just wants to be too sexy."