Bernard Herrmann

Teasing the Korean

What are some of your favorite BH soundtracks or individual tracks/cues?

My favorite album will always be "The Fantasy World or Bernard Herrmann" on London/Decca Phase 4, which has suites from "Journey to the Center of the Earth," "Seventh Voyage of Sinbad," "Day the Earth Stood Still" and "Fahrenheit 451."

I think he was the first composer who brought a more modern, subdued, psychological approach to film scoring.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he was the first composer who brought a more modern, subdued, psychological approach to film scoring.

Sergei Prokofiev's score for Eisenstein's epic 'Alexander Nevsky' predates Herrman and falls somehow in that category.

Never saw the film 'Lieutenant Kije' and understand it's not very good but the score Prokofiev wrote for the film should also rank there.

years ago when I was doing a lot of transfer work someone sent me cassettes that clearly contained reels of out-takes from Herrmann movie music - orchestral works, fascinating bits and pieces, probably bootlegged from some movie studio - stupidly I did NOT make copies for myself - does anybody have any idea if this stuff has ever come out elsewhere?

maybe it was the outtakes of "anna and the king of siam (avaiable on varese sarabande) or some outtakes of "on dangerous ground" (you can hear some sound-samples here):

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=3700

track 21 (on the right side has one minute of outtakes)

keep boppin´

marcel

hangover-square.jpg

Just watched this for the first time and was surprised to see that it was a Herrmann score. And it's a GREAT score at that! The script is about a composer so the music is essential to the vibe...plus it's also "discordant notes" that makes the guy go psycho and kill people which is also handled beautifully.

Just watched this for the first time and was surprised to see that it was a Herrmann score. And it's a GREAT score at that! The script is about a composer so the music is essential to the vibe...plus it's also "discordant notes" that makes the guy go psycho and kill people which is also handled beautifully.

The piano concerto is available on the wonderful Charles Gerhardt RCA Herrmann collection, which also includes suites from "Citizen Kane," "Beneath the 12-Mile Reef" and "White Witch Doctor." This album is flawless, and an essential part of any Herrmann collection!

hangover-square.jpg

I just ordered that a couple of days ago. As a big Herrmann fan (not to mention a big Laird Cregar, Linda Darnell, and George Sanders fan) I've been waiting for this release a long time!

I forgot to add that I rented a DVD of the TV series Have Gun, Will Travel last weekend. I had forgotten, if I ever knew, that the striking opening theme was by Herrmann.

Great show, BTW.

Isn't Richard Boone the protaganist in that? He made such an interesting bad guy in The Tall T.

I forgot to add that I rented a DVD of the TV series Have Gun, Will Travel last weekend. I had forgotten, if I ever knew, that the striking opening theme was by Herrmann.

Great show, BTW.

Isn't Richard Boone the protaganist in that? He made such an interesting bad guy in The Tall T.

Yes, indeed!

I adore the soundtrack to North By Northwest. I really should buy that someday.

Me too. Surprised it took 3 pages of posts to mention this one by name. Perhaps my favorite film as well. Signature Hitchcock sound!

hangover-square.jpg

I just ordered that a couple of days ago. As a big Herrmann fan (not to mention a big Laird Cregar, Linda Darnell, and George Sanders fan) I've been waiting for this release a long time!

I just watched this, and the score is indeed excellent and pretty much carries the film, which is full of plot holes. The 11 minute piano concerto that ends the film is fantastic. Cregar and Darnell (Arhh-OOOOH!) are excellent, Sanders kind of walks through it.

I adore the soundtrack to North By Northwest. I really should buy that someday.

Me too. Surprised it took 3 pages of posts to mention this one by name. Perhaps my favorite film as well. Signature Hitchcock sound!

Come to think of it, NBN is my favorite late Hitchcock film, favorite late Cary Grant film, and may be my favorite late Herrmann score. Not a bad little flick.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...