Bernard Herrmann

Teasing the Korean

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love Bernard Herrmann. Tomorrow night in Portland there's going to be a screening of Psycho with live orchestral accompaniment, but I'm balking. Ticket prices go all the way up to around $80, and if I'm going to go I'd want to be seated where I'd have a good view of the screen.

I saw Herrmann speak at the BFI in London. Someone from the audience asked how he could have co-operated with RKO when the hacked up The Magnificent Ambersons. His answer was one of the saddest things I've ever heard, given his and Orson Welles' subsequent history. He said " We thought it was just a movie. We thought we were going to make lots of them."

• 7 months later...

June 29, 2011 marks the 100 year anniversary of Herrmann's birth.

That night, from 10 pm to midnight EST, TTK will guest-host 88.5 WMNF's Step Outside and present an all-Herrmann show. If you can't listen in real time, the show is archived on the station's Website for one magical week, before disappearing forever into the ether...

www.wmnf.org

• 3 years later...

That's been a long time comin'.

I'm definitely gonna pick it up. I saw it in the theaters when it came out- the film sounded like a BH concert.

I'm surprised no one mentioned his 'serious' music-

"Symphony"- my fave rave

"Moby Dick" a cantata

The Fantasticks"- a song cycle with orchestra

"Echoes"for String Quartet

"Wuthering Heights" His Opera

Benny and David Raksin (both Russian Jews, who didn't get along too well- I don;t think anyone got along well with BH!) were my fave film composers.

• 7 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
6 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Ronnie Lang posted the following on the Bernard Herrmann FB page: 

I played the Sax solos in"Taxi Driver" for Herrmann. He was upset that he could not use a recording of sax from England. He seemed to be O K with my playing. Sadly, he died before movie was released.

BH was not a jazz guy. I think he needed help with writing the jazz parts in that and other films that required real jazz.

I think it was that young British guy that wrote an excellent book on film music, who helped him with Taxi Driver.