top 100 brewers in the world 2007

A respectable list in my eyes. Michigan is putting out some of the best beer anywhere and I'm glad they are well represented this list. I'll take Bells over Three Floyds any day!

The ranking order is a bit odd, though. I'm having difficulty rationalizing how Goose Island is ranked higher than Samuel Smith.

A respectable list in my eyes. Michigan is putting out some of the best beer anywhere and I'm glad they are well represented this list. I'll take Bells over Three Floyds any day!

The ranking order is a bit odd, though. I'm having difficulty rationalizing how Goose Island is ranked higher than Samuel Smith.

some of smith's stuff isnt too swift, like that organic junk, but their top 7 or 8 are awesome. oatmeal and imperial stouts and taddy are really nice.

so far, i am not a fan of the goose island brews.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

The list is far, FAR too U.S.-centric to be credible. Who were the judges?

74 out of 100 of the world's best beers come from the U.S.? I seriously don't think so.

I'm sorry, but there are probably 200 different German beers that are better than 90% of the American beers on this list.

Edited by Aggie87

74 out of 100 of the world's best beers come from the U.S.? I seriously don't think so.

I'm sorry, but there are probably 200 different German beers that are better than 90% of the American beers on this list.

I am not an expert about beer, but it looks like you're right.

BTW there are too many breweries in the world to taste all their products.

the answer is on the site:

January 22, 2007

(Santa Rosa, CA) Over one million times, RateBeer.com beer reviewers worldwide have raised a glass to review a new beer. We've tallied their scores and the exciting results are now in.

As it has been for the last 6 years, RateBeer Best was again the largest beer competition in the world -- over 1 million reviews of 59,000 beers from over 7300 brewers worldwide were tallied. A particular emphasis was placed on tastings from the last nine months. Additionally, brewpubs, bottle shops, restaurants and bars around the world were awarded prizes. Cheers to all the winners and to everyone who keeps the magical world of craft beer growing!

* EXPERIENCED REVIEWERS

Strongly supported by solid tasting experience: Even though the competition judging is fairly open to all consumers, the vast majority of ratings, 88%, were submitted by persons with over 100 tastings reported.

* WORLDWIDE

Limited American bias: Of the top 20 master raters, each with over 3400 ratings, only 25% are American.

* INDEPENDENT

RateBeer Best is a beer competition unique in its independence -- it is not supported by big brewers and distributors

* REAL SAMPLES

Unlike other beer contests, the emphasis was placed on tasting commercial samples -- not special batches prepared for festivals.

I think your right !

Since when were Sam Smiths and Fullers (London Pride?) the best English beers? :wacko:

I don't believer there are any actual judges. It is entirely based on rating by consumers if I undestand this correctly.

Plus, it pretty much focuses on micro breweries/craft beers only.

About Us

ateBeer is widely recognized as the most accurate and *most-visited source for beer information. RateBeer is an independent world site for craft beer enthusiasts and is dedicated to serving the entire craft beer community through beer education, promotion and outreach.

RateBeer was founded in May 2000 by Bill Buchanan as a forum for beer lovers to come together and share their opinions of beer and breweries. Established and maintained by dedicated volunteers, RateBeer has become the premier resource for consumer-driven beer ratings, features on beer culture and industry events, weekly beer-related editorials, and an internationally recognized, semi-annual RateBeer Best competition. The community now has thousands of members from more than 60 countries who have rated tens of thousands of beers from around the world. Our mission is to provide independent, unbiased, consumer-driven information about beer and breweries and to enhance the image and worldwide appreciation of beer.

* RateBeer is #1 among beer Web sites in total reach and verifies this and other claims with industry standard, third parties (65 per million web surfers - Apr 2004. Verified by Alexa.com*)

RateBeer also leads all other beer, wine and food Web sites by total traffic rank (12,803rd overall - Apr 2004*)

RateBeer serves the craft beer community around the world by maintaining the most accurate and comprehensive collection of information on beer.

Beer ratings (over 1,042,000 - Jan 2007)

Beers (over 59,000 - Jan 2007)

Brewers (over 7,300 - Jan 2007)

Our Mission

RateBeer is an independent community of beer enthusiasts dedicated to the pursuit and appreciation of good beer. Our mission is to continue to serve the craft beer community as the premier resource for unbiased, consumer-driven information about beer and breweries worldwide and to enhance the image and worldwide appreciation of beer by:

Providing a forum for beer enthusiasts to share their opinions of the beers they are drinking, discuss beer and brewing, and discover new beers and breweries;

Encouraging our members to support and promote their favorite brewers and the restaurants and retailers that sell their favorite beers;

Conducting targeted outreach to brewers, restaurants, and retailers; and

Conducting targeted public relations efforts to enhance the image of the site and of the beer industry. Our goal is to be an independent, self-sustaining organization without accepting direct advertising revenue from breweries. We will derive our income from our memberships and other services and from non-restrictive, non-commercial contributions, grants, and fees.

Edited by catesta

January 22, 2007

(Santa Rosa, CA) Over one million times, RateBeer.com beer reviewers worldwide have raised a glass to review a new beer. We've tallied their scores and the exciting results are now in.

As it has been for the last 6 years, RateBeer Best was again the largest beer competition in the world -- over 1 million reviews of 59,000 beers from over 7300 brewers worldwide were tallied. A particular emphasis was placed on tastings from the last nine months. Additionally, brewpubs, bottle shops, restaurants and bars around the world were awarded prizes. Cheers to all the winners and to everyone who keeps the magical world of craft beer growing!

* EXPERIENCED REVIEWERS

Strongly supported by solid tasting experience: Even though the competition judging is fairly open to all consumers, the vast majority of ratings, 88%, were submitted by persons with over 100 tastings reported.

* WORLDWIDE

Limited American bias: Of the top 20 master raters, each with over 3400 ratings, only 25% are American.

That's like statistics - it can be skewed to say what you want it to. "Limited American Bias"?? How many of the total set of raters are American? 5 of the top 20 are American, but how many of the total set of raters are? 80%?

I find it curious that the "Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery" for example can be considered a better beer than any number of European beers that I'm familiar with. And there are only 2 German beers on the list, one of which I've tried (Schneider Weisse). I've had numerous German beers that are far better than that one.

Again, there's no credibility to this list, and it's far too U.S.-centric.

January 22, 2007

* EXPERIENCED REVIEWERS

* WORLDWIDE

That's like statistics - it can be skewed to say what you want it to. "Limited American Bias"?? How many of the total set of raters are American? 5 of the top 20 are American, but how many of the total set of raters are? 80%?

I find it curious that the "Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery" for example can be considered a better beer than any number of European beers that I'm familiar with. And there are only 2 German beers on the list, one of which I've tried (Schneider Weisse). I've had numerous German beers that are far better than that one.

Again, there's no credibility to this list, and it's far too U.S.-centric.

and how serious can you take someone who can rank more than 3400 beers ? never heard of the two German beers on that list btw but i am really not an expert

i generally find their rankings reasonably close to my american tastes, although i regard natty ice as one of the finest brews in the world.

"American tastes" - that's the key. I'm still guessing most of the raters are U.S. based (and have American tastes), and are focused on U.S. microbrews, as catesta mentioned.

I don't think it's fair to call this the top 100 brewers in the world. American microbrews are better than the American big brewers for sure. But there are far too many quality beers that aren't on this list, from all over the world.