Swinging Bach - J.S. Bach, that is...

king ubu

A friend of mine has chosen to write his diploma/thesis at University on Bach material used by jazz musicians, hence its title, "Swinging Bach". The scope is 1890 to today, he wants to analyze various musicians and their way of dealing with Bach's compositions.

He's aware of the Modern Jazz Quartet and John Lewis, of the Classical Jazz Quartet (with Kenny Barron), and of course of Jacques Louissier's "Play Bach" material. I also pointed out the little thing of Bud Powell's, "Bud on Bach", but haven't had a lot of time so far to delve deeper into this.

The only thing I haven't told him about yet and I have, are these two fun compilations done by the French Sagajazz label:

48.jpg49.jpg

They proceed chronologically, thus the Bach tracks are the opening ones on volume 1. I don't have the discs at hand but it seems there are only two Bach tracks here:

01 Interprétation Swing du 1er mouvement du Concerto en ré mineur Eddie South

02 Bach Goes to Town Benny Goodman

Any help appreciated! Just point out recordings and musicians, please!

Sorry, it's been a while since I listened. But as I recall everything that I heard by both groups, under their own names, was good. They specialized in Bach and Bach-sounding arrangements, with rhythm section, of course. I suggest searching Amazon.

Edited by MoGrubb

Also, there is an album that came out on RCA with two different titles and slightly different track lineups.

"Japanese Bach Scene" and "JS Bach Is Alive & Well & Doing His Thing On The Koto"

Features bach played on traditional Japanese instruments backed by a jazz rhythm section.

Don't know if it's on CD.

Brubeck meets Bach - no idea what this is

http://www.amazon.de/Brubeck-Meets-Bach-Dave/dp/B000NA205A

and then vaguely recall hearing some of this on the radio and liking it somehow, Joachim Kühn and classical musicians

http://www.amazon.de/Bach-Now-Thomanerchor...9594&sr=8-1

more Kühn Bach:

http://www.amazon.de/Allegro-Vivace-Piano-...9809&sr=1-7

and shouldn't there be some 1950s Third Stream stuff?

Edited by Niko

There's a very nice rendition of the Badinerie from the b minor suite by the Bulgarian Jazz Quartet Focus '65 with Milcho Leviev and Simeon Shterev - I intended to make a needle drop of this one later this week, anyway, and will send you a copy.

Your friend is aware of the Klazz Brothers?

There's a very nice rendition of the Badinerie from the b minor suite by the Bulgarian Jazz Quartet Focus '65 with Milcho Leviev and Simeon Shterev - I intended to make a needle drop of this one later this week, anyway, and will send you a copy.

Thanks in advance!

Klazz Brothers? No, I guess not... neither am I!

By the way, the great John Lewis solo album "Private Concert" (reissued in Universal France's Heritage of Anniversary series two or three years ago) contains two adaptions of Bach compositions.

And I still think there should be many such instances, where someone rather than doing a whole album of Bach, did adapt one composition in between originals and standards etc. But I haven't even been able yet to go through all of my own discs, looking for such "hidden" tracks... still, if anyone has any additional input, I assume it would be welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Klazz Brothers? No, I guess not... neither am I!

By the way, the great John Lewis solo album "Private Concert" (reissued in Universal France's Heritage of Anniversary series two or three years ago) contains two adaptions of Bach compositions.

And I still think there should be many such instances, where someone rather than doing a whole album of Bach, did adapt one composition in between originals and standards etc. But I haven't even been able yet to go through all of my own discs, looking for such "hidden" tracks... still, if anyone has any additional input, I assume it would be welcome!

just tried a search for bach on jazzdisco.org, did not look through the results very carefully though there seem to be a number of things in between useless results... unfortunately this is unissued:

Les McCann Quintet

Les McCann (p) Leroy Vinnegar (b) Donald Dean (d) Victor Pantoja (cga) Willie Bobo (tim)

RCA Studios, NYC, November 20, 1968

15703 Untitled Bach unissued

15704 Untitled Blues -

15705 Burnin' Coal Atlantic SD 1516

15706 Untitled Bach, No. 2 unissued

16488 Burnin' Coal (ed.) Atlantic 2615

* Les McCann - Much Les (Atlantic SD 1516)

* Les McCann - With These Hands c/w Burnin' Coal (Atlantic 2615)

but there was also

Ornette Coleman - Tone Dialing (Verve-Harmolodic 527483-2)

Ornette Coleman (sax, tp, vln) Dave Bryant (key) Chris Rosenberg, Ken Wessel (g) Bradley Jones, Al MacDowell (b) Chris Walker (b, key) Denardo Coleman (d) Badal Roy (tabla, per) Avenda Khadija, Moishe Nalm (vo)

NYC, 1995

Street Blues

Search For Life

Guadalupe

Bach Prelude

and maybe more

Edited by Niko