Milt Jackson - where next?

ok, i need help too: i gave my copy of that !!excellent!! Jazz in Paris Barney Wilen disc that has Milt Jackson on piano to a friend several years ago who probably already didn't know where it was before he moved out from his girlfriend recently (and supposedly has long forgotten about it) - should i bother to ask him (which most likely just has the effect of making him feel bad) or simply forget about it and get a new copy? (probably not what MG is looking for?! - it has the Modern Jazz Quartet with Barney Wilen minus John Lewis, Milt Jackson in Lewis place and i loved it...)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, i need help too: i gave my copy of that !!excellent!! Jazz in Paris Barney Wilen disc that has Milt Jackson on piano to a friend several years ago who probably already didn't know where it was before he moved out from his girlfriend recently (and supposedly has long forgotten about it) - should i bother to ask him (which most likely just has the effect of making him feel bad) or simply forget about it and get a new copy? (probably not what MG is looking for?! - it has the Modern Jazz Quartet with Barney Wilen minus John Lewis, Milt Jackson in Lewis place and i loved it...)

Just make sure you don't end up spending the rest of your days without it, it's too good to miss! :P

Nothing else I can add... don't have much Bags yet, myself.

brownie: the two Prestiges, the first is the Milt Jackson Quartet, I assume (I have it and find it... subdued on good days, boring on bad... it's a late night disc, to me, very quiet and all), but what's the second one? (And then I assume all the other OJCs were done for Riverside and later Pablo?)

brownie: the two Prestiges, the first is the Milt Jackson Quartet, I assume (I have it and find it... subdued on good days, boring on bad... it's a late night disc, to me, very quiet and all), but what's the second one? (And then I assume all the other OJCs were done for Riverside and later Pablo?)

There's 'Soul Pioneers' with Horace Silver and then there is the session with trumpet player Henri Boozier, Silver, Percy Heath and Klook that is on an earlier Prestige album where the session is one side, with the MJQ on the other side. Great version of 'Opus de Funk' there!

Mr Goldberg, if you would like a quick and easy way to get a whole load of early Bags, including some of the Prestige and Savoy recordings and, as you are in the U.K., it should be easy to pick up, I can recommend this one;

51ldAWHmVKL._SS400_.jpg

Yes, I know it's a Proper Set and there will more than likely be the usual blah, blah blah, but there is loads there, the notes and sound quality are very good also.

Bags of Soul

Big fan of his Kosei Nenkin sides on Pablo, with Cedar Walton and Teddy Edwards. In fact, most of his Pablo stuff is very good.

I like Teddy a lot, in fact I've had this one (these two now, in the CD age) on my wishlist ever since reading my first books on jazz (Arrigo Polillo's and J.E. Berendt's books they were, the later of whom recommends this one in his short list of recommended listening.

Reverence and Compassion

41DYE504CNL._SS500_.jpg

The Prophet Speaks

41XN533AFRL._SS500_.jpg

Neither of these show up on Amazon UK. Are they available? Or just on obscure labels?

MG

MG: those two are on Quest. Quincy Jones' label.

Check here, MG: SSM

Ah, did Q produce these?

It looks as if "The prophet speaks" has recently been reissued in Britain, but only as a download - and very expensive, in my view. Otherwise, second hand cassettes (!) are being offered at about $56!!!!!

"Reverence" can be obtained from some British firm, but that's not cheap.

I'm giving up on imports for a bit because Customs seem to have a down on me and even small packages are being stopped. Since the Post Office charges a flat rate of $16 to collect even a couple of dollars customs dues (OUT-FUCKING-RAGEOUS!!!!), the price of imports is becoming as prohibitive as that of UK albums.

But thanks for your help. I'll keep these in mind.

MG

• 6 months later...

I heard the Samba one as a Japanese import and wasn't blown away, but if its a style you enjoy, I'd say go for it. That's The Way It Is is the best Impulse, imo. Teddy Edwards and Ray Brown = superb music. There's another LP of material from the same gig, The Way It Had To Be, but I don't think it was ever issued on CD.

Oh, yea! As I recall, that is the one where Bags plays two-four fingered piano as if he is using mallets. And he swings LIKE HELL. A killer!

:tup:tup:tup

Edited by John L

Any fans of Jackson's work on Impulse? (How many did he make?) I haven't heard any of those records. Always wondered about the samba album.

I have Just The Way It Had to Be, on LP, it's an excellent live date from Shelley's Manne Hole in 1969, with Teddy Edwards, Ray Brown and Monty Alexander.

I heard the Samba one as a Japanese import and wasn't blown away, but if its a style you enjoy, I'd say go for it. That's The Way It Is is the best Impulse, imo. Teddy Edwards and Ray Brown = superb music. There's another LP of material from the same gig, The Way It Had To Be, but I don't think it was ever issued on CD.

Yes - great music. The Kosei Nenkin CDs (two double length CDs from one or two nights in Tokyo) are also sensational - Milt, Teddy, Cedar, Ray Brown, Higgins. And all on top form! Phew!

MG

Any fans of Jackson's work on Impulse? (How many did he make?) I haven't heard any of those records. Always wondered about the samba album.

I have Just The Way It Had to Be, on LP, it's an excellent live date from Shelley's Manne Hole in 1969, with Teddy Edwards, Ray Brown and Monty Alexander.

Big fan of "statements" here ! It is a KILLER session. Everyone should listen to it. There's a song called "A Thrill from the Blues" which is one of my all time favourite jazz track...its groovy, its funky, its intelligent...And the rest of the record is brilliant as well ! RVG recording, ENORMOUS sound. You can buy it right away !!!!!!!

Big fan of "statements" here ! It is a KILLER session. Everyone should listen to it. There's a song called "A Thrill from the Blues" which is one of my all time favourite jazz track...its groovy, its funky, its intelligent...And the rest of the record is brilliant as well ! RVG recording, ENORMOUS sound. You can buy it right away !!!!!!!

Sounds like a must. I loves me some Milt.

Yes - great music. The Kosei Nenkin CDs (two double length CDs from one or two nights in Tokyo) are also sensational - Milt, Teddy, Cedar, Ray Brown, Higgins. And all on top form! Phew!

MG

both of those are finally on the way to me!

I have never heard a Milt recording that I didn't like. He's been one of my top favorite players ever since a neighbor came around with a copy of "Bags and Trane" for my young ears to hear.

Always very soulful.

To answer one question, "The Jazz and Samba" (Impulse) is a fantastic album. I have the LP, but the jewel case Japanese CD, which would now be very hard to find, has superb sound. The opening, where Richard Davis kicks straight in, is an unforgettable music moment. To get Richard with Milt is a huge bonus. And Milt is with a favorite side-kick, Jimmy Heath, so the sessions are very relaxed.