John Abercrombie

7/4

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bluenote82

Mark Feldman is quite simply the best improviser out there right now on violin.

There's others?

Of course there are others, but he just has probably the best tone and approach that I've heard from a jazz violinist in quite some time.

There's others?

Of course there are others, but he just has probably the best tone and approach that I've heard from a jazz violinist in quite some time.

Name another jazz violinist who's well known and performing now.

Guest bluenote82

There's others?

Regina Carter, Jean Luc Ponty, Michael White, that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Guest Bill Barton

There's others?

Regina Carter, Jean Luc Ponty, Michael White, that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Billy Bang!

+ Carla Kihlstedt (in addition to the Tin Hat recordings check out the new duo with Satoko Fujii) & Jason Kao Hwang (his group Edge sounds great on the new CD Stories Before Within which also has some brilliant cornet playing from Taylor Ho Bynum).

Edited by Bill Barton

nuttree_standards.jpg

Nuttree Quartet - Standards

2008 March 18 Release.

A modern supergroup of some of the hottest jazz players around releases their debut album led by the legendary John Abercrombie on Guitar with Gary Versace - Hammond B3 organ, Jerry Bergonzi - Tenor Sax and Adam Nussbaum - Drums. They are friends who have all played together before, but never all at once in the same group. Tracks are: Our Love Is Here To Stay, Come Sunday, Footprints, Sometime Ago, Witchcraft, Israel, Eronel, All Or Nothing At All, 12 Bars To Go and the Coltrane classic Naima.

It's not Abercrombie, but do you have the Coryell "Tributaries" album? It includes both Joe Beck and Scofield, all acoustic. Nice recording, with one solo track, a couple of duos, and the rest is all three together.

61ZAB59TKKL._AA240_.jpg

No, but I should. I'll add it to the wish list! Coryell has done a bunch of duos and trios.

Thanks.

nuttree_standards.jpg

Nuttree Quartet - Standards

2008 March 18 Release.

A modern supergroup of some of the hottest jazz players around releases their debut album led by the legendary John Abercrombie on Guitar with Gary Versace - Hammond B3 organ, Jerry Bergonzi - Tenor Sax and Adam Nussbaum - Drums. They are friends who have all played together before, but never all at once in the same group. Tracks are: Our Love Is Here To Stay, Come Sunday, Footprints, Sometime Ago, Witchcraft, Israel, Eronel, All Or Nothing At All, 12 Bars To Go and the Coltrane classic Naima.

Thanks for the heads up on this. Sound samples at amazon are intriguing

• 2 months later...

The Nuttree Quartet

Jazz Club Fasching

Stockholm, Sweden

April 1, 2008

Jerry Bergonzi (ts)

John Abercrombie (g)

Gary Versace (B-3 organ)

Adam Nussbaum (d)

I've been thinking about picking up the new CD by this group, but the 'all standards' approach suggests it might be a little sedate or overly familiar. Have you heard it?

Sure have. I don't think it's sedate. I don't have a problem with them playing standards. I think I like the *private recording* better, but I'm still listening and checking them out.

CDUniverse is listing:

Topics.jpg

Topics

Challenge Jazz CHR 70137

Personnel: John Abercrombie (guitar); John Ruocco (Clavinet).

which doesn't seem right, clavinet? :unsure:

1 Embraceable You (George & Ira Gerhswin)

2 Slides (John Abercrombie & John Ruocco)

3 Sometime Ago (Sergio Mihanovich)

4 Phrases (John Abercrombie & John Ruocco)

5 I Can’t Get Started (Vernon Duke & Ira Gershwin)

6 Trills (John Abercrombie & John Ruocco)

7 I Hear A Rhapsody (George Fragos, Jack Baker & Dick Gasparre)

8 Mutes (John Abercrombie & John Ruocco)

9 How Deep Is The Ocean (Irving Berlin)

10 Moraz (John Abercrombie & John Ruocco)

11 I’m Getting Sentimental Over You (George Bassman & Ned Washington)

12 Fast And Slow (John Abercrombie & John Ruocco)

DESCRIPTION

John & John: searching...listening...finding…hearing. Just a few hours, right here at the house, mumbling a song title, telling a joke. Two seasoned musicians: the context was the concept, the individuality more than strong enough – improvisation. The longer you listen, the more you hear. Subtle interaction - musical conversation: The sound gets in and stays. John & John. Thank you.

A better definition than these poetic liner notes by Hein van de Geyn of this intimate chamber music-like jazz is hardly to give. The instrumentation brings a reminiscence to the famous recordings from the sixties by Jimmy Giuffre with Jim Hall. A similar heritage but the musical context is totally different: more introvert, lyrical and half a century more modern.

Edited by 7/4

The instrumentation brings a reminiscence to the famous recordings from the sixties by Jimmy Giuffre with Jim Hall. A similar heritage but the musical context is totally different: more introvert, lyrical and half a century more modern.

Maybe not clavinet, but clarinet? :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...

I find this is a very nice surprise.

AbercrombieRuoccoTopics.jpg

John Abercrombie & John Ruocco - Topics

John Abercrombie - guitar

John Ruocco - clarinet

Fresh sounding material...mostly standards, very nice chamber music. There should be more new

duos and small groups with non-sax winds...

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7639697

I'm 7/4 and I approve this message.

Edited by 7/4

It's not Abercrombie, but do you have the Coryell "Tributaries" album? It includes both Joe Beck and Scofield, all acoustic. Nice recording, with one solo track, a couple of duos, and the rest is all three together.

61ZAB59TKKL._AA240_.jpg

No, but I should. I'll add it to the wish list! Coryell has done a bunch of duos and trios.

Thanks.

the domestic cover:

small.jpg

Larry Coryell - Tributaries (With John Scofield & Joe Beck)

listening now: sounds good to me, that Ovation 12-string sounds a bit funny, but I'll get used to it.

61ZAB59TKKL._AA240_.jpg

Thanks.

the domestic cover:

small.jpg

Larry Coryell - Tributaries (With John Scofield & Joe Beck)

listening now: sounds good to me, that Ovation 12-string sounds a bit funny, but I'll get used to it.

I think the top cover (with the OBI strip) was the original LP cover when released by Arista Novus. The bottom cover was the CD reissue; no idea why they felt the need for a picture frame.

I think the top cover (with the OBI strip) was the original LP cover when released by Arista Novus. The bottom cover was the CD reissue; no idea why they felt the need for a picture frame.

I'm under the impression that there was a bunch of CD releases called NovusSeries70 and they all had similar art work.

NovusSeries70_TALTBigBand.jpg19717883.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...