John Abercrombie

7/4

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some more info on the Rätus Flisch disc here:

http://ssl.adhost.com/jazzloft/baskets/pos.cfm?CD=4660

(the respective page on the Brambus site isn't working, it seems)

edit: Amazon has 2002 as the year of release.

And this site here finally also mentions Abercrombie...

Not that helpful, I'm afraid!

Edited by king ubu

some more info on the Rätus Flisch disc here:

http://ssl.adhost.com/jazzloft/baskets/pos.cfm?CD=4660

(the respective page on the Brambus site isn't working, it seems)

edit: Amazon has 2002 as the year of release.

And this site here finally also mentions Abercrombie...

Not that helpful, I'm afraid!

Very helpful. Now I have a release date. :cool:

From over in the What are you listening to now? thread:

Do you have all of Abercrombie's recordings?

Nah...I do have a lot. Last Winter when I was putting together the discography, I bought about 34 CDs to beef up the collection. I think that almost doubled what I have.

As soon as I get my job situation together, there's some new items I want to check out. :blink:

I started with the discography on Abercrombies web site (way out of date), added my collection, used Google, CDUniverse and Amazon.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest bluenote82

Speaking of John Abercrombie's discography what do you think the strangest or most experimental album as leader he did? In my opinion, I'm going with this one:

Animato - 1989 ECM

512okRgCwzL._AA240_.jpg

Edited by bluenote82

Speaking of John Abercrombie's discography what do you think the strangest or most experimental album as leader he did? In my opinion, I'm going with this one:

Animato - 1989 ECM

512okRgCwzL._AA240_.jpg

It has some really beautiful keyboards by Vince Mendoza, I don't think it's too far out or anything.

If the 1st Gateway album was a solo album, I pick it. Very strange guitar tone on that album...

Guest bluenote82

Animato - 1989 ECM

512okRgCwzL._AA240_.jpg

It has some really beautiful keyboards by Vince Mendoza, I don't think it's too far out or anything.

If the 1st Gateway album was a solo album, I pick it. Very strange guitar tone on that album...

Well now that I think about it, it's not too weird. I love that song "Single Moon," how about you?

Yeah, that tone on Gateway was a little out there, "Back-Woods Song" has some strange kind of tremolo sound coming from Abercrombie's guitar.

How about the most annoying album by Abercrombie? I'm going with "Current Events." That album had alot of cheesy guitar synthesizer on it as did "Getting There" and "Abercrombie/Johnson/Erskine."

Edited by bluenote82

He's very experimental with his tone, always has been. I have no problem with his synths, it's the peizo pickups instead of microphones for his acoustic sound that drives me crazy. That also includes hybrid peizo/mag pups on his electric guitars. But with 200+ recordings, there's a lot to choose from.

Guest bluenote82

He's very experimental with his tone, always has been. I have no problem with his synths, it's the peizo pickups instead of microphones for his acoustic sound that drives me crazy. That also includes hybrid peizo/mag pups on his electric guitars. But with 200+ recordings, there's a lot to choose from.

I liked his new album "The Third Quartet." I thought that his tone was really great on that one. What a beautiful album as well. Mark Feldman is quite simply the best improviser out there right now on violin. His "Last Exit" album is also noteworthy.