John Abercrombie

7/4

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure if I missed it on your discography, but this item from my Greg Osby discography is also available.

Date: April 2005

Label: Original Spin Media

John Abercrombie, Greg Osby (ldr), Greg Osby (as), John Abercrombie (g)

a. Improvisation #1 - 7:18 (John Abercrombie, Greg Osby)

b. Improvisation #2 - 5:54 (John Abercrombie, Greg Osby)

c. Improvisation #3 - 8:05 (John Abercrombie, Greg Osby)

d. Improvisation #4 - 10:03 (John Abercrombie, Greg Osby)

Canadian television series produced by Original Spin Media

It is available for purchase from Original Spin Media.

I am not sure if I missed it on your discography, but this item from my Greg Osby discography is also available.

nice thread and very cool post above. i may buy that dvd.

i have an instructional cd/booklet from abercrombie that i didn't see on the discography from the OP. it's titled John Abercrombie's Concepts - Developing Improvisational Ideas. he plays/talks through sample chords and scales and then plays through tunes using the samples he's given. the booklet has the tunes wrtten out in lead seet format and has all the scales/modes written out that he talks/plays through. it's fairly basic stuff but it's abercrombie so it's useful, interesting, and fun.

i think i may have gotten this from him when he came to give a master class and performance where i was working/studying, but it was quite a while ago and it's a bit hazy. anyone else have this thing?

• 9 months later...

same label...different release?

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I heard Abercrombie play with Lavano, Gress and Nussbaum at Birdland, NYC a few weeks ago and I'm glad I did. I keep up with the albums but it's been years since I've been out to hear the man. Great show, they were playing tunes from his latest ECM album Within A Song.

I heard Abercrombie play with Lavano, Gress and Nussbaum at Birdland, NYC a few weeks ago and I'm glad I did. I keep up with the albums but it's been years since I've been out to hear the man. Great show, they were playing tunes from his latest ECM album Within A Song.

My favourite Abercrombie in a while.

I have mixed thoughts about the new one. It's a retrospective and he didn't write the tunes, so it's really different from a typical ECM album by Abercrombie. He's quite a prolific composer.

“Within A Song” celebrates the spirit of discovery that illuminated the jazz of the 1960s, as John Abercrombie declares his musical loyalties in a quartet album that pays tribute to a range of early influences including Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Bill Evans, Ornette Coleman, Sonny Rollins and Jim Hall. “This was the music that spoke to me. When I heard it, it was like finding a new home.” The group assembled especially for this production, recorded at New York’s Avatar Studios in September 2011 features tenorist Joe Lovano as the optimal partner for Abercrombie. Together they mine deep feelings from these modern jazz classics.

I have mixed thoughts about the new one. It's a retrospective and he didn't write the tunes, so it's really different from a typical ECM album by Abercrombie. He's quite a prolific composer.

“Within A Song” celebrates the spirit of discovery that illuminated the jazz of the 1960s, as John Abercrombie declares his musical loyalties in a quartet album that pays tribute to a range of early influences including Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Bill Evans, Ornette Coleman, Sonny Rollins and Jim Hall. “This was the music that spoke to me. When I heard it, it was like finding a new home.” The group assembled especially for this production, recorded at New York’s Avatar Studios in September 2011 features tenorist Joe Lovano as the optimal partner for Abercrombie. Together they mine deep feelings from these modern jazz classics.

I just found the Abercrombie/Feldman combination a bit too samey over the last few records. I like Mark Feldman in other contexts, but prefer the saxophone on this recent disc. And I think they spin the covers enough to keep them fresh. Just a personal preference, not an evaluation of worth.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I just found the Abercrombie/Feldman combination a bit too samey over the last few records. I like Mark Feldman in other contexts, but prefer the saxophone on this recent disc. And I think they spin the covers enough to keep them fresh. Just a personal preference, not an evaluation of worth.

I agree, that's four albums with Feldman on 'em.

• 6 months later...

I can't help thinking that Abercrombie isn't well served by the "ECM sound." His playing has a lot more bite and verve than how he's recorded by ECM. In listening to "Cat 'N Mouse," i really have to crank up the volume to get any sort of dynamics; otherwise, it just sounds like noodling. Or an album like "Tactics," which should be a great organ trio album. The sound is almost too polite.

I can't help thinking that Abercrombie isn't well served by the "ECM sound." His playing has a lot more bite and verve than how he's recorded by ECM. In listening to "Cat 'N Mouse," i really have to crank up the volume to get any sort of dynamics; otherwise, it just sounds like noodling. Or an album like "Tactics," which should be a great organ trio album. The sound is almost too polite.

If this were the case, and you'd have to trust the artist's judgement on considerations such as this, why in the world would he still be recording for ECM some 40 years after he began? FWIW, he lives in my neighborhood and I run into him from time to time. Whenever I mention things that the ECM naysayers on this board and other boards say about ECM and its "sound", he just laughs, shakes his head and says something like "where would the world be if people didn't have SOMETHING to complain about?". You're just trying to stir the pot, and are full of scata. If you're the native NYer you claim to be, you'll know what I mean by that.

The only Abercrombie album I have is Gateway's Homecoming (apart from Joe Lovano's Landmarks). How would you grade Abercrombie's sound on that (those)?

The only Abercrombie album I have is Gateway's Homecoming (apart from Joe Lovano's Landmarks). How would you grade Abercrombie's sound on that (those)?

Sorry, I don't have the album to judge.

If this were the case, and you'd have to trust the artist's judgement on considerations such as this, why in the world would he still be recording for ECM some 40 years after he began? FWIW, he lives in my neighborhood and I run into him from time to time. Whenever I mention things that the ECM naysayers on this board and other boards say about ECM and its "sound", he just laughs, shakes his head and says something like "where would the world be if people didn't have SOMETHING to complain about?". You're just trying to stir the pot, and are full of scata. If you're the native NYer you claim to be, you'll know what I mean by that.

Wow, you're abrasive.

I've always liked his ECM album, Getting There. And Lovano's first Blue Note record w/ Abercrombie, Landmarks.

Also, the McCoy Tyner double album 4 x 4, where each side features a guest soloist including Abercrombie, Hutcherson, Hubbard, and Arthur Blythe.

A second :tup for the Tyner album. Abercrombie on electric mandolin burns! But the whole album is good: Freddie, Booby, Arthur Blythe.

Sorry, I don't have the album to judge.

>

Wow, you're abrasive.

I've always liked his ECM album, Getting There. And Lovano's first Blue Note record w/ Abercrombie, Landmarks.

Also, the McCoy Tyner double album 4 x 4, where each side features a guest soloist including Abercrombie, Hutcherson, Hubbard, and Arthur Blythe.

A second :tup for the Tyner album. Abercrombie on electric mandolin burns! But the whole album is good: Freddie, Booby, Arthur Blythe.

When people spout untruths and bs as if it's universally accepted common knowledge, I get abrasive. Besides, I told you I personally spoke to the artist about things included in your post, and HE'S basically saying you're full of it. So instead of addressing that, you call me 'abrasive'. Way to deflect!

• 2 months later...
This just in from ECM's Steve Lake at Jazz Corner:

The three Abercrombie Quartet discs with Beirach comprise the next box set in the series. For release later this year.
I'd already heard about this from John Abercrombie a few months ago, but this is cool too. I've been asking about this for years.
:party: :party: :party:
Edited by 7/4

• 8 months later...