your most unusual recordings

lou reed-metal machine music

braxton plays standards

the wind harp--recordings of a huge harp built on a vermont hillside , played by the wind, during the various seasons of the day and year. lovely recording. 2 record set.

tom johnson playing a series of suspended tuned burglar alarms, lovely sounds.

no answer--michael mantler sets beckett's poetry to jazz instrumentation.

steve allen plays piano for jack kerouac reading poetry.

inside--paul horn's flute in the incredible acoustics of the taj mahal.

classical heads--joseph egar, with symphony orchestra, mainly reworking berlioz' symphony fantastique.

terje rypdal--lux aeterna

keith jarrett--hymns/spheres--2 records playing a very old german pipe organ.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bill Barton

tell the forum music you own that's very very far from the beaten path.

Hmmmm... You know, there don't seem to be too many beaten down paths in some peoples' collections, including mine. :w

Maybe the recording from UbuWeb of Cecil Taylor reading his poetry would qualify.

Frank Zappa playing bicycles in the Steve Allen show, with the show band accompanying him free-style (I got that off dime some years ago, no official release).

Seems it's on u-tube, but I can't check that (blocked where I work) right now:

part 1 & part 2

or here

here's a story about it:

http://www.jerryhopkins.com/stories#zappa

I have a few odd ones.

First, a few political recordings.

Bembeya Jazz National - Regard sur le passe. A spoken history of Samory Toure, Almamy of the Mandinke Empire of the late 19th Century, who fought the French colonists for 18 years.

Bembeya Jazz National - Chemin du PDG (Parti Democratique de Guinee)/Horoya Band - Tunyalee.

This album was one of several recorded in 1970 following an unsuccessful coup attempt led by the Portugese navy. The speeches, over a musical background, celebrate the defeat of what was seen as a recolonisation attempt.

Papa & Kandia Kouyate - OUA. Kandia sings and Papa speaks a harangue in praise of the Organisation of African Unity.

Alpha Blondy - Jah Houphouet-Boigny nous parle. Over a reggae backing, a speech given to the Rassemblement democratique africain (African democratic assemby) by the President of Cote d'Ivoire.

Off the politics, now.

Sonny Hopson - a radio broadcast from 1969 on WHAT-AM Philadelphia. Actually, this isn't so far out - Jim Sangrey has a copy, too :)

Lemzo Diamono presente Gallo Thiello! - Taxi arrete. Lemzo Diamono was, at the time (1997?) one of Senegal''s top Mbalax bands. They backed up this recording of one of Senegal's top comedians. It's all in Wolof, but still, you can't help laughing!

MG

I realize that it's not a contest, but I can't see anyone topping you, Rod.
...but that's what's interesting about this rather simple question -

it's not simple! :D. I think it ties in nicely with Allen's thread about

what it is that can be considered surprising (or in this case - "most unusual").

I'd have to put some strictures on the definition in order to come up with an answer.

Currently, I'm thinking of "most unusual gruesome recordings" - :lol:

It does make for a good starting point for reflection.

I picked this one up for Father's Day a couple of years ago:

The Three Sheeters Entertainers Club

RIB and ROAST

RON SANTO

Among the participants were Don Kessinger, Glen Beckert, Randy Hundley and a few professional comedians I'd never heard.

Since Dad doesn't have a turntable or functioning CD player, I transferred it to cassette and kept the LP - and ironically enough, I don't think he ever sat down to listen to it. :ph34r:

I picked this one up for Father's Day a couple of years ago:

The Three Sheeters Entertainers Club

RIB and ROAST

RON SANTO

Among the participants were Don Kessinger, Glen Beckert, Randy Hundley and a few professional comedians I'd never heard.

Since Dad doesn't have a turntable or functioning CD player, I transferred it to cassette and kept the LP - and ironically enough, I don't think he ever sat down to listen to it. :ph34r:

That album has Chicago Cub Carmen Fanzone who later played trumpet in the "Tonight Show" band.

I think his wife is the singer Sue Raney?

Didja ever pick up their tribute to the Cubs - a single called "Pennant Fever" recorded for Chess?

Edited by rostasi