Jazz Impro Live 2007

kh1958

Is anyone else going to this seminar/festival, a week from this Friday and Saturday in New York?

I'm going to be in New York for a work related seminar at the end of next week, and was hoping to attend Friday night and Saturday.

There's a pretty nice lineup of concerts, including McCoy Tyner with Stanley Clarke and Jack DeJohnette, Geri Allen Trio, Pat Martino, Onaje Allan Gumbs, Avery Sharpe, Jimmy Heath Big Band, Sonny Fortune, Don Friedman, Roy Haynes, Wallace Roney, Stanley Clarke and others.

http://www.jazzimprov.com/live/

Edited by kh1958

I had a great time at this festival.

I wasn't able to make it until the Friday night concerts.

First off, the Avery Sharpe Trio with Onaje Allan Gumbs on piano and Winard Harper on drums. A very good group.

Next, Geri Allen Trio. Interesting set, including interaction with a very skilled tap dancer.

Onaje Allan Gumbs Sextet, with Mark Shim on tenor. One of the best sets I saw at the festival.

Supergroup time, the McCoy Tyner Quartet with Gary Bartz, Stanley Clarke and Jack DeJohnette.

McCoy ended at around midnight, and about 75% of the crowd left after his performance. This was a big mistake. Pat Martino was the last concert of the night, and he was in masterful, burning form from the outset. Mostly he played Wes Montgomery tunes. This performance was great.

Saturday, I had a bit of time to look at the exhibitions--the highlight of course was the Mosaic booth. Lots of sales ($10 for singles, $35 for Selects, and a number of the black boxes at sale prices also).

At 3, Sonny Fortune Quartet. Certainly my favorite saxophonist heard at this festival.

Next, Frank Kimbrough Trio. I wasn't familiar with him, but really enjoyed his set.

After taking a break, my next concert was the Don Friedman Trio. He really sounds as good or better than on his Riverside recordings. A really fine trio performance.

Vincent Herring with Jeremy Pelt. A bit of an odd group, with a very loud, funk styled electric bassist, but good playing from the horn players. Nice version of Norwegian Wood, of all things.

Roy Haynes Quartet. With Jaleel Shaw. Nice set, by the amazingly energetic octagenarian.

Finally, at 12:40, the Stanley Clarke Group begins the final set. I've never been a fan particularly, so I wasn't sure what to expect. But in fact, this concert was perhaps the most thrilling of the festival. Performing with violin, keyboards, and drums, Clarke was masterful and electrifying on four pieces. GoodBye Pork Pie Hat (on electric bass), Confirmation (trio with violin and drums), another piece for the quartet (name escapes me), and solo (amazing). The group was unknown to me, but they were superb (if very young in appearance). It was a fitting climax to the festival.

So overall was the event well attended? I was very interested in trying to get down, but finances and family obligations made it impossible. In any event, since I have had the opportunity to do some writing for the publication I was hoping the event would be successful.

So overall was the event well attended? I was very interested in trying to get down, but finances and family obligations made it impossible. In any event, since I have had the opportunity to do some writing for the publication I was hoping the event would be successful.

Actually, I would say that it was fairly modestly attended. It was easy to see any concert you desired, in my experience. I hope they are able to do it again, but I suspect that attendance fell well short of their hopes.