Amy Winehouse

7/4

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As is often the case these days for e, her remix releases are more interesting/fun/grooving than her original releases, and she ain't go jack squat to do with those, otehr than having a voice that works. And since this is pop, that's sorta the object of the game, really.

I just hope she lives, just because. Seems kinda hellbent on self-destructing, that one does, although maybe she's the female Keith Richards.

Her rendition of Round Midnight on her 1st album made me smile.

:blink:

You Americans must have a different version than us Brits!

I saw her live just after Frank and she was excellent....as was her band.

No American here!

grenoble.jpg

The thing is I bought the single "Take the 'B' Ox" which contains a version of 'RM. I did not realize that this tune did not appear on her first album.

No American here!

grenoble.jpg

The thing is I bought the single "Take the 'B' Ox" which contains a version of 'RM. I did not realize that this tune did not appear on her first album.

Have you just added your location to your signature? Could've sworn it was blank before but I did assume you were from the US!

Cheers.

I'm a big fan! I have, and greatly enjoy, both "Frank" and "Back to Black." I love her voice and I love the fact that Mark Ronson uses the Dap-Kings as her backing group on the new album. Her tunes are very funky and convey her unique personal style. I hope she lives a long time, but I fear that she's going to be an early casualty of fast living.

What puzzles me is why popularity seems to be a deal breaker for so many people (and I mean that on both sides of the issue). There are so many people who automatically diss anyone who tops the charts. Why? What's the logic? A few years ago, people couldn't stop dumping on Norah Jones. Just what exactly did she do to deserve such rancor (aside from having a hit record)?

I just hope she lives, just because. Seems kinda hellbent on self-destructing, that one does, although maybe she's the female Keith Richards.

Her father came out publicly and asked her fans to STOP buying her CD's so that she wouldn't be able to keep up her destructive lifestyle and would be forced to get the help she needs. I haven't really heard her music, one of those musical things I expect to get around to someday without a lot of urgency attached to it.

Edited by felser

Guest Bill Barton

...What puzzles me is why popularity seems to be a deal breaker for so many people (and I mean that on both sides of the issue). There are so many people who automatically diss anyone who tops the charts. Why? What's the logic? A few years ago, people couldn't stop dumping on Norah Jones. Just what exactly did she do to deserve such rancor (aside from having a hit record)?

Good point and one deserving further discussion. Kind of links up with the "commercial" thread. Is Kind of Blue a "commercial" jazz recording because it's popular and sells, and sells, and sells...? Etc., etc.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good, and conversely just because something is popular doesn't mean it is bad.

That said, I haven't heard (nor seen) Amy Winehouse yet. After the madness of the next few weeks clears (Earshot Jazz Festival - tons of shows) maybe I'll have a chance to check her out. Tattoo or not tattoo, that is the question. :lol:

Her father came out publicly and asked her fans to STOP buying her CD's so that she wouldn't be able to keep up her destructive lifestyle and would be forced to get the help she needs. I haven't really heard her music, one of those musical things I expect to get around to someday without a lot of urgency attached to it.

It's not terrible, not great either. In terms of UK songstresses of late, I prefer Lily Allen by FAR.

She needs to split up with Blake Fielder-Civil if she's gonna straighten out. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

...What puzzles me is why popularity seems to be a deal breaker for so many people (and I mean that on both sides of the issue). There are so many people who automatically diss anyone who tops the charts. Why? What's the logic? A few years ago, people couldn't stop dumping on Norah Jones. Just what exactly did she do to deserve such rancor (aside from having a hit record)?

Good point and one deserving further discussion. Kind of links up with the "commercial" thread. Is Kind of Blue a "commercial" jazz recording because it's popular and sells, and sells, and sells...? Etc., etc.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good, and conversely just because something is popular doesn't mean it is bad.

I didn't even know she's popular. With the police, yes...but I don't know anything about the popularity of her music. :huh:

I didn't even know she's popular. With the police, yes...but I don't know anything about the popularity of her music. :huh:

She's certainly been gaining in popularity steadily over the last year or so. Before "Back to Black" was released in the U.S., she was a strictly British phenom ("Frank" is currently still only available in the U.S. as an import. It will be released domestically on November 13th) with a few American fans (mostly in the music industry). Ghostface Killah sampled "I'm No Good" on "More Fish" before "Back to Black" was even available to American listeners. Since the album's U.S. release in the Spring or Summer, she's been on the rise. I've heard "I'm No Good" used as the background music on more than one American T.V. show...

She's not topping the charts yet, but she's getting more and more attention, and that's a good enough reason to piss a lot of people off who don't like anything that sells.

She's not topping the charts yet, but she's getting more and more attention, and that's a good enough reason to piss a lot of people off who don't like anything that sells.

I don't think that the issue is with music that "sells," but more with music that "could be better" that sells past its expiry date.

No American here!

grenoble.jpg

Have you just added your location to your signature? Could've sworn it was blank before but I did assume you were from the US!

Cheers.

Location on my signature is present from the very first day on this forum!!

First time I saw Amy Winehouse was in Jools Holland's show (BBC), before or just when she released her first album. She sang and played guitar (bass line with thumb, chords with rest of fingers, probably nothing too complicated, I don't remember well, but still, for a 19/20 year old...) and she was impressive. I liked her first album very much (still play it sometimes, some of the lyrics I like), and I enjoy her take on Moody's Mood For Love, as well as the Mr. Magic which is hidden in the last, long, and untitled track.

I saw her live a while after the first album was out and didn't like her that much. Looked that success had gone to her head.

Living in the UK I'm completely bored with the media brouhaha around her and have lost interest. When I frist saw her I thought she's got a lot of potential, but I'm not so sure now.

F

PS If the news that she's recording a duo with Pete Doherty is true, I give up completely.

A friend loaded up my iPod with a bunch of new music I'd likely never have otherwise heard. Woke up thinking of and have been listening to her tune Tears Dry on Their Own all day. The first cut I liked was Rehab (obvious, no?) but I really love Tears. Of course, this sort of embarrasses me. Haven't heard her first album.

I think she has kind of interesting phrasing too, stepping late on the Rehab chorus n'such.

Edited by Elissa

Congrats to her father, smart move :wacko: ...someone have to ask publicy her fans to kill her father so that she probably quit her destructive lifestyle...maybe not, when your father is able to do such thing, you need more then a bullet to quit destructive lifestyle. :blink:

BTW never listen nothing of her, but after her father, i'll buy her works. :cool: