Any Vacuum Tube nuts here?

porcy62

I confess that I am a vacuum tube nut.

I have an all tube stereo system, including a universal player (SACD, DVD, CD, MP3) that has been modded to sport a vacuum tubed output section.

I used to be into vintage tube gear, and tubes but now I'm into modern gear that seems to have the benefits of sonic features of solid state and tube. I just can't do without tubes. I do use cryo'd tubes. . . I have NOS cryo'd in my source, and cryo'd current tubes in my other components. And yes, I think they make a difference (I've not had noncro'd tubes of the same make and model as the NOS, but have of the current tubes, and prefer the cryo'd versions.)

Yep. :ph34r: but on a very small scale.

I have an Earmax Pro headphone amp and upon buying it I was interested to see how different tubes affect the sound quality and signature. It is fairly simple with three tubes (one input and two output) but so far i've spent a bit on changing them. I haven't sold on any that I have replaced.

So far: some NOS Mullard EC88 from mid 60's goldpins

a 'cheapo Mullard' 12AT7

one Telefunken ECC81

one Telefunken NOS EC801S from late '60s

two Amperex PQ 'Orange label' 6DJ8 NOS from late '60s goldpins

two Amperex 'Bugle Boy' of dubious origin (can't determine print code)

I would like to try some Telefunken ECC88 CCa which are supposed to be even better. I have yet to try the Brimar or Valvo brands.

Its all harmless fun.

tubes are resilient. all this hullaballoo about their shortcomming is overstated. chewy has tubes in his hammond, never once replaced one, and ive had it for seven and a half years and bashed the hell out of it and moved it 360 degress backwards on its bottom end and in a F150 on the freeway upside down strapped down to a rack and all this shit and the tubes are better than ever. i also have tubes in my 50s model (metal cased) wurlitzer and they ain't gone out none never

I've got a drawer full of 12ax7s, another full of 6v6s, another full of 5u4s, 5v4s and 5y3; a few 6L6s - all of the previous are 1950s and 1960s tubes, and it ain't a myth, they are better - sound better, and play longer (I'm using them in guitar amps) - getting expensive however, thpough there's still a few bargains on Ebay if you keep your eyes open -

Edited by AllenLowe

I've got a drawer full of 12ax7s, another full of 6v6s, another full of 5u4s, 5v4s and 5y3; a few 6L6s - all of the previous are 1950s and 1960s tubes, and it ain't a myth, they are better - sound better, and play longer (I'm using them in guitar amps) - getting expensive however, thpough there's still a few bargains on Ebay if you keep your eyes open -

Yep, I can see it http://www.tubedepot.com/nos-12ax7-telesp.html :blink:

Yep, I can see it http://www.tubedepot.com/nos-12ax7-telesp.html :blink:

Holy smokes! They better sound mind blowin' for that price...

Don't get me wrong, if I could find some at a reasonable price, I'd check it out. But at that rate, I would have a grand into tubes (per guitar amp) in no time...

:blink:

check out Ebay - you can get good used 12ax7s for OTHER brands that sound terrific - National, Sylvania, Raytheon, some GE, even an occasional used RCA; don't worry about that one on that site - find a good ebay dealer with a good tube tester and good feedback; I've bought about 50 12ax7s this way, and I run three different amps with them; same with 6v6s - even 6L6s if you know what you are doing, also 5881s - and 5932s, which are military spec and replace 5881s - also you can get plenty of inexpensive 12au7s, which are good for audio - also 5751s, which are low-gain 12ax7s and great in audio; 12ay7s, however, have gotten a bit too expensive -

check out Ebay - you can get good used 12ax7s for OTHER brands that sound terrific - National, Sylvania, Raytheon, some GE, even an occasional used RCA; don't worry about that one on that site - find a good ebay dealer with a good tube tester and good feedback; I've bought about 50 12ax7s this way, and I run three different amps with them; same with 6v6s - even 6L6s if you know what you are doing, also 5881s - and 5932s, which are military spec and replace 5881s - also you can get plenty of inexpensive 12au7s, which are good for audio - also 5751s, which are low-gain 12ax7s and great in audio; 12ay7s, however, have gotten a bit too expensive -

Thanks Allen!

I have a reissue Fender Bassman with a tube rectifier etc...and it sounds quite good. However, I imagine some old tubes would put it over the top...

I hate to spend too much on gear, but this does sound like a good thing to check out. Especially with all the recording I've got comin up. :)

g

p.s. I should probably check with you before I bid...hate to go up against ya. :)

I am also a tube nut.

About a year ago I replaced the output tubes on my trusty McIntosh MC75's with NOS GE 6550A's. It was a big improvement over the Svetlana "Winged-C"s that I put in when the amps were refurbished.

My preamp is a vintage Marantz 7, with what I believe are the original Telefunken 12AX7's. The day one goes I will cry.

Guitar amp is a Mesa Boogie Mark III, running some generic Russian 6L6's. I've never spent a ton of time trying different tubes in the Boogie, it just seems to sounds great no matter.

The few times I've bought tubes I've had great luck with Richard at Leeds Radio in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. It's tough to get him on the phone, but he answers e-mail promptly, and his warehouse is a trip. Boxes and boxes and boxes of tubes of any variety, and just about any other vintage part you can think of. Reasonable prices also......Leeds Radio.