flying 'dinosaurs'

And I've flown on planes, even this year, where they still have the ashtrays built into the arms of the chairs, when smoking was permitted in the cabin. I believe smoking was banned on airplanes in 1990. Now that's at least an 18 year old plane. :unsure:

Aircraft have quite different lifespans from automobiles, so an 18 year old plane shouldn't be cause for concern, in general. Airlines (at least in this country) are very serious about maintaining them on a regular basis after so many flight hours. They also go through regular meticulous inspections from nose to tail.

The military still has Vietnam era helicopters in the fleet, and there are B-52s in the Air Force that have been in service since 1955.

And I've flown on planes, even this year, where they still have the ashtrays built into the arms of the chairs, when smoking was permitted in the cabin. I believe smoking was banned on airplanes in 1990. Now that's at least an 18 year old plane. :unsure:

Aircraft have quite different lifespans from automobiles, so an 18 year old plane shouldn't be cause for concern, in general. Airlines (at least in this country) are very serious about maintaining them on a regular basis after so many flight hours. They also go through regular meticulous inspections from nose to tail.

The military still has Vietnam era helicopters in the fleet, and there are B-52s in the Air Force that have been in service since 1955.

Luckily, I've never been on a flight that has had a problem. -_-

True, you see some real oldies, B-49, at some of these air shows; and damned if I want to go up in an old biplane, e.g.

Anyhow, not to hijack the thread, but when defense money talk comes around somebody usually points out how "old" the B-52s are, e.g., never mind that they are adequate for doing the job, their life expectancy greatly exceeds autos; got to have latest, it means jobs and votes...MONEY.

Edited by MoGrubb

True, you see some real oldies, B-49, at some of these air shows; and damned if I want to go up in an old biplane, e.g.

Anyhow, not to hijack the thread, but when defense money talk comes around somebody usually points out how "old" the B-52s are, e.g., never mind that they are adequate for doing the job, their life expectancy greatly exceeds autos; got to have latest, it means jobs and votes...MONEY.

with the current and expected costs of energy, less efficient equipment would appear to be a great problem.