"Second Magic City: Sun Ra in Chicago"

ghost of miles

More info about the show, plus a video clip from the late-1950s proto-black-nationalist documentary The Cry of Jazz (featuring music and appearances by members of the Arkestra), at Second Magic City: Sun Ra in Chicago.

"Second Magic City" airs Saturday, Oct. 27 at 11:05 p.m. EST on WFIU and at 9 p.m. Central Time on WNIN-Evansville. It will also air Sunday evening at 10 p.m. EST on Michigan's Blue Lake Public Radio. The program will be posted for online listening Monday morning in the Night Lights archives.

Next week: a live fund-drive broadcast from WFIU... WNIN and Blue Lake will carry a repeat ("Charles Tolliver on Strata East") instead.

Edited by ghost of miles

Guest Bill Barton

These look like great programs! Damn, I only wish that our regional NPR affiliates in the Puget Sound had the good taste to stretch as far as Sun Ra and Charles Tolliver.

Guest Bill Barton

These look like great programs! Damn, I only wish that our regional NPR affiliates in the Puget Sound had the good taste to stretch as far as Sun Ra and Charles Tolliver.

Shouldn't that be your mission?

I do a show at a community radio station not an NPR station. I'm one volunteer among scores. And if you've seen my playlists or heard the program you'll know that my show indeed tends to focus on the more adventurous and avant garde "fringes" of the music.

The NPR affiliate that programs jazz in this region is KPLU in Tacoma, radio home of Jim Wilke (Jazz After Hours and Jazz Northwest) and Ken Wiley (The Art of Jazz). Those weekend programs are about the only ones on the station that are not pre-digested, consultant-driven, lowest-common-denominator jazz. You're not likely to hear The Art Ensemble of Chicago (too weird), Duke Ellington (too old), Charlie Parker (too old) or John Coltrane (too old and too noisy) on any NPR affiliate these days. So, props to ghost of miles, Lazaro and a few others for keeping the fires burning.

You know, this subject - along with some of the issues brought up over on Lazaro's playlist thread - deserves a thread of its own. After the smoke clears from the very busy two weeks just winding down I'll start one...

I do a show at a community radio station not an NPR station. I'm one volunteer among scores. And if you've seen my playlists or heard the program you'll know that my show indeed tends to focus on the more adventurous and avant garde "fringes" of the music.

Nomatter, it should still be your mission. :rolleyes:

Guest Bill Barton

Nomatter, it should still be your mission. :rolleyes:

It is.

"Second Magic City" is now archived.

Bill, I'm lucky to enjoy the latitude that WFIU has given me with this show. On our station it airs at a fairly obscure time--11 p.m. on Saturdays--but management basically trusts the DJs' choices here. With Bloomington and the IU School of Music, we already have a bit of a built-in audience for better-than-lowest-common-denominator programming. Plus from the start we wanted to make Night Lights a show with Internet appeal. Basically, though, the program is simply a reflection of my tastes and interests...hopefully done in a way that makes the music enjoyable for others as well. The only advice I've ever been given is not to make it too "academic." I still have a lot of room for improvement/growth...and I'd still like to get the program on more stations. Grateful to be on Blue Lake, especially with Lazaro's stellar shows.

I ordered that "Cry of Jazz" DVD from Atavistic, btw. Curious to see the whole film.

Patrick, yes, it's up now--apologies for the delay. I think most of the Evidence titles are still in print or obtainable...as are the Delmarks (which cover sessions originally produced for Tom Wilson's Transition label). The live date is definitely still available on Atavistic, but I'd be inclined to go for some of the titles like JAZZ IN SILHOUETTE, SUPERSONIC JAZZ, and SOUND OF JOY first.

Edited by ghost of miles

• 11 months later...
  • 5 years later...