Halloween Music - What Are You Spinning?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Vampyros Lesbos - Hübler & Schwab

R-836853-1352617954-1873.jpeg.jpg

The British Channel 4 used to show European art house cinema every Friday evening in the late nineties. Sometimes it was more art house, and other times it was perhaps less so. Whether it was Fellini or Kieslowski, they all had lengthy introductions by high minded film critic Mark Kermode.

Looking back, it is hard to tell what caused me, a 16 year old boy, to stay up late in order to watch this obscure classic of Turkish cinema (perhaps an interest in Anatolian folklore, or a love of the Cyclades and its unique architecture? Maybe just a dedication to and love of pure cinema?), but Kermode’s 20 minute introduction, which focused primarily on the film’s bold exploration of themes of alienation and subversive deployment of mise en scene, really stuck with me as an avantgarde classic in its own right.

Edited by Rabshakeh

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

The British Channel 4 used to show European art house cinema every Friday evening in the late nineties. Sometimes it was more art house, and other times it was perhaps less so. Whether it was Fellini or Kieslowski, they all had lengthy introductions by high minded film critic Mark Kermode.

Looking back, it is hard to tell what caused me, a 16 year old boy, to stay up late in order to watch this obscure classic of Turkish cinema (perhaps an interest in Anatolian folklore, or a love of the Cyclades and its unique architecture? Maybe just a dedication to and love of pure cinema?), but Kermode’s 20 minute introduction, which focused primarily on the film’s bold exploration of themes of alienation and subversive deployment of mise en scene, really stuck with me as an avantgarde classic in its own right.

Jes Franco's best films are masterpieces of horror/sexploitation.  The album I posted above is actually a compilation of Hübler/Schwab music from Franco films, including Vampyros and She Killed in Ecstasy.  

Also, while Vampyros was filmed in Turkey, it is actually a West German/Spanish production.  (Franco was Spanish.)

The Hübler/Schwab music is fantastic.

3 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Jes Franco's best films are masterpieces of horror/sexploitation.  The album I posted above is actually a compilation of Hübler/Schwab music from Franco films, including Vampyros and She Killed in Ecstasy.  

Also, while Vampyros was filmed in Turkey, it is actually a West German/Spanish production.  (Franco was Spanish.)

Hmm. Yes.

I remember being broadly disappointed. The film perhaps didn't fulfill my, at the time, fairly specific, criteria.

19 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Hmm. Yes.

I remember being broadly disappointed. The film perhaps didn't fulfill my, at the time, fairly specific, criteria.

Well, I use the word "masterpieces" only half-seriously, but I can say that Jes Franco films are highly regarded within the Euro cult/exploitation film genre, which is a genre that I am into.  

Did you check out that track that I posted? 

2 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Well, I use the word "masterpieces" only half-seriously, but I can say that Jes Franco films are highly regarded within the Euro cult/exploitation film genre, which is a genre that I am into.  

Did you check out that track that I posted? 

I'm not sure how highbrow my criteria were to tell the truth.

The tracks great.

I assume I'm in the virtual presence of a Fabio Frizzi fan...