I can no longer trust new USA vinyl production....

wolff

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, six string. I just finished reading the discussion re Hoffman on the Wikipedia site--very interesting. I had noticed how eager beaver some of the moderators are at the SH forum, and how they clearly are over protective. There are some absolutely ludicrous taboos over there. The dispute gives one a fascinating glimpse into the inner workings of Wikipedia. It also told me things I had not previously heard about SH--in fact, like T the K, I had never heard of Hoffman until I came across his forum, and I spent years in this business.

I knew the mods there were whack, but not this bad.

Well, yes, they are that bad.

As for the vinyl, my limited experience with RTI has been exceptional. I dunno - maybe a bad batch? I visited the place once, took the tour, and saw first hand the pressing process and QA. Also saw huge vats of the top quality vinyl they usually use - which leads me to think these defects are an aberation. Still, I agree that spending $30 or more for shitty vinyl is a bad thing.

Oh, btw, "cunt" is generally considered a pretty offensive word.

Yes, bad word...but...post, threads deleted. At this point I could give a shit. I beleive he knew!!!!

Not really complicated....we were lied to! I've been buying from Hoffman and RTI since day ONE!!! And the MF's lied to me!!!!

the point here is Hoffman's hypocrisy - because he often criticizes specific work that is done, bad mastering, bad companies, bad pressings - but apparently this is not to be done if he has a direct financial interest - cowardice andd hypocrisy of the worst kind -

and if he had threatened to follow my work around the internet I would have filed a formal complaint with some agency; this is a kind of harrassment -

Thank you...spot on!!! Big problem at RTI that was pushed off on the a false culprit...Classic!

I wonder why some people who are very critical about the Hoffman forum on this board are posting over there as if nothing's wrong...

Because an inkling of critique will most likely get you banned and the board is good except for that factor.

Maybe, but I find it quite hypocritical.

Edit: I've PMed quite a few critical notes to some of the moderators on the Hoffman forum and I've never had problems. I always got replies that were reasonable, even though I didn't agree with some of them.

Edited by J.A.W.

How so? I have crossed many an unpaved road (in Iceland) and avoided the mud puddles. I did not enjoy reaching the other side any less because of that, but I did hope that the road would eventually be paved.

What I meant was that I find posting criticism on other forums that have nothing to do with the forum one is critical about and at the same time posting on that forum as if nothing's wrong hypocritical. Just my view.

Edited by J.A.W.

J.A.W.: "I've PMed quite a few critical notes to some of the moderators on the Hoffman forum and I've never had problems."

Why did you PM your critique? Could it be because you knew they'd ban you if you aired their dirty laundry? Isn't it aversion to criticism that makes the SH monitors repeatedly delete what appears to be the truth from the Wikipedia Hoffman listing?

J.A.W.: "I've PMed quite a few critical notes to some of the moderators on the Hoffman forum and I've never had problems."

Why did you PM your critique? Could it be because you knew they'd ban you if you aired their dirty laundry? Isn't it aversion to criticism that makes the SH monitors repeatedly delete what appears to be the truth from the Wikipedia Hoffman listing?

I PMed my criticism because that's one of the forum rules over there.

I wonder why some people who are very critical about the Hoffman forum on this board are posting over there as if nothing's wrong...

Maybe you can pm a moderator with your concern, but you can't talk about it on the board for all to see, so how can you post on that board without it looking like nothing is wrong. If you try, your post will either be edited or deleted. It's happened to me several times, so I give up. Even my pm conversation with Steve wasn't very helpful or educational. He never really answered my questions and told me in a cryptic way that he couldn't respond due to job security. Here I was thinking that someone who actually works with master tapes would be the expert and could provide me with simple generic answers about them. He basically backed his moderators actions up by saying they were just trying to protect him. It appeared to me that he thought I was after him on a personal level, even though I kept saying that I was interested in a few "facts" about master tape life span that he was alluding to. I will never believe that magnetic tape has an infinite life span as he and some of his gorts believe. Nothing lasts forever and to propose such an idea as fact is just ludicrous.

Edited by six string

Maybe you can pm a moderator with your concern, but you can't talk about it on the board for all to see, so how can you post on that board without it looking like nothing is wrong. If you try, your post will either be edited or deleted. It's happened to me several times, so I give up. Even my pm converstaion with Steve wasn't very helpful or educational. He never really answered my questions and told me in a cryptic way that he couldn't respond due to job security. Here I was thinking that someone who actually works with master tapes would be the expert and could provide me with simple generic answers about them. He basically backed his moderators actions up by saying they were just trying to protect him. It appeared to me that he thought I was after him on a personal level, even though I kept saying that I was interested in a few "facts" about master tape life span that he was alluding to. I will never believe that magnetic tape has an infinite life span as he and some of his gorts believe. Nothing lasts forever and to propose such an idea as fact is just ludicrous.

Simple - if you don't like the forum's rules (such as sending PMs to moderators instead of airing criticism publicly) and/or the way things are handled/moderated, don't post.

Edit: I've had enough of this and I'm out of here.

Edited by J.A.W.

Maybe you can pm a moderator with your concern, but you can't talk about it on the board for all to see, so how can you post on that board without it looking like nothing is wrong. If you try, your post will either be edited or deleted. It's happened to me several times, so I give up. Even my pm converstaion with Steve wasn't very helpful or educational. He never really answered my questions and told me in a cryptic way that he couldn't respond due to job security. Here I was thinking that someone who actually works with master tapes would be the expert and could provide me with simple generic answers about them. He basically backed his moderators actions up by saying they were just trying to protect him. It appeared to me that he thought I was after him on a personal level, even though I kept saying that I was interested in a few "facts" about master tape life span that he was alluding to. I will never believe that magnetic tape has an infinite life span as he and some of his gorts believe. Nothing lasts forever and to propose such an idea as fact is just ludicrous.

Simple - if you don't like the forum's rules (such as sending PMs to moderators instead of airing criticism publicly) and/or the way things are handled/moderated, don't post.

I was just responding to this. I wonder why some people who are very critical about the Hoffman forum on this board are posting over there as if nothing's wrong...

If you look at my post count for the amount of time I've been on the board, you'll see I don't post very much there anyway.

I'll be posting even less from now on and may stop going there at all. I apologize if I hit a nerve.

I was just responding to this. I wonder why some people who are very critical about the Hoffman forum on this board are posting over there as if nothing's wrong...

If you look at my post count for the amount of time I've been on the board, you'll see I don't post very much there anyway.

I'll be posting even less from now on and may stop going there at all. I apologize if I hit a nerve.

No need to apologize, it wasn't directed at you specifically.

• 2 weeks later...

An update:

I was told by Acoustic Sounds that Groovy (disc 2) is defective (warble piano) and will be re-pressed in the next several months.

1128 - Things Are Getting Better (disc 2) - warble piano defect - Acoustic Sounds missed it on the Test Pressings. Nothing they can do about - no repressings.

Also 9438 - Caravan and 7123 - Traneing In - have noisy vinyl and is audible within the last 30 seconds - they told me that there is nothing they can do about it - no repressings.

Also 7010 - Poll Winners and 2310-737 - Art Tatum - vinyl scratched up. At least this is fixable.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthre...0957&page=4