I can no longer trust new USA vinyl production....

wolff

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For someone like me who is only just dipping his toes back into the vinyl world, this brings back many horrible memories and reminds why I was in heaven when they introduced the CD.

Kevin

Hang on in there with the vinyl. Some 'snap crackle and pop' is a fact of life, although totally agree that gouges are a no-no. The right LP on the right system is nirvana - trust me :)

I've added a powered phono stage this week which raises things to another level and brings out an incredible richness in the sound. To get that on CD (not sure it's possible) would likely cost a King's ransom. :o

I dipped my toe in 4 years ago. 500 LPs later I have no regrets. I have bought very few new pressings but I'm constantly amazed by the quality of LPs that can be picked up pretty inexpensively. Whilst I like LP sound CD I really see little justification for paying for vanity products either new or used.

Agree with the above. I was considering "splurging" on a few of my favorite titles, but this latest debacle has made me even more cautious.

Same here. Really, I've bought very few new records recently that I've been pleased with. It's been to the point where I'm pretty much through with anything I can't inspect myself before purchasing.

I'll have to hop over to Hoffman's and see that thread. I'm sure it'll be enough to put me off these issues entirely.

(Oh, and I'm not too shocked folks over there purchased subscriptions. There seem to be a lot of people there who will buy anything SH touches, even if they'd never buy a jazz record otherwise. It'd be interesting to see the breakdown on SH forum posters vs. people who don't know anything about the place among the subscribers.)

EDIT: good lord, those folks over there are way too forgiving (or is it delusional?) Paying to send these things back and expecting to have to do it more later in the series? Saying you'd pay extra to have some QC performed which should have been done in the first place? WTF? Man, if I'm spending $9 on a Scorpio repressing, I'm not going to be too concerned if it's slightly warped or the cover is crunched on the corner. But for $50, that sucker better be as close to flawless as humanly possible. Sheesh, even back in the 80s I can only think of one time I took a record back for being a bad pressing. Even then, it was $7 not $50.

Edited by Captain Wrong

I agree Cap'n. When one has records that are 50 years old that has fewer pops and clicks and covers without flaws, you have to ask the question what am I paying $50.00 for?

There was one guy on the Hoffman board that was complaining about the music on Capuchin Swing! Whether you like it or not is one thing, but dropping $50.00 on a record that you know nothing about blows my mind. I guess I'm tighter with my record money, but sheesh. I would never spend that kind of dosh without knowing what I was getting.

I was surprised at the number of people on the Hoffman board that subscribed to the series.

A load of 'my dick's bigger than yours' stuff going on at that board - as in 'my subscription number is lower than yours'. Jeez..

A while back I did a mean thing on the board. Under the thread asking about subscription numbers I said I had a number that was the same as someone else who had recently signed up but hadn't received any records yet. I think it freaked him out a little. I did it to underscore the rediculousness of such dick measuring but I probably shouldn't have done it. I ignored his questions regarding my number (I'm not a subscriber) too which probably caused him to lose a little sleep.

Edited by six string

There was one guy on the Hoffman board that was complaining about the music on Capuchin Swing! Whether you like it or not is one thing, but dropping $50.00 on a record that you know nothing about blows my mind. I guess I'm tighter with my record money, but sheesh. I would never spend that kind of dosh without knowing what I was getting.

I saw that too. IIRC, he'd never even heard Jackie before! (I think later he kind of blurred this issue when people were reading him the riot act over his comments.) I'm sorry but yeah, $50 is way out of my "leap of faith" jumping distance. Never mind the fact that there are people there with NO knowledge of jazz at all who are in for the entire subscription at, what, $1250??? Insanity!

Reading that board at times makes me want to sell off my stereo, get an iPod dock boombox and be done with it. :rsmile:

Oh and the same number prank, heheh.

Edited by Captain Wrong

A while back I did a mean thing on the board. Under the thread asking about subscription numbers I said I had a number that was the same as someone else who had recently signed up but hadn't received any records yet. I think it freaked it out a little. I did it to underscore the rediculousness of such dick measuring but I probably shouldn't have done it. I ignored his questions regarding my number (I'm not a subscriber) too which probably caused him to lose a little sleep.

Well since most of the members here are also over there.......and your screen name is the same at both locations.....I bet that person is here tracking your every move :ph34r: ...waiting for the right opportunity to pounce and deface your favorite Lexington Ave labels with a wild combination of bold zig-zagging Magenta, Cerulean & Neon Carrot crayon streaks! :o

A while back I did a mean thing on the board. Under the thread asking about subscription numbers I said I had a number that was the same as someone else who had recently signed up but hadn't received any records yet. I think it freaked it out a little. I did it to underscore the rediculousness of such dick measuring but I probably shouldn't have done it. I ignored his questions regarding my number (I'm not a subscriber) too which probably caused him to lose a little sleep.

Well since most of the members here are also over there.......and your screen name is the same at both locations.....I bet that person is here tracking your every move :ph34r: ...waiting for the right opportunity to pounce and deface your favorite Lexington Ave labels with a wild combination of bold zig-zagging Magenta, Cerulean & Neon Carrot crayon streaks! :o

Nooooooooo!!!!!!! :o:lol:

Seriously, is there anyone on this board that is obsessing over his and other's subscription number? I don't know what's more lame, obsessing over your number or asking Joe Harley every other day, when's the next batch coming out?

Edited by six string

I was surprised at the number of people on the Hoffman board that subscribed to the series.

A load of 'my dick's bigger than yours' stuff going on at that board - as in 'my subscription number is lower than yours'. Jeez..

A while back I did a mean thing on the board. Under the thread asking about subscription numbers I said I had a number that was the same as someone else who had recently signed up but hadn't received any records yet. I think it freaked him out a little. I did it to underscore the rediculousness of such dick measuring but I probably shouldn't have done it. I ignored his questions regarding my number (I'm not a subscriber) too which probably caused him to lose a little sleep.

:lol:

It goes from bad to worse on the Hoffman forums. Someone over there is posting about off-centre spindle holes. :blink:

Didn't see that. Dang. And people are still psyched about this series???

Of course it is cracking me up that people are starting "should I buy album x or y?" polls. Part of me wants to be happy people are getting into jazz, but the realist in me knows they're not getting into jazz at all. They're only buying these things to satisfy a collecting fetish and/or because these feature Steve Hoffman's magic "breath of life." OTOH, if people are getting what they're asking for the records from the Fantasy 45rpm series, I guess it's a safe investment anyway.

This whole thing just makes me chuckle.

It's not about listening, it's about owning said albums. There was a thread somewhere unrelated to jazz where a poster was ticked off because people back in the day played their Beatle albums to death, so collectors like him today are left with worn out lps to purchase used. Yeah, what were those fans thinking? Don't play the music, just put it on a shelf and look at it. That's what it's really for. :huh::wacko: