Miles - Get Up With It or Panthlassa

GARussell

Get Up With It or Panthlassa  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm pretty sure that I read in the On the Corner box thread that it includes tracks from Get Up With It. I was planning to buy the On the Corner box when BMG/Your Music got it, but it now appears that that is not going to happen. All of this talk has me in the mood to hear some of it, but my current finances prevent me from considering buying the box.

It so happens that I have a couple of Miles albums that I haven't opened yet - Get Up With It and Panthalassa. So I'm in the mood to hear one of them.

I'm pretty sure that I have read that Panthalassa includes tracks from Get Up With It remixed. Is that right?

So for those of you who have heard them both, which do you recommend I hear first? I'll wait a year to open the other. Is the Panthalassa remix an improvement? Would I appreciate Panthalassa more if I first became familiar with Get Up With It?

Thanks for your input!

Panthalassa has some good remixes of "Get Up With It" tunes. But Laswell doesn't get the In a Silent Way tracks, so go to the original first. Not one of Miles' best overall (poor sounding and some filler), but "He Loved Him Madly" is an incredible track.

I think Laswell's mix of "Rated X" is very worthy and in some respects superior to the original.

Guy

Panthalassa has some good remixes of "Get Up With It" tunes. But Laswell doesn't get the In a Silent Way tracks, so go to the original first. Not one of Miles' best overall (poor sounding and some filler), but "He Loved Him Madly" is an incredible track.

I think Laswell's mix of "Rated X" is very worthy and in some respects superior to the original.

Guy

I agree. I like what Laswell does with "Rated X," "Billy Preston," and "He Loved Him Madly."

I like what Laswell does with "Rated X," "Billy Preston," and "He Loved Him Madly."

I think that whole Panthalassa Laswell disc totally kicks ass.

Honestly, as an album, I think it hangs together much better than Get Up With It.

If Laswell sequenced a number of other similar Miles Discs (from multiple, unrelated sessions), with edits and/or remixes (and re-arrangements of material) like Panthalassa -- eventually I'd probably pick 'em all up (at used prices, of course).

Well, ok, but I'm not sure that approching music "from back to front" is necessarily a good thing in all cases.

I mean, how far back is back enough, and will you ever have time to get caught up to now?

Iused to think thatthat was the way to go, but now....I'm not so sure. Something to be said for being in the now and discovering the past as the opportunity presents itself as opposed to the other way 'round.

But then again, we're talking a 30+ year old album versus an almost 10 year old one, so it's all relative. :g