Luigi Nono

7/4

This Glenlivet is doing me right, but it's making it hard to remember things.

I have the Edition RZ LP with "A Carlo Scarpa" (think it's contrabass clarinet and electronics??), very nice work. Also a little of his earlier stuff on a Time LP.

A good friend of mine is a Nono freak, though I think I've tried to turn him onto more jazz than he has with expanding my Nono vocabulary. When I return home this weekend, I'll refresh my memory on some deep pieces by this heavy composer.

This Glenlivet is doing me right, but it's making it hard to remember things.

I have the Edition RZ LP with "A Carlo Scarpa" (think it's contrabass clarinet and electronics??), very nice work. Also a little of his earlier stuff on a Time LP.

A good friend of mine is a Nono freak, though I think I've tried to turn him onto more jazz than he has with expanding my Nono vocabulary. When I return home this weekend, I'll refresh my memory on some deep pieces by this heavy composer.

Let me know what it sounds like.

I like what I've heard of the late material with live electronics, but my favorite piece is probably como una ola de fuerza y luz, which is really fiery and intense. I haven't heard the "late" operas like Prometeo, so can't comment there.

Oddly, I never really got into two of Nono's most famous pieces, Fragmente-stille: an Diotima for string quartet and ...Sofferte onde serene... for piano and tape, even though I'm a big quartet and solo piano enthusiast.

For composers influenced by Nono, I'd recommend Sciarrino (with some qualifications) and Lachenmann (more strongly), although both are somewhat weird...

Lachenmann

which one do you recommend?

schreiben, concertini and chamber music i can all get for a nice price

My favorite is the Arditti disc with the quartets Reigen seliger Geister and Tanzsuite mit Deutschlandlied (the latter has devastating black humor) on Montaigne, although I fear it's OOP. Also the col legno disc with Gran Torso (quartet) and Salut für Caudwell (2 guitars), which may have been reissued on a budget label. I've only heard Mouvement...live, but that'd also be worth getting. I haven't heard the Match Girl opera, so can't comment.

From what you've mentioned, I'd try the chamber music disc if it has, say, Allegro Sostenuto and/or some solo piano music.

Well, for a famous short piece that's abrasive and intense, look around for a recording of Alexander Mosolov's Zavod' (Iron Foundry), composed in 1927... ;)

More obscure, but really twisted and even terrifying is Miloslav Kabelac's bizarre Symphony #8 Antiphons for soprano, two mixed choirs, percussion ensemble and organ. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it's available apart from an oop Praga CD (which I got as a cutout years ago...).

Edited by T.D.