Who's into house?

Shrdlu

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just having a read through this again today! The contributions have been outstanding, and I'm real glad that I started the thread.

My latest recommendation is "Musica Batida Sol", by Rez, aka Ernst Berlin. You can get it here, if you click on the title and then do a CTRL S to download it:

http://www.trugroovez.com/forums/rez-compl...alog-t5120.html

This is a fantastic Latino house set, very tasty. I was delighted to find that a version of "Corcovado" is included in the mix - hardly what you might expect to find. I really don't see why a jazz or Latino fan could dislike this set.

Someone mentioned the Dutch mixer, Tiesto. He is fantastic, and a big draw at Ibiza during the summer.

I'm still enjoying the house clubs, and am on the point of DJ-ing it now, as well as some funky jazz. The predominant variety is clearly electro/house. It is fun to keep the beat going seamlessly on a pair of Pioneer CDJ 1000 decks with a Pioneer DJM 800 mixer. Favorite BPM is in the range 128-132, though slower can be quite funky.

Although you DO get your share of hormonal, substance-influenced people in the clubs, there are a number of discriminating listeners in some places, and you get very little pop there. For the record, I don't drink alcohol or drop E's or other pills, lol.

Although you DO get your share of hormonal, substance-influenced people in the clubs, there are a number of discriminating listeners in some places...

That's the thing that continues to fascinate me about the best of this stuff, how, besides being totally solid for inducing joyous celebrationalism, it does hold up to close, careful, analytical listening. The "paradigm" is totally different than for other musics, but once one accepts that (if one chooses to), there is so much detail to glom onto, so many conscious choices being made. Plus, the flow of a nonstop mix is subject to so many possibilities that to hear each DJs take on how to "put it all together" is consistently intriguing. Infinite possibilities within a seemingly fixed format...

Fascinating, engrossing music for me, whether used for intellectual, physical, or spiritual interfacing.

I thought so!

Here's another suggestion...

Open/download this thing here: http://www.routesinrhythm.com/music/route225.m4a & move it on up to the 11:30-ish mark. There you'll start getting into:

Kenny Bobien

Love Won't Give Up

Louis Benedetti Remix

Just let that groove, that tempo, that groove, that, pocket, that sound, that...thing have its way with you for about eight minutes, let it lift you off the ground and out of the gravity of the mundane into a zone where everything is floating and connected and all moving as one in the rhythm of the life creation dance.

It's a good thing.

Edited by JSngry

Well, that would be one way to look at it, wouldn't it now... :g

Fortunately, my prostate is fine, and even more fortunately I still don't care much for the Mizells. It might interest you to know, though, that I did dig Roy Ayers back in the day (when I was alive and..."active"), as I did Crown Heights Affair & Silver Connection. Dug them at the same time I was digging Arista Braxton & a whole bunch of "other" musics. I spent many a night listening to non-stop disco radio (the good stuff too, not the Top 40 crap) on on my way from kinda "out" jam sessions to a six-night-a-week salsa gig. And when that going was over, no telling what I'd listen to on the way home, or after I got home, either alone or..."accompanied". It could (and was) have been anything.

Except opera...

The notion that "older" people somehow can't relate to a good dance groove is pretty naive, really. If I ever reach the point where that doesn't happen naturally, then I want it to be time for me to die. I think a lot of "older" people breathe a sigh of relief because it's finally the time of life where it's "ok" for them to not feel what they never felt as a time when they "should" have felt it. Good for them, I say. It's finally time for them to accept their deadness of spirit as socially correct. Why not just go ahead and finish the job all the way then, ok? Bets the hell out of holding high office...

As for the accoutrements of the "club scene", hey, whatever. If we wanna play that game, then Ornette should still be limited to houses both road & whore, dig? The good thing about now being "older" is that now I can more fully separate "music" from "trappings". I don't need to hear MAW in a club to get the innate musicality present in their work. If anything, I get it better by not being in a club.Fortunately, once music gets made, it's fair game for any use in any environ, and if I find it useful for girding for ongoing spiritual warfare, that is every bit as valid as using it to stay up all night to get one's nasty on. And it's as valid for doing those two things as it is anything else. All music, all music, "holds an intrigue and depth which" we create ourself. Don't ever think it otherwise.

Remember when jazz used to really swing? Well, if you're of a certain age, probably not, but it's there on the records. I caught the tail end of it myself, and know good and damn well, that their is a certain "dance impulse" that one either has or doesn't, feels or doesn't, and that it comes out no matter what type of music is on the (turn)table. Cecil Taylor has it (and copiously), Matthew Shipp knows it exists but isn't always sure if he has it (or where), & Alexander von Schlippenbach might have it, but if he does, it's in a parallel universe from the one in which I live, and as such, the only way I could know for sure would be if worlds collide, which, as the movie taught us, is not something to be hoped for.

We all have choices to make along the way, and for me, few are more critical or life-defining than the choice made when one has a chance to define or be defined. If we let "trappings" create definition, then we allow ourselves to be a part of the resultant definitions, and ultimately we allow ourselves to be defined, thereby forfeiting any and all claims to legitimate self-definition . I'm 52, reasonably jazz savvy (but gee, where did all those Beatles & JB 45s in my closet come from?), house music is mostly found in environs of mindless hedonistic pursuit, therefore the music itself should be beneath my dignity & if I find it otherwise, it is because I am having "identity" issues and any real musical substance I find is entirely a product of my imagination.

Nicely pre-defined dynamic, and fuck that in no uncertain terms. Fuck all this volunteered slavery shit in each and every damn form in which it presents itself, and if you can't tell where it is until it's too late, don't blame me. If you were born with your freedoms inside you & don't use 'em when you get a chance, hey. Like or don't like, pursue or don't pursue, think about it or don't think about, just make sure you're doing what you do - and that includes engaging as well as avoiding - because of you, not because of "trappings". Define, don't be defined.

Now here, take this and have some fun with it: http://www.brokenbeatradio.com/sounds/bbradio-070207.mp3

Edited by JSngry

I'm 52, reasonably jazz savvy (but gee, where did all those Beatles & JB 45s in my closet come from?), house music is mostly found in environs of mindless hedonistic pursuit, therefore the music itself should be beneath my dignity & if I find it otherwise, it is because I am having "identity" issues and any real musical substance I find is entirely a product of my imagination.

It may not be a product of your imagination , but it is nonetheless a subjective projection as per your, "All music, all music, "holds an intrigue and depth which" we create ourself." Fair enough , but doesn't such a subjectivism render your use of the expression "real musical substance" meaningless inasmuch as it implicitly references an objectivist distinction ?

Define, don't be defined.

An epigram worryingly reminiscent of the kind of commodified dissent peddled by the likes of Nike.....

I'm 52, reasonably jazz savvy (but gee, where did all those Beatles & JB 45s in my closet come from?), house music is mostly found in environs of mindless hedonistic pursuit, therefore the music itself should be beneath my dignity & if I find it otherwise, it is because I am having "identity" issues and any real musical substance I find is entirely a product of my imagination.

It may not be a product of your imagination , but it is nonetheless a subjective projection as per your, "All music, all music, "holds an intrigue and depth which" we create ourself." Fair enough , but doesn't such a subjectivism render your use of the expression "real musical substance" meaningless inasmuch as it implicitly references an objectivist distinction ?

No, it just continues to play the game with the same cards rather than changing the deck. Or vice-versa. One or the other, you tell me, I'm sitting here in my drawers waiting for LTB to get outta the shower...

Define, don't be defined.

An epigram worryingly reminiscent of the kind of commodified dissent peddled by the likes of Nike.....

What makes something worthy of commoditization, after all, is it's underlying usefulness. Worry when I start running third world sweatshops & start trying to pimp ok-at-best athletic footwear. Until then... :g

And oh by the way, I fully stipulate that whatever I say here that is not proffered as historical fact is to me nothing more than my subjective interpretation of personally processed stimuli.

To think otherwise would be kinda wack, doncha' think?

Y'all seem to be listening to it "as is" for "right now", or even worse, "used to be".

I'm so not listening to it like that.

This is just the beginning (or could/should be), unless nobody has any imagination, which I'm beginning to think just might be the case all over the world, in which case, hey, color me Mayan.

Everybody's dead or sounding like it. Time to get out of (and start thinking outside of) the box (i.e. coffin).

If you keep your history in front of you (instead of behind you) all the damn time, is it really history?

Let me know how chasing the Inevitable Always There goes, ok?

... i am also saying a lot of it is turning the shuffle setting on the virtual drum machine and not louis bendini making a soulful decision, imo...

And that is the last part of that record that I'm paying attention to. I'm paying attention to the EQ-ing of the bass, the delay on the vocals, the dynamics of the relative layering of the parts into the overall sound, everything BUT the fucking drum machine beat, which is still playing what it plays better than a "real" drummer could, just as a real drummer can play what he/she plays better than a drum machine can, I'm listening to the tempo and where the vocals lay inside it, I'm listening to Kenny Bobien's phrasing and shading of the lyrics, I'm listening to all kinds of other shit than the goddamned drum machine.

It's not like it's not there to listen to...

the truth! ^^^ so edc ain't seeking to belittle ya'll's in-the-moment attention, pleasure...

"In the moment" is only good for in the moment.

It was long ago established that everything is everywhere all the time, you just have to know where not to look for it, but to think that that's as far as it goes is kind of...weak.

We need popular music, we need pop music, we need background rhythms for forward motions, and we need to stop thinking in place and start being in places. Because that's where the world is, and we DO want to be in the world, don't we, if the world is a good place to be, and if it ain't maybe it's not all the world's fault, dig? Maybe we all be staying in the wrong part of it & thinking that's the only place, when it's really the only place to not stay in.

So yeah, we got all this...improv, free music, etc/whatever that's been sitting on the new so long now that it ain't new no more. Sitting on it and now it's sitting still. Shit needs to move, & where you need to go to move that's any better than Move Music? Especially Move Music that seems to intuitively glom the allness of the time/space "discoveries" of people who are already string to die form old age, that's how "new" it is, and yet it still wigs people out, maybe because it ain't come on down to Foot & Ass Level just yet.

It's a whole thing, it is (or could/should be), and dammit all to hell that I'm not 25 years younger, 100 pounds lighter, and two kids less stressed, becuas maybe then I could tackle it head on rather than just sitting here whining about it, maybe I could show y'all what I mean rather than just "talk" about it. But I'm not, and I can't, and as tired as it must be to read, it's that tired to live too.

But damn it all to hell, it is so not about the "trappings", or the "machines", or the "settings" or anything like that.

The problem with Being Here Now is not that it's always now, it's that it's always here. That ain't real, because there ain't no here other than everywhere, and if you're just "here" now, you're over before you begin. Forget about The Eternal Now because you're gonna get that whether you want it or not, how about The Eternal Everywhere? Yeah, that's more like it. But to get around in there, you best be able to dance, because the opportunities to stumble are in all likelihood plentiful. You want your feet on the ground, but MOVING, dig? Always moving, and if no matter where you go, there you are, then does it not follow that no matter where you are, there you GO? And keep your head to the sky, no sense in looking down, not unless your feet can't get it w/o some outside help, in which case what makes you think that your head is any further along?

It so AIN'T about the settings on the drum machine....

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...