Blue Note Reissues for 2008...

mgraham333

It's a little unusual not to know at least something about the upcoming reissues in the RVG or Connoisseur series. Does anyone have any information they can share?

From Kevin later in the thread:

March 11 RVGs

Jimmy Smith – Live At The Baby Grand V. 1

Jimmy Smith – Live At The Baby Grand V. 2

Ike Quebec – Blue And Sentimental

Jutta Hipp With Zoot Sims

Here Comes Louis Smith

Stanley Turrentine – Look Out!

Freddie Redd – Shades Of Redd

Horace Silver – Further Explorations

Lou Donaldson – Here ‘Tis

Wayne Shorter – The Soothsayer

May 13 Connoisseurs

Stanley Turrentine – Return Of The Prodigal Son (the June 23 & July 28, 1967 sessions)

Louis Smith – Smithville (first time in stereo with two bonus tracks)

Bobby Hutcherson – Head On (includes three previously unissued tracks)

Art Farmer – Brass Shout (includes Aztec Suite)

Dizzy Gillespie & James Moody with Gil Fuller & The Monterey Jazz Festival Orchestra (includes Moody's Night Flight album)

Edited by mgraham333

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we start a wish list for the 2008 conniosseur series?

Sam Rivers: A New Conception

Larry Young: Contrasts and/or Of Heaven and Earth

Tyrone Washington: Natural Essence

Jackie McLean: Hipnosis (and maybe include a session supposedly cut in '68, but rejected because McLean didn't like Norman Connor's drumming???)

Edited by Holy Ghost

As far as wish-lists go, I absolutely agree with Contrasts and Natural Essence (especially with all or most of "The Trainwreck" as bonus material).

...and also that unreleased McLean session (which also has Tyrone Washington on it, and Woody Shaw too!! - if I remember right). I don't care how bad that drummer was (or how bad Jackie thought he was), I would really like to have some reevaluation of the value of that session (Note to Chuck: I didn't say we have the "right" to hear it -- but rather, I think it deserves to be reevaluated for possible release).

It can't be any 'worse' than that one Andrew Hill session with Woody and Sam Rivers (Hill Select, disc #1, the first session on that disc) -- which is sloppy during most of the heads, but absolutely kicks ass in terms of the energy and fire in the solos. That crazy Hill/Shaw/Rivers session is probably one of my all-time "top-20" Blue Note dates, seriously!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

No news is not good news in this regard... others here might have more solid knowledge to back their speculation, but I'll be happily surprised to hear of anything in the pipeline.

Me too. But I have the feeling that now that they've released Davis Cup and Flight To Jordan as RVG's the end times are upon us.

Can we start a wish list for the 2008 conniosseur series?

Sam Rivers: A New Conception

Larry Young: Contrasts and/or Of Heaven and Earth

Tyrone Washington: Natural Essence

Jackie McLean: Hipnosis (and maybe include a session supposedly cut in '68, but rejected because McLean didn't like Norman Connor's drumming???)

Good list, although Hipnosis will probably not be considered due to its inclusion on the Grachan Moncur Select.

How about a few of the best Three Sounds discs? Cuscuna's complete boycott of the Three Sounds in US reissues is rather ridiculous.

This is/was a fantastic re-issue series, but I thought something was going on with the last batch.

Not only were they titles people have been waiting forever for, but we had 17 of them released within a month.

I really hope we haven't heard the last of them though.

There will be a Mosaic set or select with 3 Sounds material at some stage so not issuing single cd's makes sense money wise for Mosaic!!!!

Reinier,

You seem to be one of the guys with an "in" with Michael - has he confirmed this to you recently? Because others like Brad who have emailed don't get nearly as definitive an answer, so if you have new info, that's great.

Good list, although Hipnosis will probably not be considered due to its inclusion on the Grachan Moncur Select.

That's too bad, if that turns out to be the case. I already own Evolution, Some Other Stuff and probably most if not all of his sideman dates that have been issued.

I'd really like to see an official release (hoping that there would be a nice Patrick Roques cover to go with it) with decent sound and maybe as a bonus, that unreleased '68 McLean date.

Well, one can always wish :rolleyes:

This is/was a fantastic re-issue series, but I thought something was going on with the last batch.

Not only were they titles people have been waiting forever for, but we had 17 of them released within a month.

Yeah, I got a "last hurrah" feeling from that myself.

I'm still hoping to see Louis Smith - Smithville with those two additional tunes from the sessions.

That would be nice; here's hoping!

Stefan is spot on but that's a different matter. Dan: all I know is the business has to better than it is right now. The 3 Sounds set is something MC is trying to get out for a long time already but the music industy isn't helping.

As soon as it's possible (money wise) to do it it will be done.

Here are my Connoisseur 2008 suggestions:

Louis Smith - Smithville (in stereo for the first time and with the two extra tracks)

Kenny Burrell - Freedom

Stanley Turrentine - (the follow-up to ’A Bluish Bag’)

Larry Young - Contrasts

Dexter Gordon - Landslide

Sam Rivers - A New Conception

Jack Wilson - Song For My Daughter (+ unissued 1969 tracks)

OK, that was seven titles; one has to go, but I can't decide which one right now....

May I suggest a Rare Groove batch too? If not, I’ll take these from Water or some other label!

Lou Donaldson - Cosmos

Reuben Wilson - On Broadway

Jack McDuff - To Seek A New Home

Jimmy McGriff - Something To Listen To

Gene Harris And The Three Sounds

Are the tapes missing to Grant Green’s 'Green Acid'? Otherwise I’d add that one too.