mgraham333

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are my Connoisseur 2008 suggestions:

Kenny Burrell - Freedom

Dexter Gordon - Landslide

Jack Wilson - Song For My Daughter (+ unissued 1969 tracks)

The Burrell I've almost given up to wish for, but I would pre-order a copy at once!

The Dexter isn't enough material for a decent CD (less than 30 minutes), as the LP included a track from a session that was included in the respective reissue.

The Wilson - well ..... what is that unissued material?

complete Blue John sessions

complete Lou Donaldson "The Scorpion" live recording

the Harold Vick songs w/Patton that never came out.

Get back Rare Grooves...dug all the sessions previously mentioned for that...maybe add some Ronnie Foster to the list.

More organ stuff that's not Jimmy Smith...

Big John and Grant doing Jean de Fleur

great tune, its got to be a good listen.

The Dexter isn't enough material for a decent CD (less than 30 minutes), as the LP included a track from a session that was included in the respective reissue.

I re-calculated: the six tracks from the May/June 1962 (that were supposed to have Leo Parker participating, who died shortly before the dates) run for 32:45 minutes total. Would they release a Connoisseur CD that short? Besides that, it's not that inspired - Dexter was still under shock from the news of the death of his old room-mate from the Eckstine band.

They could add "Lady Be Good" from the abandoned session with Sonny Stitt and the Paul Weeden / Don Patterson trio, but this isn't one of Dexter's most brilliant moments, either.

In other words, I have my doubts about this being reissued as a single CD.

Blessed are those who bought the box set. (The interview snippets make that even more attractive.)

Same probably applies to the Kenny Burrell issued in Japan as "Freedom" - I regret I never heard these tracks, and thus cannot comment on their musical quality.

Edited by mikeweil

Kenny Burrell - Freedom

The Burrell I've almost given up to wish for, but I would pre-order a copy at once!

Me too. I started a thread about this a while ago:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...c=29033&hl=

And there was another one before that:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...&hl=freedom

And one about the LP:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...l=kenny+burrell

The general consensus seems to be that it's a nice LP that should be reissued.

I liked the "We Insist - Freedom Now!" quote. :lol:

Come to think of it, I'd like to see a proper reissue of Cecil's Hard Driving Jazz, which is now Coltrane Time (and that way I can avoid buying the Lonehill or whatever it is) and restore the original cover. If they can restore the Bill Evans/Jim Hall cover of Undercurrent, then why not this one? And feel free to remaster it, why you're at it :rolleyes:

post-5045-1195572530.jpg

The 3 Sounds set is something MC is trying to get out for a long time already but the music industy isn't helping.

As soon as it's possible (money wise) to do it it will be done.

From Worst Mosaic Decisions Thread

"Maybe he's still working on it." No he isn't.

I take it this means that the "work" is done and Michael is waiting for the right time to put out a Sounds set? Otherwise you seem to be contradicting yourself.

Morgan / Mobley - A Caddy For Daddy

Grant Green -Street Of Dreams

Aren't these still in print on CD?

And the current SoD sounds just fine to my ears (though I am not an audiophile). Perhaps it will sell more copies if it comes out in a Rudy Van Gimmick edition.

Guy

(Not addressed at you Guy) but why is it that everyone is so eager for Rudy to do his thing on yet another CD reissue but then give Hoffman shit for doing a (reportedly) really spectacular job on LP reissues?

Maybe the way to finally get the "Trainwreck" session issued is on audiophile LP. :g

Read it as you wish, Dan.

I can read it lots of ways, but it would be nice of you to clarify your meaning, Renier. Otherwise the people here who have been hoping for some sort of Sounds release will be left in the same place they have been, a state of confusion. Makes no nevermind to me because I have the BN releases in one form or another.