Blue Note Reissues for 2008...

mgraham333

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

glad to see the silver-album on the list. never heard this one but really looking forward for the rvg-cd ... as much as i like the silver-albums with the cook-mitchell-frontline ... i like the albums with other horn players even better, especially the one with farmer and mobley ("stylings of silver") :blush:

Then you're gonna like this one: Farmer-Jordan. It's a good one!!

thanks for posting this link ... but being a "lurker" for many years i was already familiar with this discussions about a possible mosaic project on the 3 sounds. ;)

all i can say is .... i wish blue note would do something completely crazy and smuggle one (or two) of their classic albums into the rvg series ... how about "here we come" ? :cool:

last time that blue note tried to sell some of the early 3 sounds music is already 10 years ago (black orchid in 1998) ... so why not give it another try and simply see what's happenin' ... maybe the rvg-label will attract some curiosity buyers this time ?! -_-

A quick word on the Jutta Hipp album in case anyone is interested; eventhough the cover says Jutta Hipp the dominate voice on this album is Zoot Sims, and he is in great form. So if you're a fan of Zoot I'd really urge you to check out the album. This isn't to say that Jutta Hipp isn't any good, in fact she presents an interesting contrast to other Blue Note pianists of the period. Apparently the knock on her, at the time, was that she was a Horace Silver copy-cat, which kind of blows my mind as I can't hear the slightest similarity. Of further note is that she dropped off the music scene and apparently was living in relative poverty, alone, and doing menial work (a laundress I believe), until Lee Konitz got in touch with her and got her some long overdue royalties. Atleast that's the story I heard.

I thought Hipp was a painter (which obviously doesn't preclude the possibility that she was also doing menial work).

Yes, some of her watercolours were on ebay shortly after she passed away, I recall.

'Seamstress' was my recollection of her occupation in later years but I may be wrong. In any case, a sad waste after making that move to N. America but maybe that was he preferred occupation after some time in the NYC clubs, who knows.

I thought Hipp was a painter (which obviously doesn't preclude the possibility that she was also doing menial work).

Yes, some of her watercolours were on ebay shortly after she passed away, I recall.

'Seamstress' was my recollection of her occupation in later years but I may be wrong. In any case, a sad waste after making that move to N. America but maybe that was he preferred occupation after some time in the NYC clubs, who knows.

Seamstress it is. My mental file on Jutta Hipp needs some updating, however I am interested in knowing if anyone knows anything about the Lee Konitz angle.

Seamstress it is. My mental file on Jutta Hipp needs some updating, however I am interested in knowing if anyone knows anything about the Lee Konitz angle.

Tom Evered of Blue Note Records posted about this on the old Blue Note board. At the time, probably the late 90's, Jutta Hipp's royalties had accumulated to almost $50,000, mainly due to her records selling well in Japan. Someone mentioned this to Lee Konitz, whose wife was from Germany and knew Hipp. It turned out that Lee's wife was still in touch with her. Tom drove to Queens and delivered the check personally. I was talking with him on the phone about it later and he was so happy to have found her.

Tom Evered of Blue Note Records posted about this on the old Blue Note board. At the time, probably the late 90's, Jutta Hipp's royalties had accumulated to almost $50,000, mainly due to her records selling well in Japan. Someone mentioned this to Lee Konitz, whose wife was from Germany and knew Hipp. It turned out that Lee's wife was still in touch with her. Tom drove to Queens and delivered the check personally. I was talking with him on the phone about it later and he was so happy to have found her.

$50K is an amazing amount of roylties to have accumulated, for someone who only had, what, two albums as a leader?

MG

Hopefully they will have some better artwork for Soothsayer -- always hated that cover.

I would come out on the other side of that issue. I guess I am a traditionalist on that kind of stuff.

Hasn't it been the case in recent years with these albums that were released long after they were recorded that the artwork was redone by Patrick Rocques [sp?]? Since this was released in the late 70s, i thought they might put a more classically stylized cover on it.

$50K is an amazing amount of roylties to have accumulated, for someone who only had, what, two albums as a leader?

MG

Three on Blue Note. (Others on others.)

I would bet the nineties cd reissues in US and Japan generated the coin.

Edited by jazzbo

MG

Three on Blue Note. (Others on others.)

I would bet the nineties cd reissues in US and Japan generated the coin.

Ah, I didn't realise there would have been other labels' royalties in there.

MG

Could anyone tell me a bit about the Lou Donaldson album? I really love "Blues Walk" however some of his out right soul-jazz offerings leave me a bit cold due to their "sameness" (alligator boogaloo, midnight creeper, though I did think natural soul was a bit better). I've passed on the most recent RVG of his as well as others like lightfoot. I suppose I'm asking if the newest offering would have a chance to change my opinion of Donaldson, or atleast be on par with his playing on "Blues Walk", rather than just being more of the same. Thanks for any opinions.

Could anyone tell me a bit about the Lou Donaldson album? I really love "Blues Walk" however some of his out right soul-jazz offerings leave me a bit cold due to their "sameness" (alligator boogaloo, midnight creeper, though I did think natural soul was a bit better). I've passed on the most recent RVG of his as well as others like lightfoot. I suppose I'm asking if the newest offering would have a chance to change my opinion of Donaldson, or atleast be on par with his playing on "Blues Walk", rather than just being more of the same. Thanks for any opinions.

If you like Natural Soul you will like this. My two favourite Donaldson albums.

But this is organ based music, so in that sense its different from Blues Walk which is more bop than blues.

Blue Note Records is proud to announce the twofer reissue of "Jungle Jazz" and "African Jazz" by the great Les Baxter, featuring Plas Johnson on tenor sax and alto flute, and Larry Bunker on vibes. 24 bit remastered. January 2008 release.

Is you joking man!!!!!?????

Zowie!

MG