Blue Note Reissues for 2008...

mgraham333

Blue Note Records is proud to announce the twofer reissue of "Jungle Jazz" and "African Jazz" by the great Les Baxter, featuring Plas Johnson on tenor sax and alto flute, and Larry Bunker on vibes. 24 bit remastered. January 2008 release.

Is you joking man!!!!!?????

Zowie!

MG

I think April 1 has come early.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

March 11 RVGs

Jimmy Smith – Live At The Baby Grand V. 1

Jimmy Smith – Live At The Baby Grand V. 2

Ike Quebec – Blue And Sentimental

Jutta Hipp With Zoot Sims

Here Comes Louis Smith

Stanley Turrentine – Look Out!

Freddie Redd – Shades Of Redd

Horace Silver – Further Explorations

Lou Donaldson – Here ‘Tis

Wayne Shorter – The Soothsayer

Looking forward to the Turrentine. The last of the Turrentine/Parlan recordings to be reissued, correct? Isn’t everything else either available as a stand-alone disc or as part of the Turrentine Mosaic or the Parlan Mosaic?

As mentioned earlier, I think highly of the Silver session. I probably won’t upgrade, but it’s worth it for anyone who hasn’t heard the session. More adventurous than Silver’s normal kick-ass swingin’ sessions.

I’ve never been able to decide if I ever wanted Soothsayer or not. I’m not a big fan of James Spaulding, and his presence on Shorter’s Schizophrenia (whattya wanna bet THAT one gets RVG’d soon?) is grating and almost too distracting.

May have to get Shades of Redd again. Can’t remember why I ever got rid of it in the first place.

Will definitely have to check out Louis Smith!

May 13 Connoisseurs

Stanley Turrentine – Return Of The Prodigal Son (the June 23 & July 28, 1967 sessions)

Louis Smith – Smithville (first time in stereo with two bonus tracks)

Bobby Hutcherson – Head On (includes three previously unissued tracks)

Art Farmer – Brass Shout (includes Aztec Suite)

Dizzy Gillespie & James Moody with Gil Fuller & The Monterey Jazz Festival Orchestra (includes Moody's Night Flight album)

Glad that BN stayed true to Cuscuna’s word and is getting the rest of that Pearson arranged Turrentine stuff out! Plus, it’ll be cool to get BOTH Louis Smith albums at the same time.

The Hutcherson & Farmer dates looks very interesting. I’ve never heard of either one, but the big-band lineups look promising!

a lot in those batches for me, Jutta Hipp with Zoot Sims has the same Sims/Lloyd frontline as Zoot Sims goes to Jazzville which I like so much..., the redd album was on my wishlist for long, as was the silver; will certainly check out one or two louis smith; hutcherson seems like a good idea, too, and as i've been listening a lot to the two ike quebec records i already have, i already see myself not buying everything i want from these batches...

Could anyone tell me a bit about the Lou Donaldson album? I really love "Blues Walk" however some of his out right soul-jazz offerings leave me a bit cold due to their "sameness" (alligator boogaloo, midnight creeper, though I did think natural soul was a bit better). I've passed on the most recent RVG of his as well as others like lightfoot. I suppose I'm asking if the newest offering would have a chance to change my opinion of Donaldson, or atleast be on par with his playing on "Blues Walk", rather than just being more of the same. Thanks for any opinions.

If you like Natural Soul you will like this. My two favourite Donaldson albums.

But this is organ based music, so in that sense its different from Blues Walk which is more bop than blues.

Add "Good Gracious" to make a swell organ trio (the early 60s-ish LD organ recordings, which to me seem a little more consistent than the late 60s-ish organ recordings). This one has Grant Green and Baby Face Willette. I love this stuff - joyous, nice playing, perhaps slightly corny in spots, but what they hey - it is fun stuff.

I must admit I'm a bit disappointed to see so many Connoisseur releases re-issued as RVGs in the last few batches ('Further Explorations,' 'Here Comes Louis Smith' AND 'Shades of Redd' in the latest), if only because it makes me nervous to sell those Connoisseurs well in advance of the RVG release dates, which is my typical practice to get the most money for them. The last thing I want to do is sell a Connoisseur and then have it dropped from the list!

But I suppose there are plenty of people here who would just bash me for being the sucker for supposed upgrades that I am... :w

There was plenty of description of 'Heads On' earlier - my question is, how does it compare to 'San Francisco'? It sounds like it might be a bit less groovy, am I right? Also, my out-dated AMG Guide lists it as a Cadet release - what's the story behind that?

Looking forward to the Turrentine. The last of the Turrentine/Parlan recordings to be reissued, correct? Isn’t everything else either available as a stand-alone disc or as part of the Turrentine Mosaic or the Parlan Mosaic?

"Up at Mintons" also featured Horace Parlan. Its only CD issues have been in Japan. I have JRVGs of them and I assume there was a previous TOCJ.

MG

"Up at Mintons" also featured Horace Parlan. Its only CD issues have been in Japan. I have JRVGs of them and I assume there was a previous TOCJ.

MG

there was a domestic "doubletime" 2CD set as well. Those with the ugly yellow/blue diagonal banner.

41N76X3EPRL._AA240_.jpg

MG

there was a domestic "doubletime" 2CD set as well. Those with the ugly yellow/blue diagonal banner.

41N76X3EPRL._AA240_.jpg

Aha!

MG

"I must admit I'm a bit disappointed to see so many Connoisseur releases re-issued as RVGs in the last few batches ('Further Explorations,' 'Here Comes Louis Smith' AND 'Shades of Redd' in the latest), if only because it makes me nervous to sell those Connoisseurs well in advance of the RVG release dates, which is my typical practice to get the most money for them. The last thing I want to do is sell a Connoisseur and then have it dropped from the list!"

I agree, and coming at it from another angle I'm hesitant to buy older Connisseurs that seem destined for the RVG treatment at somepoint. For instance I've not pulled the trigger on "A Slice of the Top" or "Medina" because I feel like the moment I do they'll be RVGed and I'll have just flushed money down the toilet. However my desire to hear those albums is starting to out pace the frugality I never really had to begin with.

Edited by dukesantos

Things would be different if you guys were interested in music more than commerce.

I'm interested in music more than commerce.

But I'm interested in the cover art at least as much as the music.

Which is why I don't buy reissues with bad cover art.

Then you should restict your purchases to vinyl.

You get some music as a bonus.

Things would be different if you guys were interested in music more than commerce.

When you spend thousands of dollars on the music (yes because you're interested in it, to say the least) and you live on a teacher's salary you tend to think about money now and then. I'm sure in the fantastic ivory towers where you live they hand out music for free but where I live you have to pay high prices for music that isn't readily available. But by all means Chairman Mao continue to enlighten us on our great ignorance in terms of commerce and music.

I must admit I'm a bit disappointed to see so many Connoisseur releases re-issued as RVGs in the last few batches ('Further Explorations,' 'Here Comes Louis Smith' AND 'Shades of Redd' in the latest), if only because it makes me nervous to sell those Connoisseurs well in advance of the RVG release dates, which is my typical practice to get the most money for them. The last thing I want to do is sell a Connoisseur and then have it dropped from the list!

don't want to rub some more salt in your fresh wounds ... but ... the jutta hipp album has been out as a connoiseur edition too :rsmile:

I agree, and coming at it from another angle I'm hesitant to buy older Connisseurs that seem destined for the RVG treatment at somepoint. For instance I've not pulled the trigger on "A Slice of the Top" or "Medina" because I feel like the moment I do they'll be RVGed and I'll have just flushed money down the toilet. However my desire to hear those albums is starting to out pace the frugality I never really had to begin with.

You can always just buy the Connisseurs and then not bother with the RVG versions when they come out.

(OK, I should admit that often enough I break this rule myself.)

Edited by BruceH

When you spend thousands of dollars on the music (yes because you're interested in it, to say the least) and you live on a teacher's salary you tend to think about money now and then. I'm sure in the fantastic ivory towers where you live they hand out music for free but where I live you have to pay high prices for music that isn't readily available. But by all means Chairman Mao continue to enlighten us on our great ignorance in terms of commerce and music.

DS, you seem like a good guy and I hope you stick around. Chuck can can be a crusty MF sometimes, but know that he loves the music and has devoted much of his life to making available music that might not have otherwise seen the light of day. Everything he says is coming from the heart, so don't take offense. Just my two cents. :)

BTW, have you met clementine yet? ;)