Blue Note Reissues for 2008...

mgraham333

I agree, and coming at it from another angle I'm hesitant to buy older Connisseurs that seem destined for the RVG treatment at somepoint. For instance I've not pulled the trigger on "A Slice of the Top" or "Medina" because I feel like the moment I do they'll be RVGed and I'll have just flushed money down the toilet. However my desire to hear those albums is starting to out pace the frugality I never really had to begin with.

You can always just buy the Connisseurs and then not bother with the RVG versions when they come out.

(OK, I should admit that often enough I break this rule myself.)

The problem with that reasoning is that I'm unable to go back in time to 1995 or whenever the last time SOTT or Medina were issued, believe me I wish I had bought them then, but I was only 16 or 17 years old, and my priorities were in different places. If they released either one tomorrow as a Connisseur I would buy it in a heart beat. I'm not brand loyal to RVG or anything.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things would be different if you guys were interested in music more than commerce.

When you spend thousands of dollars on the music (yes because you're interested in it, to say the least) and you live on a teacher's salary you tend to think about money now and then. I'm sure in the fantastic ivory towers where you live they hand out music for free but where I live you have to pay high prices for music that isn't readily available. But by all means Chairman Mao continue to enlighten us on our great ignorance in terms of commerce and music.

DS, you seem like a good guy and I hope you stick around. Chuck can can be a crusty MF sometimes, but know that he loves the music and has devoted much of his life to making available music that might not have otherwise seen the light of day. Everything he says is coming from the heart, so don't take offense. Just my two cents. :)

BTW, have you met clementine yet? ;)

Good to know, thanks.

DS, you seem like a good guy and I hope you stick around. Chuck can can be a crusty MF sometimes, but know that he loves the music and has devoted much of his life to making available music that might not have otherwise seen the light of day. Everything he says is coming from the heart, so don't take offense. Just my two cents. :)

BTW, have you met clementine yet? ;)

DS, Chuck can can be a crusty MF sometimes,

That's just his charm. :)

but know that he loves the music and has devoted much of his life to making available music that might not have otherwise seen the light of day.

Believe us on that one. Chuck knows his sh... Just consider it indoctrination. Boot camp so to speak. If you stick around you will come to respect Chuck's viewpoints.......may not always agree; but you will respect what he has to say about the music.

DS, you seem like a good guy and I hope you stick around.

You will find there are many other members that are quite knowledgeable about the music as well (On a relative scale I don't claim to be one of them). Glad to have you and welcome.

Will keep a look out for a good used copy of Medina and SOTT. They are definitely worth hearing.

Edited by Morganized

Have the Gillespie/Fuller disc on Pacific Jazz and that one is excellent!

Who all is on it? When was it recorded/released? Can't find it at jazzdisco.org. :(

Sorry it took me awhile to resond, but I was in Chicago for a few days.

The cd came out in 1992 and was recorded in LA in 10/65. The full title of the disk is "Gil Fuller and the Monterey Jazz Festival Orchestra featuring Dizzy Gillespie," but Blue Note must've thought that putting Dizzy's name first and "Blue Note" on the spine would be more eye catching and sell more cds. Here's the band:

Gill Fuller arrang-cond

Dizzy Gillespie/Freddie Hill/Harry Eddison/Melvin Moore/John Audino-trumpets

Lester Robinson/Francis Fitzpatrick/Jim Amlotte-Trombones

Herman Lebow/Sam Cassino/David Duke/Alan Robinson-french horns

Buddy Collette/Gabe Baltazar/Bill Green/Carrington Visor Jr/Jack Nimitz-reeds

Dennis Budimir-guitar

Phil Moore III-piano

Jimmy Bond-bass

Earl Palmer-drums

Tunes are:

1. Man from Monterey

2.Angel City

3Love Theme from the Sandpiper

4.Groovin' High

5. Be's That Way

6.Big Sur

7. Moontide

8.Things Are Here

Hope that helps

edit to say I forgot to mention that this is a Pacific Jazz release.

Edited by Holy Ghost

Have the Gillespie/Fuller disc on Pacific Jazz and that one is excellent!

Who all is on it? When was it recorded/released? Can't find it at jazzdisco.org. :(

Sorry it took me awhile to resond, but I was in Chicago for a few days.

The cd came out in 1992 and was recorded in LA in 10/65. The full title of the disk is "Gil Fuller and the Monterey Jazz Festival Orchestra featuring Dizzy Gillespie," but Blue Note must've thought that putting Dizzy's name first and "Blue Note" on the spine would be more eye catching and sell more cds. Here's the band:

Gill Fuller arrang-cond

Dizzy Gillespie/Freddie Hill/Harry Eddison/Melvin Moore/John Audino-trumpets

Lester Robinson/Francis Fitzpatrick/Jim Amlotte-Trombones

Herman Lebow/Sam Cassino/David Duke/Alan Robinson-french horns

Buddy Collette/Gabe Baltazar/Bill Green/Carrington Visor Jr/Jack Nimitz-reeds

Dennis Budimir-guitar

Phil Moore III-piano

Jimmy Bond-bass

Earl Palmer-drums

Tunes are:

1. Man from Monterey

2.Angel City

3Love Theme from the Sandpiper

4.Groovin' High

5. Be's That Way

6.Big Sur

7. Moontide

8.Things Are Here

Hope that helps

edit to say I forgot to mention that this is a Pacific Jazz release.

Cool! That looks like it'll be a good one!

I was hoping to see Ornette's albums come out as RVGs in 2008. The Empty Foxhole has been gone for a while [whatever your thoughts might be on that one] and the other two with Elvin, Dewey and Jimmy were deleted, IIRC.

Surely they would sell! Those covers, man!

51M63SBK4NL._AA240_.jpg

RVG has the green light from me. The remastering on both Love Call and New York sound like they were remastered in a paper bag. FWIW, I like The Empty Foxhole, but Dernado's drumming is not for everyone.

Edited by Holy Ghost

The Ornette studio sessions are just one example of outdated releases that I'd like to see get an RVG treatment before another Connoisseur. Those Connoisseurs, if not remastered, at least have some decent packaging (for those of us who care about such things) - my copy of 'The Empty Foxhole', 'though apparently a domestic and legitmate release, looks like it was put out by some bootleg label in the early 80s!

But we do have this discussion with every RVG batch, and I apologize for once again stirring it up...

The 'Head On' release has Hutch-Harold Land pairs so much on my brain that I just happened to stumble across this release on Dusty Groove, as if by fate. Anybody know much about it - how it compares?

my copy of 'The Empty Foxhole', 'though apparently a domestic and legitmate release, looks like it was put out by some bootleg label in the early 80s!

Wah? :blink:

The CD backer uses the same font as the original LP. The cover is reproduced. The liner notes are reproduced (in the same font). What makes this Connoisseur CD release look like a "bootleg label"? Everything is tiny, but that's what happens when you cram 12" square LP artwork into a 4.5" square.

The 'Head On' release has Hutch-Harold Land pairs so much on my brain that I just happened to stumble across this release on Dusty Groove, as if by fate. Anybody know much about it - how it compares?

The Peace-Maker was discussed here . I much prefer it to Head On for several reasons . First of all the writing is better on The Peace-Maker ; on Head On only one of the four longish tracks is by Hutch , and the tracks are somewhat unfocused . Harold Land's playing is much more interesting on the Peace-Maker . Also , I think the larger group on Head On gets in the way of the special interplay that makes the earlier Hutcherson/Land collaborations so terrific .

I'm all for CD reissues of albums that have never been on disc , but the Hutcherson I would like to have seen in this latest batch is the Live at Montreux date with Woody Shaw ( on CD in 1994 , but currently $ 50.00 on Amazon ) .

I should say that Circling In has some tracks with Vitous and Haynes, so it's not entirely Circle material. Still, a little of this and a little of that could make a nice two or three CD set.

I think those Vitous/Haynes tracks were on the expanded CD editions of "Now He Sings, Now He Sobs", no?

So it would be "Early Circle", parts of "Circling In", plus possibly "Song of Singing"... I don't have the playing times of the music, but I guess the Circle material would fit onto two CDs, and with "Song of Singing" it might end up being three?

Anyway, I did write them a mail suggesting this yesterday, will report if I get an answer!

I got a reply from Michael a couple of days ago - he thinks it "is a good idea and with Song of Singing, it could be a full Select." (quoted from the mail he sent). Now there's hope! I'd love to get this music in fine sound an all packed and annotated nicely! :)

(He also mentioned that rights on the CBS/Sony "Gathering" LP are unclear - hence it would rather be an EMI/BN set with "Song of Singin", if it happened...)

I should say that Circling In has some tracks with Vitous and Haynes, so it's not entirely Circle material. Still, a little of this and a little of that could make a nice two or three CD set.

I think those Vitous/Haynes tracks were on the expanded CD editions of "Now He Sings, Now He Sobs", no?

So it would be "Early Circle", parts of "Circling In", plus possibly "Song of Singing"... I don't have the playing times of the music, but I guess the Circle material would fit onto two CDs, and with "Song of Singing" it might end up being three?

Anyway, I did write them a mail suggesting this yesterday, will report if I get an answer!

I got a reply from Michael a couple of days ago - he thinks it "is a good idea and with Song of Singing, it could be a full Select." (quoted from the mail he sent). Now there's hope! I'd love to get this music in fine sound an all packed and annotated nicely! :)

(He also mentioned that rights on the CBS/Sony "Gathering" LP are unclear - hence it would rather be an EMI/BN set with "Song of Singin", if it happened...)

That is great news! Hope it happens.

I was hoping to see Ornette's albums come out as RVGs in 2008. The Empty Foxhole has been gone for a while [whatever your thoughts might be on that one] and the other two with Elvin, Dewey and Jimmy were deleted, IIRC.

Surely they would sell! Those covers, man!

51M63SBK4NL._AA240_.jpg

RVG has the green light from me. The remastering on both Love Call and New York sound like they were remastered in a paper bag. FWIW, I like The Empty Foxhole, but Dernado's drumming is not for everyone.

Offhand (and I am without my records over the holidays), does anybody know if they were recorded by RVG in the first place? My hunch is that they were not.

I have these on original vinyl and, while I think they sound fine, they don't sound like the "average" BN recording from the '60s.

Sounds excellent! :excited:

That is great news! Hope it happens.

Indeed.

So this would be Song of Singing, Circulus, Circling In, Gathering, and Live In German Concert? Wow.