Blue Note Reissues for 2008...

mgraham333

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you never know. He's remastered non-RVG dates in the past, in fact I thought he did a pretty good job with Davis' Birth of the Cool and Brown's Jazz Immortal. There may be others that I'm not thinking of.

Thelonious Monk's Blue Notes. Miles Davis's Blue Notes.

Well you never know. He's remastered non-RVG dates in the past, in fact I thought he did a pretty good job with Davis' Birth of the Cool and Brown's Jazz Immortal. There may be others that I'm not thinking of.

Indeed.

edit: hold the phone, I just checked my TOCJ copies and it says the 3/6/54 date was mastered by RVG. 4/20/53, 5/9/52 dates were remastered by RVG (it doesn't say who originally mastered them though.

Edited by Holy Ghost

And:

Basie, Count Basie (E=MC2) 1957 R-52003

Byrd, Donald Byrd's Eye View 1955 TRLP-4

Chambers, Paul Chambers' Music 1956 JWLP-7

Drew, Kenny Talkin' & walkin' 1955 JWLP-4

Farmer, Art Modern Art 1958 UAS-5007

Taylor, Cecil Jazz Advance 1956 TRLP-19

Stitt, Sonny Plays Arrangements from the Pen of Quincy Jones 1955 LP-2204

I should say that Circling In has some tracks with Vitous and Haynes, so it's not entirely Circle material. Still, a little of this and a little of that could make a nice two or three CD set.

I think those Vitous/Haynes tracks were on the expanded CD editions of "Now He Sings, Now He Sobs", no?

So it would be "Early Circle", parts of "Circling In", plus possibly "Song of Singing"... I don't have the playing times of the music, but I guess the Circle material would fit onto two CDs, and with "Song of Singing" it might end up being three?

Anyway, I did write them a mail suggesting this yesterday, will report if I get an answer!

I got a reply from Michael a couple of days ago - he thinks it "is a good idea and with Song of Singing, it could be a full Select." (quoted from the mail he sent). Now there's hope! I'd love to get this music in fine sound an all packed and annotated nicely! :)

(He also mentioned that rights on the CBS/Sony "Gathering" LP are unclear - hence it would rather be an EMI/BN set with "Song of Singin", if it happened...)

That is great news! Hope it happens.

Indeed.

So this would be Song of Singing, Circulus, Circling In, Gathering, and Live In German Concert? Wow.

No, it would not include the CBS albums, as far as I understood. That would be too much to fit onto three CDs, too, I think.

And:

Basie, Count Basie (E=MC2) 1957 R-52003

Byrd, Donald Byrd's Eye View 1955 TRLP-4

Chambers, Paul Chambers' Music 1956 JWLP-7

Drew, Kenny Talkin' & walkin' 1955 JWLP-4

Farmer, Art Modern Art 1958 UAS-5007

Taylor, Cecil Jazz Advance 1956 TRLP-19

Stitt, Sonny Plays Arrangements from the Pen of Quincy Jones 1955 LP-2204

Thanks, I have the Basie in the series as well as the Watkins and Adderley and BOTC. I wish I had found the Taylor, I really like that session.

Edited by jazzbo

RVG remastered Ornette's Golden Circle recordings, even though he didn't record them.

NY Is Now and Love Cry sound fine as LPs - the Cds are mediocre at best. It'd be nice to have them (with the non-LP tracks) in decent sound.

• 2 weeks later...

As always, these are the preliminary titles. Unless Michael includes UPC numbers, they aren't ready to go out the door. But I would think these are pretty firm.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> from Michael >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

March 11 RVGs

Jimmy Smith – Live At The Baby Grand V. 1

Jimmy Smith – Live At The Baby Grand V. 2

Ike Quebec – Blue And Sentimental

Jutta Hipp With Zoot Sims

Here Comes Louis Smith

Stanley Turrentine – Look Out!

Freddie Redd – Shades Of Redd

Horace Silver – Further Explorations

Lou Donaldson – Here ‘Tis

Wayne Shorter – The Soothsayer

Has anyone seen any confirmation of these yet (ie UPC codes)? I don't know where one would find a UPC code - I assume they are set before an album is available for pre-order.

And sorry, Clifford, if I'm regurgitating a topic that you could care less about... ;)

RVG remastered Ornette's Golden Circle recordings, even though he didn't record them.

NY Is Now and Love Cry sound fine as LPs - the Cds are mediocre at best. It'd be nice to have them (with the non-LP tracks) in decent sound.

And it would renew interest / bring new attention to albums by an artist still living and able to reap the benefits.

With the announcement today that EMI (owner of Blue Note) is planning to slash their staff in half tomorrow, I have to wonder if these "small fry" releases that Blue Note has planned will even happen.

I don't see these beancounters giving a guaranteed low-selling Jazz release the go. I wonder if there will be a Blue Note after tomorrow?

If you've never heard the Circulus and Circling In material don't get too excited. By the way some of it was on CD as Early Corea or something like that (IIRC it contained much but not all of Circling In).

I have Corea's 'Early Circle' and would love to hear more!

There's another 46 minutes of Quartet improvisations from the issued lps. Don't know what might still exist "in the can".