Blue Note Reissues for 2008...

mgraham333

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the announcement today that EMI (owner of Blue Note) is planning to slash their staff in half tomorrow, I have to wonder if these "small fry" releases that Blue Note has planned will even happen.

I don't see these beancounters giving a guaranteed low-selling Jazz release the go. I wonder if there will be a Blue Note after tomorrow?

Me too. I sent a message to Michael an hour ago.

Kevin and Chuck,

From the sounds of it a MAJOR reorganization is in store. Please keep us informed!

Prayers for all who are impacted.

Maybe just a straight RVG of Song of Singing would hit the mark better for more people? Mind you I don't want to spoil anybody's fun.

No need at all. There was a late 80s CD and then a few years ago the CD was re-done. No point at all in doing an RVG of that one and releasing the same stuff yet again!

As for the current situation, I hope for the best, but then the future of BN seems to be less safe that it has been in recent years for a while now, with reissues decreasing etc. Anyway, I still hope!

Here's the current public stuff from over here. 1,500-2,000 staff going out of 5,500 is a hell of a big cut!

By Roland Jackson AFP - 2 hours 8 minutes agoLONDON (AFP) - Music label EMI said Tuesday it would axe 1,500-2,000 jobs following its takeover by a private equity firm as it faces up to a digital download revolution and slumping CD sales.

(Advertisement)

The global music industry is grappling with sliding sales of compact discs and crucial technological shifts that have changed the ways consumers listen to music.

EMI, which is the world's third-biggest music group and employs about 5,500 people worldwide, said in a statement that the drastic overhaul would save about 200 million pounds per year.

The label's roster of artists includes The Beatles, Coldplay, David Bowie, Janet Jackson, Norah Jones, Robbie Williams, The Rolling Stones and The Spice Girls. [ WOT - NO MENTION OF BIG JOHN PATTON?]

EMI's restructuring, which will be implemented over the next six months, follows its takeover last year for 3.2 billion pounds by private equity firm Terra Firma, which is headed by financier Guy Hands.

"We have spent a long time looking intensely at EMI and the problems faced by its recorded music division which, like the rest of the music industry, has been struggling to respond to the challenges posed by a digital environment," Hands, who is EMI chairman, said in the statement.

He added: "The changes we are announcing today will ensure that this iconic company will be creating wonderful music in a way that is profitable and sustainable."

An EMI spokesman said that around a third of the proposed job losses would fall in Britain.

The world's biggest music label, Universal, which is owned by French media conglomerate Vivendi, and number two Sony-BMG, are also struggling with the arrival of digital music and the impact of illegal Internet downloads.

EMI added Tuesday it would also seek fresh income streams from enhanced digital services and corporate sponsorship deals.

In a further cost-cutting measure, the group will combine its distribution, marketing and sales departments into one single division.

"We believe we have devised a new revolutionary structure for the group that will improve every area of the business," Hands added.

"In short, it will make EMI's music more valuable for the company and its artists alike."

The restructuring followed a three-month period of intense consultation between staff, artists and managers.

Terra Firma captured EMI last year after US music publisher Warner Music Group decided not to make an offer.

EMI, which has issued a series of profit warnings since the start of 2007, chalked up a pre-tax loss of 263.6 million pounds last year.

It was reported earlier this week that pop star Robbie Williams had gone on strike against EMI, with his manager accusing Hands of acting like a "plantation owner."

The singer, who has sold 70 million albums for EMI, will not deliver his new album to the label, Williams' manager Tim Clark told The Times.

Hands had pledged last year to drop recording artists who were not working hard enough for the company.

According to various media reports, other artists who have expressed concern at EMI's new management include Coldplay.

Meanwhile, rock group Radiohead stunned EMI last year by leaving the label and allowing fans to download new album "In Rainbows" from their own website, paying whatever they thought it was worth.

Global sales of recorded music have fallen by about 20 percent since 2000, according to recent figures from the industry organisation IFPI.

OOPS - source

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20080115/tuk-...-a7ad41d_3.html

MG

If you've never heard the Circulus and Circling In material don't get too excited.

Why not?

Much of the material is long drawn out group improv. One ends bizarrely in a collective chant: 'Physical Universe - We Exist!'

I'm not saying the material isn't interesting - a trio track called Drone is the highlight, probably - but I'd say it's more interesting than thrilling. That said, if I go back to it in an enticing new CD package I might get unexpectedly excited. Like I say, I don't want to spoil anybody's fun!

a trio track called Drone is the highlight

Drone was reissued with its sessionmates on The Song of Singing.

Hm - well that would be enough for me...

Looking aorund I see that the JRVG has those extra tracks but I can't see any other issue that does (did I miss it?). So a straight US issue of the JRVG sounds like a good way forward from my point of view. That said, I know there are Corea completists out there so maybe a Select is on the cards.

Looking aorund I see that the JRVG has those extra tracks but I can't see any other issue that does (did I miss it?).

You missed a 1989 US cd - CDP 7 46401 2.

Ah OK. I'm surpised it hasn't been done since. A better album experience without Drone maybe? But an issue with those same tracks would go down pretty well, I'd have thought.

OK - an RVG of Song of Singing and a Conn of the three quartet tracks. Final offer.

Oh, sorry - I thought you were asking for an RVG of Now He Sings again, mis-read your post!

"Song of Singing", as Chuck said, had only one US issue in the 80s.

And add my :tup to the Altschul disc on Muse - it was on CD thanks to Joel Dorn and his 32jazz operation.

Oh yeah, Altschul You Can't Name Your Own Tune on Muse (later on 32), one of the better records most folsk have never heard.

For sure! Muhal is simply awesome on this one.

Listened to some sound clips and it does sound really good. I thought I heard a trombonest. Maybe George Lewis?

Yes, George, Sam Rivers and Dave Holland too.

I wasn't aware, Chuck - will have to play it again soon! Always liked it!

Don't mean to mislead anyone. I had nothing to do with the original date but did prompt the reissue by having an online pissing contest with one of the 32Jazz guys on RMB. He mentions this in the notes.

Ubu, since your are unaware, do you know this music from some download?

Interested vinylholics interested in this era of music should look for Barry's 2nd Muse date.

-Another time / Another place- : Ray Anderson (tb) Arthur Blythe (as) Anthony Davis (p,arr) Bill De Arango

(g) Brian Smith (b) Barry Altschul (d,perc)

New York, March 13, 1978

Crepescule, suite for Monk - Muse MR5176

a) Evidence

b) Crepescule with Nellie

c) Epistrophy

Abdul Wadud (cello) Anthony Davis (p) Barry Altschul (d,perc) same date

Traps Muse - MR5176

Ray Anderson (tb) Anthony Davis (p) Brian Smith (b) Barry Altschul (d,perc) same date

Another time / Another place Muse MR5176

Abdul Wadud (cello) Anthony Davis (p) Barry Altschul (d,perc)

New York, April 14, 1978

Chael - Muse MR5176

Abdul Wadud, Peter Warren (cello) Dave Holland, Brian Smith (b) Barry Altschul (d,perc) same date

Pentacle - Muse MR5176

Edited by Chuck Nessa