Blue Note Reissues for 2008...

mgraham333

complete Blue John sessions

complete Lou Donaldson "The Scorpion" live recording

the Harold Vick songs w/Patton that never came out.

Get back Rare Grooves...dug all the sessions previously mentioned for that...maybe add some Ronnie Foster to the list.

More organ stuff that's not Jimmy Smith...

Also want to add Reuben Wilson's "On Broadway" and "Set Us Free" LPs to the list of wants...

...by the way...can anybody help me find the Bring Back Rare Grooves thread? I've searched and can't come up with it. Thanks...

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I don't think these have been mentioned elsewhere...

From musictap:

"Blue Note Records goes through their vaults to bring back some jazz music that include the following titles: Fancy Dancer (Bobbi Humphrey); Set Us Free (Reuben Wilson); Heritage (Eddie Henderson); Elegant Soul, and Soul Symphony (The Three Sounds); and Howlin' for Judy (Jeremy Steig). These six reissues are scheduled for July 22."

how is the eddie henderson?

Eddie Henderson Group

Eddie Henderson (tp, flh) Julian Priester (tb, btb) Hadley Caliman (ss, bcl, fl) Patrice Rushen (el-p, clav, syn) Paul Jackson (el-b) Mike Clark (d -1/5) Sonship (Woody Theus) (d -6,7) Billy Hart (d -7) Mtume (cga, per)

Wally Heider Studios, San Francisco, CA, April 2, 1976

1. 17392 Inside You Blue Note BN-LA 636-G

2. 17393 Acupuncture -

3. 17394 Time And Space -

4. 17395 Nostalgia -

5. 17396 Kudu -

6. 17397 Dr. Manga -

7. 17398 Dark Shadow -

* Eddie Henderson - Heritage (Blue Note BN-LA 636-G)

how is the eddie henderson?

Eddie Henderson Group

Eddie Henderson (tp, flh) Julian Priester (tb, btb) Hadley Caliman (ss, bcl, fl) Patrice Rushen (el-p, clav, syn) Paul Jackson (el-b) Mike Clark (d -1/5) Sonship (Woody Theus) (d -6,7) Billy Hart (d -7) Mtume (cga, per)

Wally Heider Studios, San Francisco, CA, April 2, 1976

1. 17392 Inside You Blue Note BN-LA 636-G

2. 17393 Acupuncture -

3. 17394 Time And Space -

4. 17395 Nostalgia -

5. 17396 Kudu -

6. 17397 Dr. Manga -

7. 17398 Dark Shadow -

* Eddie Henderson - Heritage (Blue Note BN-LA 636-G)

IMHO Eddie Henderson's album got less and less exciting after his two Capricorns - the first Blue Note was exciting - Harvey Mason really firing up the groove - but the second really didn't take off. Nice but a little lame compared to Sunburst. The Capitol Lps that were to come have their moments, too, but it really went downhill after the Mwandishi band.

... and Howlin' for Judy (Jeremy Steig).

That was one of the tracks on the Legwork LP on Solid State. The three Sonny Lester produced LPs, This Is Jeremy Steig, Legwork, and Wayfaring Stranger (the latter only was released on Blue Note because Liberty had bought Solid State and transferred the unreleased LPs to the Blue Note catalog) easily fit on a twofer.

If they had tossed in the Fusion sessions that were issued on Groove Merchant as well as Capitol it would make a nice Mosaic Select and still had enough playing time left to include the Mike Mainieri LP with Steig.

We'll see .....

Is there any confirmation about this batch? I have to admit I'd be very surprised to see two Three Sounds reissues after the things MC has said about their reissue sales. But I'd be all over them if there are unissued tracks.

Blue Note's website shows them: BN's Three Sounds page

Wow. If AMG's opinion is to be believed, neither one of these are top-shelf albums. Not even middle-shelf.

Is there any confirmation about this batch? I have to admit I'd be very surprised to see two Three Sounds reissues after the things MC has said about their reissue sales. But I'd be all over them if there are unissued tracks.

Wow. If AMG's opinion is to be believed, neither one of these are top-shelf albums. Not even middle-shelf.

I'd rather credit anything Dan says about these than AMG.

So, what of them, Dan?

MG

I don't think these have been mentioned elsewhere...

From musictap:

"Blue Note Records goes through their vaults to bring back some jazz music that include the following titles: Fancy Dancer (Bobbi Humphrey); Set Us Free (Reuben Wilson); Heritage (Eddie Henderson); Elegant Soul, and Soul Symphony (The Three Sounds); and Howlin' for Judy (Jeremy Steig). These six reissues are scheduled for July 22."

yip yipity yip....a nice clean copy of the wilson and the other rarities for me....I had given up on buying any more reissues.

I have heritage on a japanese issue but would strongly recommend it to others...as I would with most of these...save maybe the 3 sounds which never grabbed me when I bought them on LP....sold them again pretty quickly afterwards if I remember

So, what of them, Dan?

MG

Soul Symphony ranks above Elegant Soul, by a significant margin, IMO. The latter suffers for song choices, like "Harper Valley P.T.A." among others, while the title track of the former stretches across one side of the LP and actually holds interest. Monk Higgins originally wrote the tune as his Master's Thesis (or something like that) and then made changes to make it a vehicle for Gene Harris' soulful piano. Its supposed to reflect "the Negro experience in America" and its definitely worth hearing if you are a fan of Harris. The rest of the album has several shorter, radio-ready throwaway ditties like "Popsicle Pimp".

I will definitely be interested to hear people's impressions of Soul Symphony, as I've come close in the past to using the title track on a BFT - but how can you use up 24 minutes of space on one tune? :g

Edited by Dan Gould

So, what of them, Dan?

MG

Soul Symphony ranks above Elegant Soul, by a significant margin, IMO. The latter suffers for song choices, like "Harper Valley P.T.A." among others, while the title track of the former stretches across one side of the LP and actually holds interest. Monk Higgins originally wrote the tune as his Master's Thesis (or something like that) and then made changes to make it a vehicle for Gene Harris' soulful piano. Its supposed to reflect "the Negro experience in America" and its definitely worth hearing if you are a fan of Harris. The rest of the album has several shorter, radio-ready throwaway ditties like "Popsicle Pimp".

I will definitely be interested to hear people's impressions of Soul Symphony, as I've come close in the past to using the title track on a BFT - but how can you use up 24 minutes of space on one tune? :g

Good enough for me. I'm definitely interested in Soul Symphony now!

Let me say again, just one more time, how much I hate the redesigned Blue Note site...

Sux...big time. :rmad::tdown

Let me say again, just one more time, how much I hate the redesigned Blue Note site...

Sux...big time. :rmad::tdown

Isn't it some kind of internet law that 9 times out of 10 when they redesign a site it's for the worse? Seems like it.