Blue Note Reissues for 2008...

mgraham333

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh F Yeah...on Reuben Wilson's "Set Us Free"!!!!!

Have you heard it? If AMG is to be believed, this sounds like it's right up there (or down there) with Elegant Soul. I hope it's better than that! :unsure:

I have an LP burn of that, I enjoy it...like all of Reuben's Blue Note dates...take that as either a recommendation or a condemnation depending on what you think of my taste. :g

I think I saw an LP copy on Ebay go for $130 not long ago...so, yeah...can't wait for the CD!

It's the only Reuben Wilson LP I've flogged because I thought it was crap.

But I've made many mistakes in the past and this might be one. In the light of Mike and Shawn's comments, I'll try this again.

MG

Have you heard it? If AMG is to be believed, this sounds like it's right up there (or down there) with Elegant Soul. I hope it's better than that! :unsure:

I have an LP burn of that, I enjoy it...like all of Reuben's Blue Note dates...take that as either a recommendation or a condemnation depending on what you think of my taste. :g

If it's like BLUE MODE, bring it on baby!!!!!

If it's like LOVE BUG, that'll be cool!

If it's funky, good enough for me.

If it's a radical departure, thanks but no.......

• 1 month later...

Went back and listened to some of the Reuben Wilson album. While it does have some nice funky grooves, it's also cluttered up with sitars, un-inspired backing vocals on some tracks, etc. I have a copy because of my Jerome Richardson obsession...but it can probably be safely skipped by those who are turned off by early 70's BN production qualities.

I've only heard one cut off of it...it's on the Blue Break Beats comp. Yeah, these Lps get pretty iffy around this time period, especially for organists. But to be honest, I've heard, dug, love, admire...so many "regular" organ records that kind of freaky ones like the later McDuff Blue Notes like What's Tomorrow Gonna Bring, ect. I like those records too, very different and enjoyable to me in many, many ways. So I'm looking forward Set Us Free...based off the cut I heard and just the label and date...I know it's going to be something different.

• 3 weeks later...

... and Howlin' for Judy (Jeremy Steig).

That was one of the tracks on the Legwork LP on Solid State. The three Sonny Lester produced LPs, This Is Jeremy Steig, Legwork, and Wayfaring Stranger (the latter only was released on Blue Note because Liberty had bought Solid State and transferred the unreleased LPs to the Blue Note catalog) easily fit on a twofer.

If they had tossed in the Fusion sessions that were issued on Groove Merchant as well as Capitol it would make a nice Mosaic Select and still had enough playing time left to include the Mike Mainieri LP with Steig.

We'll see .....

Well, I saw: the track list on the Blue Note website:

It's a compliation of 7 tracks from the Wayfaring Stranger and Legwork LPs - disappointing - both albums complete with the first, This Is ... would have made a nice twofer. I will keep my LPs.

For the cover they used Jeremy's photo from the front cover of Stranger with his painting from the back cover of Legwork. This is one of the most disappointing resissues from Blue Note in some time! :tdown :tdown :tdown

5099952238222_119164.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

mikeweil,i agree with you completely. how they can release three complete albums by bobbi humphrey,and do a butcher job on jeremy steig,is beyond me.

And the Humphrey reissues are the three Larry Mizell schlock jobs rather than the other three, fairly interesting earlier releases she had on Blue Note.

On the Blue Note website they state they chose "Howlin' For Judy" as title track 'cause it was used as a sample by someone prominent - this type of use seems to dictate reissue potential, not musical content. I guess the same goes for the Mizell stuff.

I don't see Cuscuna, OTOH, being that much interested in the type of early fusion music these Steig sessions represent.

I don't see Cuscuna, OTOH, being that much interested in the type of early fusion music these Steig sessions represent.

I sure do hope that, in the not too distant future, he makes the decision to re-issue c4709491pj2.jpg

Yes indeed! It's a pain in the arse turning the LP over halfway through a track.

Reading Shawn's comments, which match precisely my thoughts of the Reuben Wilson LP from back in the day I bought it, I don't think I'll bother with it again.

MG

• 3 weeks later...

If it's like BLUE MODE, bring it on baby!!!!!

If it's like LOVE BUG, that'll be cool!

If it's funky, good enough for me.

If it's a radical departure, thanks but no.......

Well, I listened to it via Rhapsody. Sad to say, it's none of the above. It's just..... there. Don't think I'll be getting this one.

Al...Set Us Free ain't nothing like Love Bug or Blue Mode. It's more like Reuben Wilson's version of the same thing McDuff did with Moon Rappin' or Who Know's What's Tommorrow Gonna Bring. I've really been digging it if you put it in that context. It's no Love Bug, but if you like those later McDuff Blue Note's, I think you'll like this one.

I'm really curious if anyone has picked up the Three Sounds reissues, particularly Soul Symphony. Lots of excellent Gene Harris on that one.

I got both and they're both getting LOTS of play in the car...Great stuff, and nice and different. Sometimes the commerciality of something just appeals to the anti-Andrew Hill in me. :lol: