Mosaic Teagarden Set

I had the contrary reaction -- I found the three cuts from the Mosaic website very tame, and, well, boring. And this from someone who loves the Capital Teagarden Mosaic. Think I'll put this toward the bottom of my Mosaic to-buy list. Frankly, I've found the past two years of Mosaic offerings very unexciting. The last one I really looked forward to was the Donald Byrd/Pepper Adams, which has turned out to be one of my favorites.

Edited by Matthew

It's almost the opposite for me: I've really enjoyed their new direction into the earlier decades: Mildred Bailey, Bix-Tram-Tea, Venuti-Lang, Manone-Prima.

I agree that some of the Teagarden is tame Tea, but I like Tea thoroughly, tame or torrid, have the lps in this set, and am eager to hear the live material that was unissued (the live lp was the best of the Roulettes for me.) I preordered and should have my set soon. . . .

I did get the Jones (which is great) & Moncur (haven't listened to it yet) Selects, but, for some reason, I don't feel the same with the Selects as with the big box. My last four Mosaic sets have been OOP lp sets (Brooks, both Chet Baker's, also got the Eddie Condon). I'm on the bandwagon for the Mulligan Concer Jazz Band though. One interesting thing: I read on the West Coast Jazz mailing list is that there will be a Mosaic of Pacific Jazz piano trios out sometime. Whether a select or box, I don't know, but that was a surprise to me.

What jazzbo said. Teagarden is pretty much on my GET EVERYTHING YOU CAN list. I also have the lps from the set and there's some very nice stuff there.

Now where's Sharkey Bonano?

Sharkey Bonano? Never heard of the dude! Learn something new everyday! (thought it might be Sonny Bono's real name....)

http://store6.yimg.com/I/jukejoint_1724_82935543 HMMMM can't show actual photo, board software said....You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board.

I'll disagree with PD again. Sharkey's work, no matter how sliced label wise, would make a great Mosaic. It's where I'd like to see them go before many others.

The Tea Mosaic arrived at my door last night. VERY NICE SET. VERY HAPPY that Malcolm Addey was the one to do the sound.

As far as I know, Sharkey's Capitol material has not been reissued since it's first appearance on 12" vinyl in the mid 50's - some of the capitol never made it beyond 78s and there were eight sides with Santo Pecora on the Kappa label which never made it beyond 78. I would LOVE to see this stuff available.

The Tea Mosaic arrived at my door last night. VERY NICE SET. VERY HAPPY that Malcolm Addey was the one to do the sound.

I got mine yesterday as well and listened to three of the discs and am extremely pleased with everything. The remastering is excellent and the music is wonderful. If this set isn't as good as the Capitol sessions, its damned close. IMO--one of the better sets released by Mosaic in awhile. Teagarden is Fantastic!

• 1 year later...

This Monday I ordered the new Jazztet Mosaic, and on Wednesday morning the gray Airbourne Express truck pulled up outside. It's the only time I ever feel like giving a guy flowers... that aside, I brought the box inside, lamenting only that because of a work-filled day I wouldn't have time to enjoy the Jazztet. Boy, was I right--I opened it, and inside was the Teagarden box! They'd charged me for the Jazztet and sent me Big T by mistake.

Now, Mosaic being Mosaic, they immediately said they'd rectify the error, ship me the Jazztet, and take the Teagarden back. The Teagarden set was not a high-priority one for me, but I said "Don't worry, just send me the Jazztet and charge me for the Teagarden--I'm keeping it." And glad I did! I've listened only to the live material so far, but it's very nice stuff, and hell, I even kind of like Don Goldie's trumpet playing, despite the observations offered within the booklet (not necessarily by the writer--some may be quotes from others.)

The kind of accidental bait-and-switch I love! The funny thing is that the Teagarden booklet is numbered incorrectly because of the mix-up--it's 0364 buts should be in the 1600s. I told Fred that that seemed like a low number for a set that had been out for a year and a half, and he said, "Yeah, if that were the case, we'd be in big trouble!"

Wow, I'm glad you are enjoying the Teagarden set.

I like Goldie too, and this set is just a joy!  Wish I had it here at work now that I am thinking of it!

Well, I've grown to like Teagarden a lot in the past several years & remembered your positive comments about this set, which is one of the reasons why I pretty much instantly decided to keep it. Not that I needed much rationalization! "Gee, it would be a lot of hassle to re-seal the box & take it down to Airbourne Express... guess I'll just have to buy it instead." ^_^

It's funny, Lon--a lot of times I like to listen to "early" jazz early in the day (and I would say the T set falls into that category, even though it was recorded circa 1960), but I put this set on late last night and it sounded great! Just a really nice vibe for the end of the day. Hoping to listen to more of it tonight, although Art Tatum keeps tempting me back to the musical bar... and Walt Dickerson's THIS IS WALT DICKERSON keeps crying out for another spin... Ah, what a dilemma! B-)

Edited by ghost of miles

I have those same sort of dilemnas. . .night after night, day after day. . . the good life!

Tea from the fifties and sixties has a tinge of sadness for me when I think of how soon he left us, and in the music itself there's a tinge of sadness. . . makes for good evening fare.

I can listen to early jazz almost any time of the day I guess. . . .