Talk Talk

Guy Berger

Anybody else a fan of these guys? I haven't heard the 80s synth pop albums, but Spirit of Eden and especially Laughing Stock are amazing records. Very hard to describe (maybe an updated version of Astral Weeks?) but this may be one case where the overused post-rock label actually fits.

Guy

Well, the Mighty God of Rock'n Roll should condemn you to one hundred thousand years of Purgatory because of your blaspheme analogy. Some sort of Ludovico cure where you are forced to watch all the 80's videos: from Duran Duran to Back Street Boys.

alex-de-large2.jpg

:g

Edited by porcy62

I'm on board! I like "It's My Life" all the way to "Laughing Stock". Their live album is one that's often overlooked by alot of folks, and is difficult to find. Hollis' solo album is a gem as well. And the "A Sides Besides" compilation has alot of great non-album stuff too.

I wish Hollis would come back to music, and reunite the band. I think they could pick up where they left off pretty easily.

Anybody else a fan of these guys? I haven't heard the 80s synth pop albums, but Spirit of Eden and especially Laughing Stock are amazing records. Very hard to describe (maybe an updated version of Astral Weeks?) but this may be one case where the overused post-rock label actually fits.

Guy

Well, the Mighty God of Rock'n Roll should condemn you to one hundred thousand years of Purgatory because of your blaspheme analogy. Some sort of Ludovico cure where you are forced to watch all the 80's videos: from Duran Duran to Back Street Boys.

Porcy,

Have you heard the two albums in question? I really don't think my comparison is that off the mark.

Guy

Guy

Porcy,

Have you heard the two albums in question? I really don't think my comparison is that off the mark.

Guy

Not at all, I was only joking. :)

Though in general I dislike most of the brit pop of the eighties, an era with good producers and bad/fake musicians and composers, a part few exceptions IMHO, so maybe you're right. I'll look for these album in my used record shop because "Astral Weeks" is one of my fave record.

Guy

Porcy,

Guy

Not at all, I was only joking. :)

Though in general I dislike most of the brit pop of the eighties, an era with good producers and bad/fake musicians and composers, a part few exceptions IMHO, so maybe you're right. I'll look for these album in my used record shop because "Astral Weeks" is one of my fave record.

I definitely wouldn't characterize these albums as "80s brit pop". In fact I don't know how I would characterize these albums.

Guy

I definitely wouldn't characterize these albums as "80s brit pop". In fact I don't know how I would characterize these albums.

Guy

That's a good reccomendation.

I think only their first release, "The Party's Over" could be called new wave or brit pop or something. They rapidly changed after that, though "It's My Life" has their biggest hit in the title song. The rest of the album isn't quite like that song though, but it does walk the fence between pop-ish music and what they did later - whatever that is.

I agree with Dave that "Colour of Spring" is an exceptional album.

Edited by Aggie87

I bought the 4-song Talk Talk EP in college, then got The Party's Over for Christmas. Saw Talk Talk open for Elvis Costello on his Imperial Bedroom tour at the Fox Theater in Atlanta. They were good, but it wasn't Talk Talk's audience.

For whatever reason I've been repurchasing my college-era music in CD form. Just ordered The Party's Over and the greatest hits collection last weekend. Other than the hits, I lost track of them after The Party's Over so I'm looking forward to hearing their more adventurous stuff.

And now the search turns to Heaven 17...

Fuck Astral Weeks and Lester Bangs-- seriously. Van made some okay punk records before & slipped it in some hot hippie chix after but this-- along w/Springsteen & U2-- has to be among thee most overrated, near-insufferable albums of all-time...

I'll agree with you that Bangs was generally a wanker (though less than most of the other "respected" rock critics) but disagree with you about Astral Weeks.

Guy

I love those two albums as well. I can hear some influence from early 70's Pink Floyd (in a less bombastic fashion) and some David Sylvian (another of my favourite 80's pop artists) in them.

Color of Spring is the only other album of theirs that is even sort of good. The Mark Hollis solo album is ok, but at times verges on overplaying its hand IMO.

The unedited version of Laughing Stock is worth picking up if you can find it (it's not particularly easy to find as I understand).

I love those two albums as well. I can hear some influence from early 70's Pink Floyd (in a less bombastic fashion) and some David Sylvian (another of my favourite 80's pop artists) in them.

I still haven't heard any Japan and/or Sylvian -- something I will have to get to eventually.

Guy