Louie Bellson

Bright Moments

I love Louie Bellson, but this is not one of my favorite recordings by him. These are the ones I like best:

Thunderbird (Impulse), swinging small group featuring Harry Edison and Carl Fontana

Big Band Jazz From The Summit (Roulette), IMHO his best big band recording

150 MPH (Concord), superb big band session featuring Conte Candoli, Frank Rosolino, Don Menza a.o.

Airmail Special (Musicmasters), another fine big band recording, charts by Tommy Newsom, Don Menza, Sammy Nestico, Frank Mantooth

Raincheck (Concord), quintet featuring Blue Mitchell, Ted Nash, Ross Tompkins

I love Louie Bellson, but this is not one of my favorite recordings by him. These are the ones I like best:

Thunderbird (Impulse), swinging small group featuring Harry Edison and Carl Fontana

Big Band Jazz From The Summit (Roulette), IMHO his best big band recording

150 MPH (Concord), superb big band session featuring Conte Candoli, Frank Rosolino, Don Menza a.o.

Airmail Special (Musicmasters), another fine big band recording, charts by Tommy Newsom, Don Menza, Sammy Nestico, Frank Mantooth

Raincheck (Concord), quintet featuring Blue Mitchell, Ted Nash, Ross Tompkins

maybe you don't like the 'latin' beat?

well i guess i must be wrong about this one - Yanow says:

Review by Scott Yanow

Drummer Louis Bellson is co-leader on this CD reissue of a Pablo set with percussionist Walfredo De Los Reyes, but it is very much Reyes's set. Actually, there are eight percussionists on this date and, even with the presence of keyboards, two bassists (including the legendary Cachao) and up to three horns (Cat Anderson and Alejandro Vivar on trumpets and Lew Tabackin contributing some flute and tenor), the five selections are essentially percussion displays. This would have been a fun date to see live with all of the colorful sounds being made but, as a pure listening experience, the lack of variety and the emphasis on fairly simple (if dense) rhythmic vamps makes this a surprisingly forgettable affair.

OR MAYBE NOT!!!

I LIKE IT!!!!!

:excited:

Always liked Louie Bellson when he played wit the Ellington orchestra.

He was also very effective on the 'Basie in Sweden' album on Roulette back in 1962 when he temporarily replaced Sonny Payne as the Basie band drummer.

I completely agree. Bellson had a very different time feeling than Sonny Payne, but the Basie band sounded great with Bellson.

I like that LP with Walfredo de los Reyes a lot, it features a host of great percussion players etc., but suffers from a very bad mix. It sounds like it was mixed live without much preparation.

I had hoped they would correct this for the OJC CD issue, but no ...

But generally, I observed most jazz fans don't like that type of descarga albums.

I like that LP with Walfredo de los Reyes a lot, it features a host of great percussion players etc., but suffers from a very bad mix. It sounds like it was mixed live without much preparation.

I had hoped they would correct this for the OJC CD issue, but no ...

But generally, I observed most jazz fans don't like that type of descarga albums.

man i do mike! it gets the blood pumpin! :excited:

i looked at AMG but it doesn't appear that bellson did any other albums like this one though.

i looked at AMG but it doesn't appear that bellson did any other albums like this one though.

Not to my knowledge.

Walfredo de los Reyes did an LP Cuban Jazz - I have a Palladium reissue - it is many years earlier, and not nearly as hot. Cachao and Paquito Echeverria are on it as well.

I like Bellson on many of the Basie small group sessions done for Pablo.

So do I, one of the best of them is "Basie & Zoot" featuring Zoot Sims, Count Basie, John Heard and Louie Bellson. Bellson has another fine sideman appearance with Oscar Peterson on "London Concert" (Pablo).

Edited by Tommy T

• 10 years later...

We all know that drummer..:Louie Bellson wrote and composed the tune..: Skin Deep.. I have many Vinyles.+.CD's where this tune is played by Bellson himself big bands, and by other great Jazzmen like Duke Ellington, and then by other drummers,. Please, send me a PM , in case there is the Recordings of your interest to get/receive,. Thanks.,Ciao fabio .,Roma.,.-

-..L o u i s . B e l l s o n..-SKIN DEEP-..Recordings-Vinyls Collections..-

.....-.A.---by..louis bellson---

-1--black.brown.badge-     ..cd..music-master.65096.2—

-2—skin deep-                   ..lp..norgran-mgn-  ..1046---

-3—note smoking-             ..lp..discwasher-dr- ..002dd---

-4—explosion band-           ..lp..pa-u.s.a. –pr-    ..7160---

....-.B.---by..bellson..+..ERIC DELANEY.drums..-U.K.-

-5---repercussion- .1967.              ..lp..columbia-e.m.i.-two-..169---

....-.C.---by..louie bellson.. with ..DUKE ELLINGTON..-

-6---up town-                                 ..lp..c.b.s..460830.1---

-7---live..the seattle concert..-       ..lp..r.c.a..nl.. 90071---

....-.D.---by..duke ellington   with his ..orchestra..

--drs  ..Sam Woodyard.=.S W ..JIMMY JOHNSON.=.J.J  ..DAVE BLACK.=.D B—

-8---newport.j.fest- 1959..s w.+.j.j...   ..cd..emarcy..  842071.2---

-9---berlin..v.i.p. live .1959..j.j...         ..lp..swinghouse  ..swh.18---

-10---antibes .vol.2- ..live.1966..s.w..  ..lp...verve.. 2304.065---

-11---.he is edward kennedy’..unknown.’drums’..lp..alto-rcd 710-

-12---newport.j.fest...1956 ..s.w..          ..lp...c.b.s...20.ap.1452---

-13---los angeles.1952.concert..d.b..     .lp..crescendo...gnp.9049---

-14---parigi..salle playelle.1959..j.j..      ..2lp..affinity –aff.d.28---

-15--ontario.’hamilton’.forum..1954..d.b..cd..radiex.-rdw-1000---

....-.E.----by..jack parnell.drs..+..ronnie verrell.drs  -U. K.-

-16---tv..big band  ..recorgings..           –lp..e.m.i – mpf..50302--

-