Glad to be back

troyk

Guest Bill Barton

Welcome to all of the "refugees"!

Interesting... I never "felt at home" there (that *other* board) and haven't even lurked for at least a couple of years. Probably I wasn't posting on the Big O when ya'll left, so it's more a straight-up "welcome" than a "welcome back" from me.

I remember when you left, I had asked you about where you lived as I knew a Barton, or perhaps it was Burton, who lived up in Sisters, Oregon, and then you were gone. Thought that perhaps I had blown your cover, ha!

:rofl:

No, no cover blown, just bored... :blink:

I'm looking forward to some of those wonderful stories here, Sandi.

Bright Moments

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to all of the "refugees"!

Interesting... I never "felt at home" there (that *other* board) and haven't even lurked for at least a couple of years. Probably I wasn't posting on the Big O when ya'll left, so it's more a straight-up "welcome" than a "welcome back" from me.

I remember when you left, I had asked you about where you lived as I knew a Barton, or perhaps it was Burton, who lived up in Sisters, Oregon, and then you were gone. Thought that perhaps I had blown your cover, ha!

There, I found it less of a problem with flaming putdowns which themselves can go too far at times, but the freedoms lost are upsetting as well. Unneeded it seems, & more often than not. Most of us are capable of restraint when needed, or a bit of well placed prodding for an out of hand thought and post usually ends a problem before it can start, or it just flames out of it's own accord, this happening when when people realize they just might be wrong.

I just don't get some things about the functions here, look at my post on Lester Young, it's a mess and yes I know baracks are barracks, didn't feel like trying to straighten that mess out. No telling what other mistakes are in that post (or this one), maybe I'll fix it all up later.

Welcome, Sandi. I used to visit the AAJ forums, but haven't for a long time. No big deal or underlying reasons: just found myself reading far more threads here. Your musician stories are my best memories of the AAJ forums.

I was somewhat curious about the recent influx (welcome to others I may have omitted, btw). Thanks for the account.

Guest Bill Barton

...There, I found it less of a problem with flaming putdowns which themselves can go too far at times, but the freedoms lost are upsetting as well. Unneeded it seems, & more often than not. Most of us are capable of restraint when needed, or a bit of well placed prodding for an out of hand thought and post usually ends a problem before it can start, or it just flames out of it's own accord, this happening when when people realize they just might be wrong.

I just don't get some things about the functions here, look at my post on Lester Young, it's a mess and yes I know baracks are barracks, didn't feel like trying to straighten that mess out. No telling what other mistakes are in that post (or this one), maybe I'll fix it all up later.

The post on Lester Young strikes me as just fine, I have to say. The content is what is important rather than the format. Great story! And I kind of like the way it came out: sort of free-form poetry :D Maybe you should retain that as your posting style :lol:

Very nicely stated regarding flaming too. My relatively recent introduction to active posting here was over on the Signal to Noise thread and a little tussle with Clementine that got - shall we say - a tad bit heated on occasion. I didn't take it personally, however, and find that the open dialogue here, even if it gets a hair over-the-top on occasion, is far superior to over-moderation. After all, this is a bulletin-board forum about jazz (and sundry other things) not a life-and-death struggle.

Edited by Bill Barton

Guest Bill Barton

'Tis true! :D

And Bill, I seem to recall you posting over on AAJ, quite a while back.

Yes, quite awhile back... I was most active circa 2002-2003. Let's see, board (boring?) history: started out at Jazz Central Station, migrated to Jazz Corner's Speakeasy thanks to Scott Yanow's tip before JCS folded (I'm still pretty active on the much-maligned-in-these-parts JC), joined Organissimo in 2003 but mostly lurked and didn't post until I got a feel for the place, was also active on the old Blue Note board and that Great Day in Harlem (?) board that was around for a minute.

Good to "see" you here.

And, like Aggie87 said, props to Jim!

Hi all,

Though having been a rather passive member for half a year now I'd like to officially join the growing group of refugees from "the other board".

Nice to meet Bev, papsrus, Saundra, clave, Noj, and others again.

:tup

Nice to see you hepcat!

It comes down to this, IMO. One site views its boards largely as a way to channel traffic to its core 'business,' while the other views its boards as a genuine community. ... I don't know how many times I heard the phrase "I've got a business to run." ... as in, I can't be bothered with managing board disputes, so -- comments deleted, topic locked, member(s) banned or driven away.

... seems to me, anyways ...

Hi all,

Though having been a rather passive member for half a year now I'd like to officially join the growing group of refugees from "the other board".

Always nice to have a Schwabian viewpoint on the board - welcome Hepcat!

(PS - I lived in Stuttgart for 5 years (99-03) and loved every minute of it!)

It comes down to this, IMO. One site views its boards largely as a way to channel traffic to its core 'business,' while the other views its boards as a genuine community. ... I don't know how many times I heard the phrase "I've got a business to run." ... as in, I can't be bothered with managing board disputes, so -- comments deleted, topic locked, member(s) banned or driven away.

I agree that you have opined an important factor, another one, IMO, is the choice of moderators--we have some really nice guys who themselves are major contributors of content--they tend to have intolerant, self-important police types. I was banished from AAJ for 30 days by one of those goons, but he need not have bothered, I had had my fill and was gone for good as long as he was there. Yesterday, inspired by the recent influx of highly desirable posters from that board, I decided to check it out and came to the conclusion that it would take more than the elimination of Mr. Goon from Ottawa to get me back. These is nothing there to attract me and a whole lot to repel me.

Enough said, glad to have y'all in the Big O community, AAJ exiles.

Hi all,

:tup

Nice to see you hepcat!

Nice to see you papsrus. :)

I agree to your way of characterizing both boards. I've felt uncomfotable for some time now, and the clave/seeline "case" finally tipped the scale. My first impression here is that organissimo is a way more democratic [in its best sense] place even allowing discussions about religion which [iMO] is a really hot topic.

I'm looking forward to add my [very German/European - at times] point of view though trying hard to be a world citizen.

Thanks Aggie87 :)

You know, there's been a good reason to chose my signature. I was born and raised in Northrhine-Westfalia, and moved to Stuttgart in the early '80s only. Hence I'm still rather a "Rheinländer" than "Schwabian". But I agree to you: Stuttgart is a great place for living in Germany. That's also been the reason to stay after my early retirement.

:) same here (but Tuebingen and four years (87-91))

Hi Niko :)

Did you study in Tübingen? I think Tübingen is still one of the most sought after places in Germany for students. A lovely old town with a very special atmosphere due to the large percentage of students.

Woah...welcome to all the newcomers!

I was never much interested in AAJ, a few months ago I got a new computer and it's been impossible for me to log in there. I never made more than a few posts at AAJ over the years anyway, so it's no great loss. The musician's forums are interesting to read sometimes.

I agree that you have opined an important factor, another one, IMO, is the choice of moderators--we have some really nice guys who themselves are major contributors of content--they tend to have intolerant, self-important police types. I was banished from AAJ for 30 days by one of those goons, but he need not have bothered, I had had my fill and was gone for good as long as he was there. Yesterday, inspired by the recent influx of highly desirable posters from that board, I decided to check it out and came to the conclusion that it would take more than the elimination of Mr. Goon from Ottawa to get me back. These is nothing there to attract me and a whole lot to repel me.

Enough said, glad to have y'all in the Big O community, AAJ exiles.

I don't want to join in any kind of AAJ bashing at this board. But I also have to admit that it's hard to hold back because it's been almost impossible to discuss critical topics without being accused of blasphemy.

It has been quite a while since I chose to leave AAJ. It was a power-needy Forum Goon from Ottawa who made me decide to hop a one-way out of there. What happened this time? One thing I have noticed, it is driving the most desirable members into exile--good for us. :)

The goons are still at it, Chris. Look, I like and appreciate Mike Ricci and, apparently, he's personally involved with this latest debacle. I'm sure he'll have something to say. But this is only one in a string of erratic, nonsensical bannings. I'm only too aware that being a moderator is a mostly thankless job but clearly, the structure needs some attention at AAJ. I spoke out in defense of one of the bannished and received a copy of the rules and a not so subtle warning. He might as well have pointed to the door and said, "No soup for you!"

Edited by RonF

:) same here (but Tuebingen and four years (87-91))

Hi Niko :)

Did you study in Tübingen? I think Tübingen is still one of the most sought after places in Germany for students. A lovely old town with a very special atmosphere due to the large percentage of students.

actually i only went to elementary school there (but my dad taught at the university - i guess that's essentially the only reason to move there but a good one); i still fondly remember these days; there were hardly any cars and other dangers so my best friend and me could (were allowed to) do lots of exploring, the castle, the city, the river :)