Glad to be back

troyk

Another AAJ refugee here. I wasn't kicked off but since the community left; clave, bev, words, paps and others thought I would come over here and hang out. Seems like a cool place.

Hah! Cool. Might be time for an orientation meeting soon.

Check out the Artists Forum WB3. Lots of great threads in there. The View New Posts link at the top is handy, too. Even though I've posted here a bit, I'm still kind of feeling my way around getting used to the way it all operates, but it's very cool. And there's a LOT of knowledgeable folks around. Which is great. Learning a lot.

cheers

Edited by papsrus

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That said, I didn't come to this board with the intention of complaining and starting rants about other sites (or people), so once again - I'm just here to yak about music and old TV game shows and whatever else comes to mind on a given thread. :)

:tup

I think you'll fit in quite nicely then! LOL

Hi hepcat1950 and WorldB3!

Can I just say that I enjoyed my time at AAJ very much and have a lot of time for many people there - posters and amongst those who run the board. I hope they can get things sorted out - there are few places to discuss jazz and related musics as it is.

The positive side of this sad episode is returning here and enjoying chatting to people I've not talked with in a while. I've taken my shoes off and put my slippers on.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Hi hepcat1950 and WorldB3!

Can I just say that I enjoyed my time at AAJ very much and have a lot of time for many people there - posters and amongst those who run the board. I hope they can get things sorted out - there are few places to discuss jazz and related musics as it is.

The positive side of this sad episode is returning here and enjoying chatting to people I've not talked with in a while. I've taken my shoes off and put my slippers on.

Bev, any recent haircut photos to share? I've been waiting on those ever since the last ones you posted here shortly before you left a few years ago. :)

hi all. just came to check up on what's going on with the folks i enjoyed reading "over there", especially bev & clave for their long, deep discussions, and sandi for her marvellous stories of the cats she knew "back in the day". still folks i like over there, but make's me feel a bit paranoid. shiver! big brother...

Bev, any recent haircut photos to share? I've been waiting on those ever since the last ones you posted here shortly before you left a few years ago. :)

That must have been when I had a 'No 2 on top, No 1 at the sides' for charity! I get it done like that about once every six months now!

Found this scary place called 'Bulldog Barbers' - the barbers are like bouncers - last time I was there they were giving advice to another customer about getting a stolen DJ kit back - 'Slip Tiger 50 quid and he'll go and get it back for you!' No way are they going near me with a cut throat!

That must have been when I had a 'No 2 on top, No 1 at the sides' for charity! I get it done like that about once every six months now!

Laughed when I read this. I go for the No. 2 all around once every four months or so. Zip, in and out in minutes. I actually had to look around for a barber to do this! I tried three or four who considered themselves "hair stylists," and wanted to style me up a bit instead. And one who actually huffed in an exasperation that, yes, OK, he would shave my head, but he didn't want me telling anyone where I'd gotten my hair cut because it was going to look terrible! Just terrible! ... I was a little nervous as he finished up. Never been back.

Laughed when I read this. I go for the No. 2 all around once every four months or so. Zip, in and out in minutes. I actually had to look around for a barber to do this! I tried three or four who considered themselves "hair stylists," and wanted to style me up a bit instead. And one who actually huffed in an exasperation that, yes, OK, he would shave my head, but he didn't want me telling anyone where I'd gotten my hair cut because it was going to look terrible! Just terrible! ... I was a little nervous as he finished up. Never been back.

Every four to six months?? For me, it's a 2 on top, 1 on the sides every two to three weeks! ^_^

yes, sarpus if you are just doing that why don't you do it yourself? save some money, learn a fun skill.

i have not gotten a professional haircut since high school. my friends and i used to cut each others hair on my parents porch, which i guess was vaguely homoerotic.

i buzzed it for fun a few times since then but usually give myself normal haircuts which are uneven and i look dumb but i cannot stop.

i cut my ex-girlfriend's hair once because she was impressed with the job i did on myself and she went to a very fancy salon (350 haircuts) for her next one and they asked what salon she got her last haircut at. though since then i also stabbed a young woman accidentally giving her a "personal" haircut and i can only imagine how painful that was...she was bleeding pretty bad. i have noticed my own haircuts are getting more uneven and dumber looking as i get older. i am not improving.

I've been getting haircuts for over seven decades and I don't know what a number 1 or 2 is--can someone elucidate?

Yeah, it has to do with the closeness of the crop. No. 1 is one step up from bald. No. 2 is not far off either.

yes, sarpus if you are just doing that why don't you do it yourself? save some money, learn a fun skill.

i have not gotten a professional haircut since high school. my friends and i used to cut each others hair on my parents porch, which i guess was vaguely homoerotic.

i buzzed it for fun a few times since then but usually give myself normal haircuts which are uneven and i look dumb but i cannot stop.

i cut my ex-girlfriend's hair once because she was impressed with the job i did on myself and she went to a very fancy salon (350 haircuts) for her next one and they asked what salon she got her last haircut at. though since then i also stabbed a young woman accidentally giving her a "personal" haircut and i can only imagine how painful that was...she was bleeding pretty bad. i have noticed my own haircuts are getting more uneven and dumber looking as i get older. i am not improving.

You're filling me with confidence. I will try it!

... someday ...

.... maybe ...

i cut my ex-girlfriend's hair once because she was impressed with the job i did on myself and she went to a very fancy salon (350 haircuts) for her next one and they asked what salon she got her last haircut at. though since then i also stabbed a young woman accidentally giving her a "personal" haircut and i can only imagine how painful that was...she was bleeding pretty bad.

Way too go! :lol:

I know someone who had a bit of a drinking problem (not funny) and she hurt a few customers cutting their hair. I hope it wasn't too bad, fortunately, she's in AA now and still has a job.

Found this scary place called 'Bulldog Barbers' - the barbers are like bouncers - last time I was there they were giving advice to another customer about getting a stolen DJ kit back - 'Slip Tiger 50 quid and he'll go and get it back for you!' No way are they going near me with a cut throat!

You're probably fairly safe, unless they start humming Sondheim tunes:

Sweeney%20Todd.jpg

Thanks for the explanation. I guess there was a time when I 1 and 2'ed it, but I keep it somewhat longer now. Of course there was also a time when I kept it shoulder-length, to go with my love beads and tie-dyed tee shirt. :)

The best haircuts I ever got were in London, in the Sixties, when I was working for the BBC. The place was by appointment only and I was told the PM went there. What was so great about the cut was that I just had to run my fingers through my hair and it fell into place, perfectly. Unfortunately, I had to have every other haircut in NYC, but I had that barber do no more than a light trim.

Edited by Christiern

Wasn't that the year they introduced ScalpoSand™? I tried it but came to the conclusion that sandpaper is not the solution for me. Then there was that late-nite-TV contraption, Flowbee© that sucked your hair off...

webrickbotflat2%20copy.jpg

webproduct%20shot%20copy.jpg

I understand it really sucked!

Now back to glad to be back.....good to see you Saundra, don't go away. :)

Nice to see the return/addition of these folks. I've enjoyed their contributions during the little time I've spent at AAJ and look forward to what they have to contribute here.

Welcome, everyone! :)

Frank Rosolino, that caught my eye. A great friend of mine. Such a wonderful talent and more.

Far be it from me to defend the Flowbee, but it didn't really suck your hair off. The idea was that it vacuumed it upright to the length you'd selected (by picking one of the plastic tubes), and then ... well here's the deal:

http://www.flowbee.com/

Just the thought of it still frightens me.

Also, as one of the three moderators here (with Jim sitting above us when needed), I want to say: We are watching you. :crazy: