Peter Brötzmann Corner

AndrewHill

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah ten years later, but what an incredible drummer Han Bennick is: worth rehearsing how exciting he is still! Hope this allowed:

And this  from Amherst:

Kinda like Mingus/Richmond, Brotz/Bennink are another magical combo.

Edited by Holy Ghost

2 hours ago, Holy Ghost said:

what an incredible drummer Han Bennick is

Completely agree!

The 2006 Amherst concert is available on CD on the Bro label (run by Eremite). Some of his best music is available on that label. Bought a ticket to see Peter Brotzmann in Melbourne 5 minutes ago for about USD 15. Can't believe it, every local pub band charges more.

11 hours ago, Misterioso said:

Completely agree!

The 2006 Amherst concert is available on CD on the Bro label (run by Eremite). Some of his best music is available on that label. Bought a ticket to see Peter Brotzmann in Melbourne 5 minutes ago for about USD 15. Can't believe it, every local pub band charges more.

Yeah, I couldn't believe it either when a club here in Cleveland last year was only asking for $20. Albeit, it was a strange line up, I kinda was hoping for a "Die Like a Dog" line up, but regardless, it Brotz! Now that's a steal not a deal!

3 hours ago, Holy Ghost said:

Sounds right, it was a female and she was playing some weird form of a synthesizer or something. It was just him and her.

I was at both shows when Brotzmann and Leigh played the Beachland Ballroom.  Although Brotzmann is known for his intensity, I think that in duos he shows that in his heart he is actually a very melodic reedist.  I know that Brotzmann puts his pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us, but it was kind of surreal to see him perusing the Whole Foods salad bar with Leigh.  He comes across as a pretty quiet, self-effacing man, but I have never spoken to him at a gig.

Edited by Justin V

I spoke to him briefly after an Oto gig and he was charming, almost self-deprecating in his description of the sets he'd just played

I've been enjoying this album a lot recently.the combination really clicks for me. Probably the first time I've knowingly listened to a "stoner rock band" as the label describes them

Totally blown away!!!! just seen that Brotz is doing an Australian tour & playing here in Brisbane on May 5 (Institute of Modern Art)

On 28/03/2018 at 5:45 PM, Misterioso said:

Completely agree!

Misterioso, How did you manage to buy the tickets? I've looked on a couple of sites here in Australia & there do not appear to be any tickets on sale as of yet.

Edited by romualdo

20 minutes ago, romualdo said:

Misterioso, How did you manage to buy the tickets? I've looked on a couple of sites here in Australia & there do not appear to be any tickets on sale as of yet.

The Melbourne concert is organized by a local art collective called Liquid Architecture. After seeing the announcement on PB's homepage, I subscribed to their email newsletter. A few days ago, they announced the concert and provided a link to oztix for purchasing tickets.

The venue here is quite a bit rougher than the Brisbane one and certainly not known for attracting a jazz audience. Will be interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/03/2018 at 11:32 PM, Misterioso said:

The Melbourne concert is organized by a local art collective called Liquid Architecture. After seeing the announcement on PB's homepage, I subscribed to their email newsletter. A few days ago, they announced the concert and provided a link to oztix for purchasing tickets.

The venue here is quite a bit rougher than the Brisbane one and certainly not known for attracting a jazz audience. Will be interesting.

Tickets went up for the Brisbane concert (May 5) last night - they're FREE!!! but very limited numbers/space (scored two)

Edited by romualdo

• 3 years later...