Peter Brötzmann Corner

AndrewHill

I have been on a Peter Brotzmann kick for the last two years straight. Not only do I find almost every recording he's made consistantly rewarding, but even his side projects are very notable. The first Brotzmann cd I ever bought was Machine Gun and everytime I listen to it, I can pick out something new that I didn't hear previously. The three-prong attack of Brotz, Willem Breuker and Evan Parker has got to be one of the most startling things I have ever heard in music. Over the years, Brotzmann seems to have never let up, or gone "soft" as his recordings with the Chicago Tentet have shown. So what are your impressions? What do you own by Brotzmann? This is what I have:

Machine Gun-FMP

No Nothing-FMP

Wie Das Leben So Spielt-FMP

Die Like A Dog-FMP

Little Birds Have Fast Hearts Vol I-FMP

Little Birds Have Fast Hearts Vol II-FMP

Brotzmann Chicago Tentet +2-Broken English-Okka Disk

Brotzmann Chicago Tentet +2-Short Visit to Nowhere-Okka Disk

Brotzmann Chicago Tentet-Stone/Water-Okka Disk

Brotzmann Chicago Tentet-Images-Okka Disk

Die Like a Dog Quartet-From Valley to Valley-Eremite

Nipples-Calig/UMS

Fuck De Boere-Hr?/UMS

For Adolphe Sax-FMP?/UMS

FMP 0130-FMP/UMS

Berlin Djungle-FMP/UMS

Alarm-FMP/UMS

Pica Pica-FMP/UMS

Balls-FMP/UMS

Scharzwaldfahrt-FMP/UMS

Last Exit:

Iron Path-Virgin Venture

Last Exit-Enemy

Koln-ITM CD

Edited by Holy Ghost

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Separated by format:

Morning Glory/For Adolphe Sax

Machine Gun

Nipples

Balls

Elements

Couscouss de la Mauresque

The End

Brotzmann (FMP / aka 0130)

Solo

Eine Halber Hund Kann Nicht Pinkeln

Schwarzwaldfahrt

Open, but Hardly Touched

Alarm

Pica Pica

Fourteen Love Poems

Berlin Djungle

Stone Water

The Ink is Gone

Still Quite Popular...

Never too Late but Always too Early

Guts

More Nipples

Fuck de Boere

Brotzmann/Waits Live at the Bottle

Tales out of Time

Signs

Images

American Landscapes 1 & 2

Be Music, Night

probably a few more I am forgetting, as well as about 5 or 6 live bootlegs and a fair amount of "sideman" appearances.

Love his work, probably always will.

Edited by clifford_thornton

CD:

Dare Devil

For Adolph Sax

From Valley to Valley

Live at Bottle Fest

Live in Beiruit

Machine Gun

Never Too Soon, Always Too Late

Pica Pica

The Dried Rat-Dog

Total Music Meeting 1977

mp3:

The Nearer the Bone, the Sweeter the Meat

Ein Halber Hund Kann Nicht Pinkeln

Fuck de Boere

Live in Okiyama 1987

Nipples

More Nipples

Berlin Djungle

Brotzmann/Sabu Duo

Alarm

Headfirst Into the Flames

The Noise of Trouble

LP:

Still Quite Popular...

The Ink is Gone

The Atlanta Concert

There is a willingness to play at a less-than-full throttle setting now than in, say, 1968. I have sold a few things in the past that didn't catch my ear, but I am almost always in awe and enjoyment when listening. Seen him twice, had brief conversations with him about his instruments and graphic designs. I have his book "The Inexplicable Flyswatter" featuring his early works, published a few years back.

Here are three video clips I took from a concert last year:

Seen him twice, had brief conversations with him about his instruments and graphic designs. I have his book "The Inexplicable Flyswatter" featuring his early works, published a few years back.

Here are three video clips I took from a concert last year:

Thanks for the clips. Have never seen Brotz, but I would really like to.

I am lucky, living in Chicago, because Brotzmann makes regular visits here. He's here as I type this now, in fact. I saw him in duo with Fred Lonberg-Holm on Wednesday night. I don't much care for FL-H, but Brotz blew strong as always. I've probably seen him 9 or 10 times. I wish I had the time (or the ability to stay up late enough on weekdays) to catch a couple more of the current "Tentet 10th Anniversary" shows:

http://tentet.umbrellamusic.org/

Anyway, let's see what discs I have here:

For Adolphe Sax

Machine Gun

Balls

FMP 130

3 Points and a Mountan...

Lowlife

Reserve

Last Exit-Koln

Songlines

Die Like a Dog

Little Birds Have Fast Hearts No. 1

Chicago Octet/Tentet (disc 2 now playing...)

Stone/Water

Broken English

Short Visit to Nowhere

The Atlanta Concert LP

Guts

Live in Beirut (just picked up this duo with Michael Zerang at Wednesday's show)

Plus I have a number of emusic downloads. Oh, and I recently bought but have not yet heard Tales Out of Time.

I may have to pick up that Die Like a Dog box set--it wouldn't cost much more than buying the remaining two FMP discs that I don't yet have.

My wish is that Okkadisk will someday put out a show I saw at the Empty Bottle, a duo with Robert Barry, that was absolutely unbelievable. Only a handful of people were in the audience, as it was snowing like a motherfucker that night, but I was sure glad I braved it, because it was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. Malachi Ritscher recorded it, like so many Bottle shows, so I'm keeping fingers crossed.

I own:

For Adolphe Sax

Machine Gun

Fuck de Boere

Nipples

3 Points and a Mountan...plus

Berlin Djungle

Eight by Three with Borgman and Braxton

Die Like a Dog

Stone/Water

Broken English

I like the first three plus Berlin Djungle the best. Fuck de Boere is fantastic.

I saw the Tentet plus Two around the time they recorded Broken English. Pretty good show. Joe McPhee was amazing, vocalizing over a drone through his valve trombone while circular breathing. As for Brotzmann, I enjoy his playing, but grow weary if I hear too much of it.

First time I heard Brotzmann was back in the summer of 1966 when he appeared with Han Bennink and Peter Kowald at the Comblain jazz festival in Belgium.

One of the first concert appearances from the trio.

To be honest, Brotzmann was not the reason I traveled to Comblain. The festival headliners were Benny Goodman, Stan Getz, Anita O'Day, Paul Bley, Barney Wilen and others.

Been a fan since and I have a couple dozen albums. Listen to them via headphones (my wife can stand Ayler but not Brotzmann!).

Interesting timing, because I've been digging him more and more recently. The last couple weeks I've been listening to Machine Gun, Nipples, Balls, and Fuck de Boere, and like all of them, though Machine Gun is definitely the best, and about as close to an "essential" disc from that scene that you will ever come across. As the first poster said, there is no other sound in music quite like the sonic attack that breaks out on that disc.

I don't have many CDs, but "The Dried Rat Dog" is outstanding, for sure!

I also have that disc on Ayler Records, but I never connected with that one so far...

Then at least one more there is, by the old Brötz trio (Brötz/Van Hove/Bennink), that one's quite good, can't recall its title.

Got tons of live stuff, though, including an audience taping of a beautiful solo concert... just a week ago, I had the first chance to see him live, with the power trio including Michael Wertmüller on drums and Marino Pliakas on electric bass... incredible, as far as the energy goes, but as I posted elsewhere, I wasn't really sure what to make of it...

My wish is that Okkadisk will someday put out a show I saw at the Empty Bottle, a duo with Robert Barry, that was absolutely unbelievable. Only a handful of people were in the audience, as it was snowing like a motherfucker that night, but I was sure glad I braved it, because it was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. Malachi Ritscher recorded it, like so many Bottle shows, so I'm keeping fingers crossed.

I remember that gig! Very good indeed...

I remember that gig! Very good indeed...

Really? Awesome. We should start a letter-writing campaign!