Peter Brötzmann Corner

AndrewHill

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

70th Birthdat tribute @ Vision Fest in early June

On Wednesday, June 8th, we celebrate a lifetime of achievement by the great saxophone and clarinet player, Peter Brötzmann. First European musician to be honored at the Vision Festival, Peter Brötzmann has been a leading voice in the Creative Jazz field for more than forty years. We are delighted to present his duo with drummer Hamid Drake, his quintet with Ken Vandermark, Mars Williams, Kent Kessler and Hamid Drake and his quartet with Joe McPhee, Eric Revis and Nasheet Waits.

70th Birthdat tribute @ Vision Fest in early June

On Wednesday, June 8th, we celebrate a lifetime of achievement by the great saxophone and clarinet player, Peter Brötzmann. First European musician to be honored at the Vision Festival, Peter Brötzmann has been a leading voice in the Creative Jazz field for more than forty years. We are delighted to present his duo with drummer Hamid Drake, his quintet with Ken Vandermark, Mars Williams, Kent Kessler and Hamid Drake and his quartet with Joe McPhee, Eric Revis and Nasheet Waits.

Nice! That gives me enough time to plan to attend :tup

I've tried VERY hard, watching various youtube clips, listened to some of "Machine Gun" and I just can't get into it, I'll keep trying I guess..... It's weird that I love things like Trane "Live in Japan" and "Song X" but not Brotzmann. I think the most interesting thing about his approach is like tonally he takes a cue from Hawk and applies it in a free idiom.

He's a big Hawk fan, indeed. I would say Song X and Live in Japan are much more melodically easy to get into than much of Brotzmann's work. The quartet with McPhee, Kessler, and Zerang might be a good place for you to start - dip into Tales out of Time on Hat Hut, for example, which is a favorite of mine.

He's a big Hawk fan, indeed. I would say Song X and Live in Japan are much more melodically easy to get into than much of Brotzmann's work. The quartet with McPhee, Kessler, and Zerang might be a good place for you to start - dip into Tales out of Time on Hat Hut, for example, which is a favorite of mine.

Yeah, I was trying to think of recommendations too (great rec Clifford!). The Chicago Tentet material may also serve as a good starting point too. I found Stone/Water and Images, both on Okka Disk, to be fairly assessable as well. Give him another try, there's a lot of great music to be discovered here!

Thanks for the recs. :) Stuff with no discernable melody isn't a problem for me, it might just be Brotz' full throttle intensity that I've grappled with. "Machine Gun" and "Balls" remind me of "Ascension" levels of intensity x20 on steroids. I can't afford to buy more discs at the moment so I will see if Rhapsody has them and check them out there. I read an interview with Brotzmann once and like Cecil Taylor, his listening tastes seemed to be some of the most inside stuff you can think of, pretty funny. I also find it cool that players like Eric Revis and Nasheet Waits are in his quartet b/c we think of them as mainstream players but they can play free too, I heard Revis play outside on "Braggtown" by Branford.

Edited by CJ Shearn

Cecil, like Bill Dixon, didn't start as an avant-garde musician - especially when you note that he came up in Harlem in the late '40s/early '50s. I think of him as a bebopper at heart, and a player of lyrical subtlety whose fondness for the crooners doesn't go unnoticed. But then I might be in the minority.

Thanks for the recs. :) Stuff with no discernable melody isn't a problem for me, it might just be Brotz' full throttle intensity that I've grappled with. "Machine Gun" and "Balls" remind me of "Ascension" levels of intensity x20 on steroids. I can't afford to buy more discs at the moment so I will see if Rhapsody has them and check them out there. I read an interview with Brotzmann once and like Cecil Taylor, his listening tastes seemed to be some of the most inside stuff you can think of, pretty funny. I also find it cool that players like Eric Revis and Nasheet Waits are in his quartet b/c we think of them as mainstream players but they can play free too, I heard Revis play outside on "Braggtown" by Branford.

no idea whether this works in your corner of the world, but overhere quite a few Brotzmann albums can be heard on www.deezer.com

• 2 weeks later...