Jack Teagarden, "Accent on Trombone" (Urania)

Bol

I recently picked up this CD from a used store. It's a wonderful session of some of the most lovable songs. The band includes Ruby Braff, Lucky Thompson, Denzil Best, and Milt Hinton. Lucky Thompson's brief but amazing solo in "A Hundred Years from Today" is alone worth the $9 I paid for the CD. I think this reissue came out very recently and should be available readily.

All of the above! Great record!

The "Lover" Brownie mentions is indeed a great track. It's the Rodger's and Hart "Lover" and was something of a showcase for Jack Teagarden. Two other versions by him (neither under his name) that come to mind are one with Louis Armstrong (a live version with the all stars - I think on Satchmo At Symphony Hall, or perhaps Satchmo In Boston) and one on Jump records that I don't think ever made it to cd with Charlie LaVere and his Chicago Loopers.

I have a ver early cd incarnation of this titled 'accent on trombone'--I think it's from fresh sounds..hard to tell, the cd was manufactured in Switzerland, but all of the notes are written in Spanish. No identification of 'fresh sounds' on the cd booklet or case. Whatever the case, beautiful music but lousy remastering (assuming there was any), with Milt Hinton's bass sounding like mud.

Thanks, Guy.

Ok, Alamac, yeah, what a trip that stuff was. Talk about coming out of nowhere and going back almost as fast...

I think it's pretty funny that Drive Archive (another "out of nowhere and gone again" outfit...) didn't know the real source of what they were putting out. Kinda makes you wonder...

Thanks, Guy.

Ok, Alamac, yeah, what a trip that stuff was. Talk about coming out of nowhere and going back almost as fast...

I think it's pretty funny that Drive Archive (another "out of nowhere and gone again" outfit...) didn't know the real source of what they were putting out. Kinda makes you wonder...

Record companies are unfathomable - espescially budget things. Which I'm sure you guys already know. When I was a kid a bought a budget lp on Rondo-lette. The cover was a fount of mis-information. It proclaimed "Jam Session - Sidney Bechet, Muggsy Spanier vintage 1946." That was about the extent of any information. It turn out to be the 6 o the 8 tunes from 1940 Bechet - Spanier HRS session and 3 tunes from a Rex Stewart 1946 record date with Barney Bigard and Lawrence Brown. The record's sound was actually pretty good too.

Oh, I bought the Alamacs...about 3 LPs of Bird stuff that had (mostly) never seen public issue before, the '44(?) Eckstine band's airshot, a Hamp airshot w/Mingus, plenty of goodies, and sold dirt cheap too, $2.98 per, IIRC. Always found 'em in some off the wall place, like in a "special" box at a book store or something like that. Never on the shelves of a regular record store.

Of course, now that everything's been out on CD, it's no big whoop. But back then, it was a good case of serendippity-doo.