alfred brendel to retire at end of next year

Thank you for the heads up!

I have been on the fence about seeing him perform in March with Osmo Vänskä and the Minnesota Orchestra. Hearing the info prompted me to see if there were tickets, which I broke down and bought because they were on sale for $45.

The program has Webern Passacaglia, Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 3, and Shostakovich Symphony No. 6.

I saw him with the Berliner Philarmoniker conducted by Abbado at the Royal Albert Hall, many many years ago. I forgot the program, but a great performance. The same year I got the Ninth of Beethoven played by London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Tennstedt.

Curiosly the young Brendel on picture looked like my father, an impressive likeness.

• 2 weeks later...

actually, it's spelt Bren-dull... nice programming by Osmo, however (really)... no o-ffense to al-o© but Brendel has been clogging the racks with his overwhelming brand-name dullardness for waaaaaaaaaay too long & at best he should have retired 20 goddamn years ago. goodbye & good riddance (for unforgivable crimes against Schubert, among others)

from the classical desk,

edc

i understand, edc.

that needed said.

actually, it's spelt Bren-dull... nice programming by Osmo, however (really)... no o-ffense to al-o© but Brendel has been clogging the racks with his overwhelming brand-name dullardness for waaaaaaaaaay too long & at best he should have retired 20 goddamn years ago. goodbye & good riddance (for unforgivable crimes against Schubert, among others)

from the classical desk,

edc

ouch!!! :huh:

Clem,

I understand your points, though I am not an expert of classical music at all. It just happen that I am reading a Lester Bangs' book, and I remember your post about Bangs e Astral Week. You said F*** Lester, but both of you share the very same attitude towards music business, no offense, obviously.

Clem, I am a MOTORbiker, so I am a serious follower of MOTORbike's racing. I quitted following bike racing because of doping scandals many years ago, after Pantani's story. Never heard of Dario Pegoretti.

Anyway I think I got your points, from all your posts I read in the years I desume that:

1) nobody is great on all composers/works

2) somebody is somewhat corrupted by the label's star system and quit to explore/advance, tho some of his/her early performances could be notable/worthing to discover/rediscover

3) somebody achieved a deep view ageing, like a great red wine.

• 4 weeks later...

Brendel, Perahia, Uchida &, in America (tho' to lesser degree bc he came along later), Richard Goode are all BRANDS. BRANDS. BRANDS.

everyone you hear about them-- & ya'll DO hear a lot, relatively speaking-- need to considered through that BUSINESS filter.

that said, there are plenty of terrific musicians who did & do record for non- DG, Sony, Decca, Philips (none of which exist as they did anymore anyway) so... tho' it's harder to find their cds, it's almost always worth the extra effort.

from the classical desk,

edc