Son wants an electric guitar

skeith

He wants a 3/4 size because the regular is too big.

Basic options in that size and our price range ($100-$150) is a Fender Squire and Ibanez (not sure what the model name is).

I played them both in a store and seemed ok.

Probably an impossible question- but for you guitarists out there familiar with the current scene ( I owned a Les Paul 30 years ago) would you recommend one over the other?

I actually like Squires. For $100 you get a guitar that doesn't sound all that much different from any other strat, and I really like the necks.

I don't like the beginers' Ibanez guitars as much because they have this thick, modern rock sound to me that I don't care for much. But if that is what your son likes, it may be a better option.

He wants a 3/4 size because the regular is too big.

Basic options in that size and our price range ($100-$150) is a Fender Squire and Ibanez (not sure what the model name is).

I played them both in a store and seemed ok.

Probably an impossible question- but for you guitarists out there familiar with the current scene ( I owned a Les Paul 30 years ago) would you recommend one over the other?

The Fender Squires are great for the price. You may need to get the intonation and action adjusted, but they are very playable guitars.

g

I'd go with the Fender, but in that price range, they're all made in Mexico or the Far East...maybe even at the same factory.

When you're asking about 3/4 size, you're referring to a very short scale neck, right?

I am not a player, but my sons play - started them with Squires ~ 5 years ago, definitely recommended

my sense is that Fender is using these more to get aspiring young guitarists "hooked" on the brand and are putting out a relatively high quality product at that price point

I'd say a Fender Mustang would be perfect, but way out of your price range. 24" scale, but $500-600. I wonder if Ibanez or Squire) has anything like that.

For comparison, typical scale length is 24.75" (Gibson) and 25.5" (Fender). Scale length is the distance between the nut and the bridge, so the shorter neck would have the frets closer together.