It's a Wonderful Organissimo Board

ghost of miles

Apparently...and not a joke, judging from Jim's comment in that thread.

A very sad event if it indeed comes to pass, and I think we should do whatever it takes--more contributions, more self-policing in the realm of calling out posters for abusive language/name-calling, etc. (haven't noticed as much of this lately, but I haven't been following as many threads as I used to). This place is invaluable as a jazz discussion forum, and I know I'd miss it like HELL... I've thrown in $$ to help out before and am willing to do so again--or even to help moderate, if need be.

Edited by ghost of miles

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really sorry to hear it, I love this place and the friends I've made here.

Jim, thank you for all your hard work. It's a wonder you've been able to mix it in to your exceptionally busy schedule this long. I hope there is some way you'll change your mind, but if not I understand.

This place is my favorite bulletin board, and I'm sad to see that it's going away, but I also understand Jim's situation with the board - both the expenses involved in keeping it up, and the time/stress it takes to police and keep things running.

What are the choices we have, moving forward? Any ideas?

I'd also like to thank Jim for all he's done for our community over the past few years, since the BNBB shutdown.

It's difficult to put into words what this board has meant to me over the last four years... as a direct result of this community, I've met a whole bunch of great people (both in-person on "on-line"), been introduced to a truly amazing amount of great music, and learned so much, about jazz and other things as well.

Thanks, Jim!

I've had a feeling that this was coming for some time. I think Jim's had enough, and I don't blame him one bit. It was a great run, and I appreciate Jim, Joe and Randy for providing us with such a great place to hang. I've learned a lot, I've made some friends that I hope will keep in touch, and I will truly miss this place. I check in here many times during the day, and it's become a bit of a home for me, especially after moving to a new place where I don't have a lot of friends yet. I've tried some of the other jazz boards, but I just can't get interested.

Who knows, maybe there will be another jazz board like this one someday. I would like to ask that anyone interested in keeping in touch PM me email addresses, and if another board comes into existence I hope we can gather there. I'd hate to think of all these wonderful people just disappearing into cyberspace.

This is not unexpected, but nonetheless very sad news. I'm glad we have a few weeks to wrap up. Let's enjoy the time we have left.

Thanks everyone, and all the best to each and every one of you! :)

Edit: I'm sure gonna miss the live chat gang! :(

Edited by Free For All

No chance of keeping it here or elsewhere?

Idea:

Move it/keep it here and

... put some community code into place;

... get ten respected members to police it;

... figure out a way of financing (larger parts of) it.

Interested/ideas?

Post here.

P.S.: The other thread is locked and what I wanted to post as a response there I'll send to Jim as a PM later this week.

Edited by neveronfriday

I would like to ask that anyone interested in keeping in touch PM me email addresses, and if another board comes into existence I hope we can gather there. I'd hate to think of all these wonderful people just disappearing into cyberspace.

I'd like to suggest that anyone who is interested in maintaining contact with people that they post their emails in this thread. I know you can end up with plenty of spam but I haven't been shy about posting my main email address on the board and my spam situation is no worse than most. So I'll start:

anyone who doesn't have my email and wishes to keep in touch, its dangould@hotmail.com

If others follow suit, you can peruse this thread and collect emails of anyone who you don't already communicate with offline.

As for the closing of the board, I'll live, as I think we all will. There really isn't a lot of "new" jazz discussion going on and for that matter, I've largely moved on musically as far as time spent listening goes. I'll miss Jim S. posts because while we communicate offline, you don't get the same sort of "general interest" type of commentary. I'll also miss Chris A.'s posts of objects from his treasure trove of jazz and blues memorabilia.

Its too bad that I will be offline for the final week of the year, but as they say, all good things must come to an end.

As someone who posted in that thread, and probably contributing to the overall down mood lately, I would first and foremost like to apologize for doing so.

Having said that, I will miss the people, but I won't miss the "board" itself. I have neither the self-will nor discipline to keep myself away from here. As a result, I end up spending a lot of time here when I should be doing other things. Like right now at work, for instance.

Most importantly, I want to thank Jim for putting up with us. I don't know about Jim, but I feel like I've become a lot more cynical, negative, skeptical, and resigned about everything, all the things I don't want to be. You'd never know that from my last few posts, though. I don't know if Jim has been affected in the same way by running this board, but I have to think it's finally taken its toll, and for that I feel partly responsible and apologize greatly for that.

It was fun while it lasted, that's for sure.

acrearick@hotmail.com is my e-mail address for anyone interested.

Edited by Big Al

stange happenings, and unfortunate, yes - with all its digressions, I find this board a great place (maybe BECAUSE of all its digressions) - I may be wrong, but I'm willing to bet the financial aspect is what drags Jim down the most - not that he is not upset by the other, but he probably feels like he has to pay for all of this grief, and I can understand his desire not to -

my email, btw, is allenlowe@verizon.net

phone is 207-741-2846

web site is www.allenlowe.com

SS #: 999-99999-999999-555555-456545654656

If this turns out to be real - YIKES, can't believe it - well, I've been putting off setting up a blog on my web site - but would be happy to do it if it's manageable - with a select few - sort of like in Dr. Strangelove where the Nazi doctor says that the world of the future will be for the intellectual superior to mate with the most beautiful women available - so - if your IQ is above 175, OR you are physically attractive (of course, I'm 2 for 2, but we can't all expect to do so well) - well, than you may survive this -

So this looks like it's the end. Or it will be in a few days :mellow:

It's been an interesting journey for several years...

Thanks must go to Jim A. for providing the place and letting us roam freely. Everybody can understand his reasoning.

The BNBB was the first Board I joined. This was the second. I don't think I will join another one (not JC or AAJ in any case)!

Well, it's time to move on!

Good luck to everyone!

No chance of keeping it here or elsewhere?

Idea:

Move it/keep it here and

... put some community code into place;

... get ten respected members to police it;

... figure out a way of financing (larger parts of) it.

Interested/ideas?

Post here.

P.S.: The other thread is locked and what I wanted to post as a response there I'll send to Jim as a PM later this week.

A few moderators would not be such a bad thing, if it's too much for Jim to follow.

Maybe sell some advertising space? Doesn't AAJ do that?

Charge a fee per post. ;)

I'm with those that would like to see the place stay. Sure, I can understand Jim wanting to shut it down, but is it the bb that costs so much to run and is a pain in the ass or the entire site? Would you be closing both?

Anyways, I hope to see it stay. No argument the board has changed but in the end it's still a pretty decent group of people here and it is doubtful we would find another place with the freedoms and history this one had. I would miss it for sure.

yeah I know, my previous post is the kinda thing that's ruined this board -

HOWEVER -

I am serious about the blog; anybody who wants to keep this going (assuming we cannot kidnap Jim's family and hold them hostage to this web site) can email me if they feel like it - allenlowe@verizon.net

maybe we can do a thing like Doug Ramsey - though technically, right now, I have no idea of how to do any of this -

and, by the way, a major thanks to Jim - I certainly have done my share of tension-inducing things here, but he, by keeping this going in spite of people like me, has done the jazz community a major service - better than 200 arts organizations funded by the NEA, and I am absolutely serious about that - I have worked in many sides of that arts world, and I have rarely seen a place as open and stimulating as this one -

Edited by AllenLowe

Yes, I too will miss it. But thanks for the ride, Jim. It's been great . All the best.

email- jajtapscott@sympatico.ca

P.S. Kind of wanted to say this for a long time, but if someone else takes it over or starts a new Board under another name, whatever, I suggest either banning political/religious discussions altogether, or segregating them in a way that all the music topics are together in one section and everything else in another section. In other words, you might have two icons with one saying, "Today's Music Topics" and another saying "Today's Other Topics." I've seen this on another Board. That way you could click on the music topics and not have to scroll through all the other stuff. 'Cause it sure ain't the music that causes the problems here.

Edited by John Tapscott

I'd echo much of Al's and others comments above.

The board must truly be a hardship for Jim.

Thanks for putting this place together and tweaking it like you did.

I've learned a great deal here and have had my ears spun around for the best many many many times over . Hopefully I was able in my trollish way to hip someone to something as well.

And hopefully my twisted sense of humor caused no harm and if it did I'd hope a salt shaker was used.

oh, and Go Buckeyes. :g

Not to nitpick, but the post the may or not have been the "last straw" for Jim doesn't even seem to me to have been a negative post:

this is the sort of self-centered arrogance which is ruining the board.

The tense is off.

I'd use past tense here.

Past tense (ok, past progressive or whatever):

this is the sort of self-centered arrogance which was ruining the board.

Given the context that the poster making this post left the board in frustration and then came back later , it seems to me that this is what he intended and not something like:

this is the sort of self-centered arrogance which ruined/has ruined the board.